One week post op for posterior repair surgery advice needed

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I had a posterior repair surgery last Monday. From a copy of the letter I had a grade 1 uterine prolapse and a grade 3 rectoenterocele which was different than the grade 2 rectocele I was going in for, but other than being in terrible pain I had my first bowel movement on Saturday and lost alot of blood after, fresh blood, called ward and they said see how I am, bleeding yesterday but not fresh blood, after an uncomfortable night have had bowel movement this morning now I feel prolapse is back sad Please any advice on is this normal? I'm so depressed it's failed sad

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Donna, it's unlikly to have failed at this stage.

What you are feeling is swelling from the surgery, and is totally normal. As long as the bleeding didn't start to be heavy again, and is old blood, I wouldn't worry.

I had enormous difficulty with bm's after surgery, and for weeks afterwards.

You are at a very a early stage, just rest, take it really easy, give your body time to recover.

Are you taking stool softeners and drinking plenty? That will make bm easier, but it's not great at first, and it's a major surgery.

No doubt others will come and also try to reassure you.

Bur far too early to worry about failure, a lot of stages to go tgrough yet.c.

• Posted

Hi! Thank you so much for your reply. Yes I' m doing all that was advised to eating lots of fruit, drinking lots of water and taking lLactulose and spending time resting. My heart just sunk this morning feeling like was all for nothing. Did your stomach feel like a washing machine gurgling away? Thank you x

• Posted

Yes! Sounded like thunder, lol.

and the wind, well that's another story, could clear a room in seconds.

It's all to do with lactulose, fruit,  liquids etc.

Please don't worry, it is a long recovery, it's totally normal, and it also plays on your mind.

Just rest, rest, rest. Watch tv, read, and sleep when you can.x.

• Posted

Hi thank you again for your reply and thank you for reassuring me it's not just me then - even the wind is painful! Tell me did it feel for you to actually release a 'poo' easily as for me it just feels like it is there but I can't actually release it? Sorry for the tmi/personal questions but your info would be very much appreciated, thank you

• Posted

No, it's ok, I don't mind, we all do it.

No it was very difficult, you haven't to push too hard, you musten't strain because of the stitches. The only way I could cope was like you, take softeners and laxatives and drink lots, fresh orange juice, and water mainly, so that my bladder was full, and I had chronic wind.

Then when I held on and my bladder was desperate to emoty, I found the wind and wee created a mini explosion and emptied my bowel as well, pretty quickly. I needed to be near a loo!!!

My mind became fixated on that event every couple of days, but it wotked for me.

I'd had a rectocele and never felt empty for several years, so the relief of actually going normally, albeit in a rush, was enormous.

Plus my bowel/ rectal muscles had become lazy, and I couldn't achieve anything by pushung gently!

I've more or less weaned myself of laxatives now, and onto lots of wind producing food stuffs, like cauliflower, coleslaw, huge salads, and it works for me.

It gets easier, honestly it does.

• Posted

Apologies for typos!
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your help and all your advice. I feel the same as if my bowel/rectal muscles have gone on strike or something as they have forgot how to work and about the explosions I feel that will be me this week and yes it does seem to happen whilst emptying full bladder! Thank you so much your experiences/advice has been so helpful x
    • Posted

A bit graphic, but I think when you've been pushing accross ito a rectocele for a long time, it's hard to get the knack of pushing down and out, but when you do get it, it definitely feels different, then you almost have to relearn how to push the right way.

Good luck with the explosions😡

• Posted

Hi Donna I agree with Laura.

I had rectocele surgery last Wednesday and after the first BM I felt swelling like the prolapse was still there ( but it wasn't!)

When my dr let me go from hospital I shared with him my fears about BM after the op and he told me that the stitches are very well sewn and it would be quite improbable to make the op fail. He compared it with an hemorrhoid surgery...the stitches don't get loose just with a BM. He recommended not to strain in the bath, just to let it go which is very difficult!!!!

Please take stool softeners but if they are not enough ask your dr if you can take a soft laxative every other day just for these days. I took yesterday one and this morning the effect of the laxative with the lactulosa has made me go without straining.

Hope this helps! Hugs!!

• Posted

Hi thank you so much for the reply, l am glad it's not just me - I felt so alone about this as I don't know anyone who has had this surgery or similar I maybe shoud of asked more questions like you! I'm taking Lactulose but my husband did get me some senokot one a day which I took yesterday but my stomach sounds like a washing machine today so I won't take those too often. Thank you for your help wishing you well for your recovery also x

• Posted

The stomach sounding as a washing machine is normal don't worry about that. The important thing is that you go to the bath without straining.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply and reassuring me, I really aappreciate it! Yes I am trying my best but not sure if i am doing it very well! I just feel like there is a small 'poo' there that just won't come out, sorry for the tmi/personal talk - hope your recovery Iis going well are you getting similar symptoms? Take care

• Posted

Hello donna. It I should perfectly normal for the swelling to get worse around the 7-10 day mark and it's a shame they didn't explain that to you before you were discharged. It's extremely unlikely your repair will have failed so please don't worry. Read the information on the Genitourinary home page under Useful Resources, the South Tees Information is helpful. Regarding the different grades of prolapse, urogynaecologists often can't be accurate when measuring the prolapse because of the position of it and to be honest it doesn't really matter because the operation itself is the same. Your pain would be the same same as is  the recovery. Are you taking stool softeners? They will really help you when you're having your bowels opened. If not buy some Dulcoese from a pharmacy and they will start to work after about 3 days.

• Posted

Hello thank you for your reply, I really appreciate the information and I will check those pages x No they didn't inform me that the pain/discomfort was going to get worse at all so thankyou for telling me that as with the prolapse feeling and feeling much more swollen around the whole pubic area today I thought I'd done something really wrong! Can I possibly ask a question as I've had a look on the Internet today but can't find when would be suitable to have a bath? I don't want to do any damage but I love having a bath any info on this would be appreciated. Thank you again x

• Posted

donna regarding you having a bath it's difficult for me to answer because it depends on the type of sutures used. Again they should have told you but the general rule is not before 6 weeks because it can make the sutures soggy. If you are desperate for a bath, ring the ward you were on and ask one if the nurses x

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply, no advice regarding baths as in when or when not to sad but thankyou for telling me I will avoid one until the six week appointment. I rang the ward over the weekend regarding the bleeding and they wasn't too helpful but I really appreciate your advice x

• Posted

I think it's better to be safe but you can always was your bits and pieces gently preferably with a feminine wash if possible. I was desperate for a lovely soak in the bath following my repair but had to wait. Keep resting donna and take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.