One week after operation.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I had left foot Scarf Osteotomy lateral release extensor tenotomy last Friday, I can't pretend I know exactly what's been done as hidden under a big fat Bandage. I was given a shoe and told I given crutches when I was unable to walk directly after the operation. In fact the information of what I am allowed to do is a bit vague. Not sure if I was given it due to the Morphine. I was able to waddle in my special shoe that prevents me putting my toe down after day 3 but that was limited. Now a can walk a little further without the crutches. I have been more or less been keeping my leg up most of the time for the first week and I shall do the same next week too. I am more or less pain free but not exactly sure if I should be walking without the crutches. I really don't want to do any damage. Please can anyone help me. 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Nicolla I so wish I had a indoor cycle, all this sitting around is not helping my diet. On to of that my bandage slipped to the point it felt like it would come off. I undid it a tiny bit and tightened it now it feels uncomfortable... Roll Thursday ! 
    • Posted

Is it your two-week appointment then on Thursday? It is horrible to sit around when you're usually active but I think that spending two weeks doing everything with one leg in the air was probably good for my core muscles! A lot of people's bandages come loose, I believe. The nurse was surprised mine hadn't when I turned up for the two-week appointment. Maybe they would re-do it properly for you if you asked on Monday. Once your foot stops hurting so much, like after a couple of weeks, you can work out some exercises to do that won't hurt your foot. I went to my local gym hoping they had a hand cycling machine like I had used previously when I lived somewhere else but they didn't have one. It would have been perfect! You just sit up and use your hands to pedal at about shoulder height. Roll on two-and-a-half weeks time - my six week appointment!
  • Posted

I like the idea of a stationary bike!as of yesterday I am one week out of surgery, I've been walking with crutches and have progressed to my my boot, doing some cooking and housekeeping, but pay for it with pain at night. I'm still glad that I am becoming more mobile as it gives me a better mental outlook. I am a fitness instructor and cannot afford to continue to put weight on by being down, I agree with you that it is hard to stay fit with such sedentary behavior
  • Posted

It is Vanessa, seems we had our operations around the same time. I am sure I have already gained a few pound, something I can't afford to do as I am already overweight. It's funny all the things that that have to be taken into account when having this operation. I for one would not have changed my mind if I knew every thing that I know now then. I would defiantly say, I would still have it... 
    • Posted

hi Sue, it's nice to know I have a sister in surgery. You are right, there are so many things to think about when preparing for surgery, my preparation consisted of completing my work life, scheduling backups, and organizing my house somewhat. I did however neglect to prepare the right foods in advance. My husband is not a chef nor is he a great caregiver so we have been eating a lot of frozen food. 6 years ago I lost 125 pounds and I have no intention of putting it back on so let me encourage both of us that when our recovery is over we be active and regain the fitness level desired. I am going stir crazy and probably have a lot of people on facebook collapsing my thread so I am very grateful for this forum, it takes a little pressure off my facebook family. I wish you all the best! 😊
  • Posted

My husband is the same, he's no chef not nurse, but he's good with the vacuum cleaner and has done pretty well with frozen food and supermarket and other well known stores meal deals. I agree get fit after all this is over....like you I am very glad that this forum is here, without it I would have also been driving my facebook and real friends and family mad. X 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.