One Week Since TKR

Posted , 13 users are following.

My husband had a TKP one week ago and he is worried that whilst sitting on the floor doing exercises he can't lift his leg and he is not a person to give up as he has a lot of will power but is this anything to worry about I think still early but would appreciate if this is normal thanks

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

As everyone else has said, these are the early weeks. At 8 wks post TKR I remember my leg being dead weight and could not move it without help.

It does get easier, at different rates for all of us.

It is vitally important to keep up with the exercises. I was told that straightening the leg flat was more important than the degree of the bend for the first weeks.

On the floor? As others have said, I would still be there, unable to get myself up! lol

Best of luck to hubby.

• Posted

Hi debz13

I am 5 wks PO with L TKR. I too would describe my leg as feeling like it weighs 3 times its normal weight. Also it feels like when your blood pressure cuff tightens to maximum explosion point. But it doesn't release. That feeling of pressure is what is getting me down mostly. Before my surgery, I had walked bone on bone for 4yrs with a bent leg (couldn't straighten it). Now my biggest fear is that I won't ever be able to straighten it, as I am doing everything the Physio says re: lifting leg straight and holding for 10 secs then repeating several times. But the extension is a long way off.

I saw my Physio yesterday and she said my bend was approx 125 (this I hope will improve further) and to concentrate on straightening exercises. She told me to stop using the one crutch I was using for outside use, and gave me a stick. She said 'when you see your surgeon for the first time @ 6 1/2 weeks, he'll be very impressed if you don't use anything when you walk in'.

I'm not sure if this is intended to highlite her efforts or mine.

Anyone else finding straightening the knee nigh on impossible.

• Posted

Margaret, I am still struggling with extension. Like you, I was bone on bone for a long time. Which I strongly believe was a mistake. Your bend is much better than mine. I have only managed 101.

Last night the pain was so bad I woke several times throughout the night crying from the pain. 8 & 1/2 wks post op and I am beyond discouraged right now! There is still quite a bit of swelling. PT applied kinesiology tape again today.

I am so sick and tired of this!

• Posted

Debz13

Firstly don't be too hard on yourself. You must ask your gp for strong enough pain meds. You cannot be expected to cope in the aftermath of a TKR which is possibly the worst and most painful surgery to recover from, unless your pain is under control. 

I am still taking 300 mg Gabapentin at bedtime and because I suffer with chronic insomnia, I still need the medication to get me through the night in reasonable comfort. I also still have a lot of swelling and pressure all around the knee and long for the day when I notice a 'breakthrough' if it ever comes. I still have days when I weep and wail against the injustice of it all, but I think most of us going through this same nightmare have all experienced these feelings. 

So get your pain well under control and you will be in a better place to practice bending. Straightening is still an unknown area to me, but I live in hope.

Sending you blessings and strength for better days ahead.  Keep me posted.

• Posted

Debz13

P.S. Don't know what kinesiology tape is ???

• Posted

Damn impressing the surgeon and the physio . . do what you feel comfortable with!  Strange how different they all are.  Mine insisted I use two crutches until six weeks . . although once she was through the door I didn't bother !  Outside, I found it helped my balance, and let me walk more freely. it's  your body, not theirs.

• Posted

Such early days...most of us couldn't lift our foot off the floor or bed one week in.

I've just had my knee opened up again, a year on, and I'm back in that position.

steady is the answer.

• Posted

hi mick its not unusual ,we have all been there best way to get that leg going is to use a dressing gown belt around the foot and lift it with both hands ,at first you will be lifting it off the floor but keep at it and as your leg gets stronger you can relax the hold on the belt bit by bit till you can do it all by yourself ,my guess it wont take long its just that your muscles are shot because of the op ,but dont worry it will improve and i applaud you for motivation it will see you through !!! what im amazed at is how is he getting down on the floor to do these excersises so soon after the op ,i myself did them on the bed 
    • Posted

Hi Linda thanks for messages all I can say is my husband is and always been strong minded and motivated cos I wouldn't be able to do it lol xx
  • Posted

Hi Like others have said my leg didn't move, it was frustrating as the other lady in my room who was 20 yrs older could lift hers the next day. I had to put my good leg under the dead leg to pull it about so that I could get out of bed. It moved when I was stood up. As others have said I couldn't get on the floor and used the bed or couch. Good luck. This forum is so helpful so get hubby to read other posts. It's a great help.
    • Posted

Thanks Lynne for your comments you are all very kind x
  • Posted

Sitting on the floor!  Heavens, i would still be down there!  He must be doing pretty well in general.  the leg lifting is usually a slow one for most people, but it nearly always comes in the end!  I think there is a psychological reason as well as a physical one, and once he gains confidence I'm sure it will all come together!
    • Posted

Thanks Martin he is so strong minded I took him in the car today for his flu jab he managed very well going in and out of car and into the Drs very proud of him and he is getting his leg moving whilst on the floor now and off to Pysio tomorrow let you know how he gets on thanks again xxx 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.