One Week Since TKR

Posted , 13 users are following.

My husband had a TKP one week ago and he is worried that whilst sitting on the floor doing exercises he can't lift his leg and he is not a person to give up as he has a lot of will power but is this anything to worry about I think still early but would appreciate if this is normal thanks

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What I remember and the best way to describe it is that your whole leg is a dead weight. No matter how I tried initially I even said to the leg MOVE.  It will I promise you get easier but no quick fix.  If it doesn't get in touch with GP or physio,  it's early days,   Talk car.  Jackie 
    • Posted

Thanks a lot  that's what I told him but since I wrote this for him he really pushes his exercises and he has lifted it odd times thanks again 
  • Posted

I am 12 weeks from my TKR. The exercise are critical to recovery. For the firtst two weeks I could not lift my leg. I had my wife support my ankle helping me to raise my leg enabling me to complete the exercise. Then after two weeks I was able to raise my leg a few degrees and then progressively increased until I could support my leg raising it. Perseverance and optimism, it will come, believe me. The exercises are hell in the early weeks but life improves. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks a lot Richard like I told him early days as I am sending these messages as he doesn't use them x
  • Posted

Hi mick20638

Im 5 wks PO TKR and couldn't lift my left leg from a floor flat position until around 3 weeks PO. One week is too early to expect a lift. Suggest doing all the bending/straightening he can do, and try a flat lift every couple of days until it become a little easier. I'm sure he will do better in the weeks ahead. Patience and gentleness on himself is best. Good wishes for a good recovery.

• Posted

What I found really helpful was using a crepe bandage as a bit of a "sling" for my foot to help leverage my leg.  Helped with bending exercises (you could add a bit of pull to get extra bend when you thought you had bent as far as you could), and for lifting my leg (which as jackie rightfully says feels like a dead weight for a while). Fold a bandage (or any strip of cloth) in half length wise and tie a loop just big enough to poot your foot through.  Holding an end of the banadage in each hand, pull towards you as you try to lift the straigtened leg or when you are at your maximum bend, to give it some extra help. 
  • Posted

One week If it was one month Id be worried. He should concestrate on strengthening the quad muscles above the knee. Regular exercise consists of simply pulling up/tightening the muscles. I didne lift my leg until a week.

You say he was sitting on the floor! im 13 months post op and if I got down on the floor Id never get up. Tell him to keep on with physios exercises and it will come before long he will feel the benefits of the TKR

• Posted

Well he was on the floor with the exercises he was given by his physio but   He is so strong minded and motivated always has been but thanks for the info Ann 
  • Posted

I found that I could start lifting right away if I just gave my leg some assistance with the crook of my cane. Works like the bandage strap someone was mentioning. As days went by I had to pull on the cane less and less until at about 10 days when I was strong enough to stop using it.

On the floor! Really?! He should try using a couch or bed to make it easier.

• Posted

Thanks Deborah but he always have liked it the hard way strong minded I think that alone will get him there thanks again for your comments x
  • Posted

I was longer than a week but I didn't use any aids. It's when the quad muscles strengthen that it can lift the weight. You're doing we'll. On the floor!  I'd be still there, ha ha. Have him do it lying in the bed. It's an exciting time when you can lift your foot. Don't be hard n yourself. Rest is very important for the wounds to heal. Good luck, you'll be there before you know it. 
    • Posted

Ha ha Ann thanks for your kind comments and hope you and all the people on here are / soon better x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.