One week using "Wet Ones" with Benzethonium Chloride

Posted , 128 users are following.

I have been using Wet Ones as recommended by Lynda79 (Clean eyes 4 times daily using 1/4 wet one) for one week

I can report the following.

Initial State:- Eye irritation/soreness/dryness including corneal ulcers, etc which I have had for over 2 months continually. Requiring washing approx 3-4 times daily with warm water, baby shampoo, eye drops etc..

When starting with the Wet Ones, I initially felt slight stinging around the rim of the eye, but this stopped after 24 hrs use.

After 3 days:- A lot of relief, maybe rinse eyes with just warm water if they felt dry.

After 7 days:- I have forgotten that I have blephoritus. Have to remind myself to clean eyes with Wet Ones.

I will continue to use the wet ones, now cutting down to 3x daily as recommended by Lynda79, and will update again next week. Hope this helps somebody, and many thanks to Lynda79 for sharing this.

Honjon

22 likes, 619 replies

619 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Great news , love hearing posts like this , gives hope to us all , unless you have experienced this you don't know how painful it is .
  • Posted

Just a quick update on the "wet ones" treatment. Have now been trying this for 4 weeks,

week 1. 4 x daily

Week 23 x daily

Week 3 3 x daily

week 4 2 x daily

Since part way through week 1, I have had no problems with my eyes. No need to use eye lubrication, do not wake in the night with dried up eyes. Give this a go, it seems to work!

Lynda79, very sincere thanks for sharing this treatment.

• Posted

Hi there. I'm also using the wet ones with Benzalkonium chloride from Australia. I sure hope it helps me to. Just started it today!
    • Posted

Dear Honjon,

I am so happy to know your doing so well. So am I, also very grateful to Linda and to you who did pointed me to Lynda's entries. Keep up the good work!

• Posted

Dear Honjon,

You are very welcome. I am so glad to hear that it is working for others besides the 2 of us.

I use drops in my eyes as this can be caused by dry eyes. When you think it is gone it may itch once or twice more like mine and I jumped on it for a day or two. Residual bacteria I think.

I was told by the Dr. to take flax for the eyes and fish oil capsules too. I use a hot (warm) washrag in the mornings too. The Dr. said that it helps to get things going.

Be careful because there is something that caused it. Mine was makeup. I am washing my hands more now too so as not to touch my eyes. Just food for thought. It can be bacterial on the soap too.

Sorry to give you more to worry about. Just don't want you to re-infect. I did when I went back to double dipping in the mascara, etc. Won't do that again. It took only a day to stop that.

Wish you the best and thank you for taking the time to let others know that this can work for some people.

Lynda79

• Posted

Dear Linda, I received my wet ones- red pack from USA.For international buyers : e bay, seller mr medical, ships worldwide.

I started using them. Am I supposed to clean just lower lash line? I guess the question is stupid but I want to be sure that I am doing it well.And so far - no bad reaction...Keep my fingers crossed that it works in my case too.

Many thanks

• Posted

Dear Jenny,

No, you need to do both eyelash areas. I did them open and then you can close your eyes and rub too.

By tearing them into 8 sections you get enough to cover your fingertips.

You have more control over where to apply it then.

I rubbed each one 2 times (each time with clean section). That takes 8

per time you do it or one wipe. I used 4 wipes per day for that first week and a half. Honjon went down more rapidly then I did but had success too.

Wish you well,

Lynda79

• Posted

I thought i had to do both lines.I am finding it very difficult to do the upper lid.Your technique with piece of tissue around the fine is great but still have big problem to clean it. Some eyes are easier to do I guess.I know I have to clean both sections otherwise bacteria wont be killed.

So far I can report only minor itching sometimes.Also skin around my eyes is very dry.It is hard to apply some cream in between cleaning it 4 times a day especially because I dont want to wash my eyes quickly after cleaning and also because half of the day I am at work. I will for example leave it on for an hour and then put some of the creams I am using at the moment.I am using bepanthen ointhemnet for years and it has been great.The producer is bayern and this lottle tube is designed for ears and eyes only and what is great about it, it can go inside the eyes as well.It is not a drug so people can try it.Recently I bought Dr Organics manuka honey rescue cream after reading excellent blog about eey excema and it does calm down taht red inflamed area around my eyes and moisturise well.

Now let me go back to my application problem.This morning I saw capilaries in my red eye and got little scared but I believe it will go away.I must have used more "force" than i should.It came after you told me to clean the upper line too.

Dear Lynda, you are my only support now and i defintely need one.

So please bare with me a little bit longer until i get it right.

Also excuse my possible mistakes, despite my english name , I am not english.

Have a good day,

Jenny

• Posted

Hello again

Talking to so many people is taking lots of your time but you must feel some joy in helping others too.I am personally very grateful for sharing this even though you dont have this problem any more...

In my last message I forgot to say that my eyes are slightly irritated after cleaning them with wet ones but it seem to reduce inflamation and itchiness inside.I could say they are red but dont feel inflamed.I believe it could be normal in a way...My eyes are big and green and very sensitive since my early twenties..In the last few years i dont have real clean periods....It is too early to say because I have been using it for the last two days.I will be able to give real comments in some 7 days.I usually get worsening of the symptoms or flare ups before and during period...

When it comes to my upper lid with I have a problem with, I will try to roll some tissue around q tip...After all, I will take a chance cause I am fed up with this condition.Even if I touch the eye ball with the tissue shold not be a problem considering the earlier discussions regarding benzethuium chloride ingredient in eye drops...

I have constant red line inflamed under my right eye and when I clean my lids with wet ones It is difficult to avoid that area and it aggravates the redness but in few hours come down to regular redness.i hope you get what I mean.

God bless,

XX

• Posted

i do get what you mean because it was my right eye that was the worse. and on my lower lid you would think i had red eye liner on (deep red). and it was not a pretty sight but i would try anything i thought would help get rid of it. but now thanks to Lynda 79 i use wet ones and i have found a difference where they are not as red and sore(still red/sore not as much) so good luck and take care xx  

• Posted

How coincidental.I have that line under right eye to !! It looks like a wrinkle but according to the literature, there is a name for it. At least I am sure I developed the same line.It is called Denni-Morgan fold and lucky carriers are people who have been coping with allergies, scratching, infections for a long time...Google it and you will see how it looks like.So that line is thickened and red and It only goes away / stay there but not red and not so visible/ after I use steroid cream. If wet ones dont help with this, I will get another anti-inflamatory cream called Elidel and put the fire out. 

Thank you for your comment.We are stronger together.

XX

• Posted

Dear Jenny,

You don't have to do it 4 times a day. You can do it 2 times a day as some others have had success that way.

You can close your eyes and do the upper lid too. I tried to do it upward and then closed eyes and did it that way too.

You can also put some eye drops in for lubrication too. When ever I got it in my eye that is what I did.

The meds have .01% and the wipes are .03% so if get into the eyes just use the drops to wash them.

Someone on another site told meshe had red eyes so bad that she hid behind glasses and hair color to draw people's eyes away from her eyes.

She was amazed that after 2 weeks her eyes started to look normal.

Are you O K with lanolin too. Some have a reaction to that. My Mom was allergic to lanolin..

It is a bacterial problem as the 2 of us had different symptoms and used 2 different products with Benzethonium Chloride in it and both killed it. Both were told by doctors that it was Blepharitis. I was told it would come back by 2 doctors. It has been over a year and a half now.

I do not used mascara the regular way. I use one wand now for both eyes. I do not put a used wand into the mascara as dry eyes don't wash bacteria out like normal eyes.

I do go on. Just hope you get better soon.

Thinking of you,

Lynda79

• Posted

Hello

Yes, hiding behind glasses is often the case..ha ha

You are right, 4 times is too much especiallly because I am almost clear now.I dont want to start cheering too soon but your wet ones seem to help.

I am ok with lanolin.

I am also getting better with cleaning my upper lid.biggrin It is not as easy as the lower one but I do my best to wipe it the best I can.

I am holding on with cosmetics even though I work in hotel bussines and should look nice.I only use some face blush and make sure my hair looks nice.I already found disposable mascara wands on the web which are very cheap and I will follow your advices with that.

I said earlier that my flare ups usually start before my period so I am looking forward to see what happens! 

Love,

Jenny

• Posted

I forgot to ask about make up.You talk about eye liner and disposable pads which i dont use.I use eye pencil??any tips?

Take care,

Jenny

• Posted

Dear Lynda,

Its been some 2 weaks ago that i started your routine,It is too early to say that I am cured because from time to time I feel tiny itching but i am nowhere near where I was.

For the first couple days i was cleaning my lashes 4 times a day and then when i got into routine of doing it I cut down on 2.Now I am only doing it at night before sleeping.At the same time I started using the eye bag so wet ones come after heat and massage.But I skip the eye bag sometimes and s dont miss my evening ritual with wipes.I am so happy now that skipping everything is not an option, I am too careful not to go back where I was before.....To be honest I dont think I will get that bad again with my new approach.

I dont intend  to use them for too long but will make sure I order enough of eyelid cleansers and store them in my bathroom...just to maintain the condition.Even you use mascara wands for the same reason.

I am pretty much aware this condition is chronic but keeping it let's say 90% under control is more than ok for me...

I came to forum tonight because I felt i needed to share my good experience with you and everyone else..

Thank you Lynda..

Lots of success to all

P.s tip for application is to roll it tight around the cotton tip and be even more precise.It worked better than with my finger

• Posted

Dear Jenny,

I went down to 2 times a day for several months then I quit altogether. It itched once or twice and I jumped on it with the wipes for just a day or 2. Then it was gone.

I used mascara the whole time I was killing it. just didn't double dip into the new mascara. I just got my order of 1,000 wands today. I only use 1 now for both eyes, just don't put it into the mascara after using.

Honon went down sooner with his wipes. This can be killed and there is no need to do it forever. If you can't seem to kill it once a day then do 2 times for a week and then see if it is better.

I use a hot rag in the mornings (Dr. said to get things going, I use Micro-wave to warm a wet rag). He said to use Flax and fish oil capsules too.

This old age sure is hard. Not so golden as they say.

This August it will be 2 years since I killed it.

This is an accidental find. My friend used the right antibacterial agent that killed it.

I wish you success.

Lynda79

• Posted

Hello Lynda,

Maybe I wasnt clear.I want to be now.Your routine works!! I am still doing it once or twice a day...It is almost completely gone...tiny little itch from time to time but thats nothing.Even the "normal" people scratch their eyes sometimes...

You can freely put me on your list of happy patients who tried and suceed. 

And yes I will keep on doing it ...

Thanks a million

• Posted

Dear Jenny,

Thank you for letting me know. It is really the result of my friend (actually my daughter's mother-in-law) who tried an antibacterial agent that worked.

Necessity is the mother of invention they say and can be the "cure" too.

Desperate people will do desperate things. That's me I think. Rubbing alcohol does not work on Blepharitis. See what I mean.

Thanks again for getting back to me with the good news.

Lynda79 

• Posted

When you mention Bepanthen ointment do you mean the one for nappy rash? as that is all I can find.

Kind regards

Saffycatt

• Posted

No I dont mean mean the one used for nappy rash..

It's basically Pro-vitamin B5, Bepanthen range contains an eye and nose cream which has exactly the same formulation and concentration of active ingredients as the skin healing one, just a slightly lower viscosity to ease application in eyes and nose.Or skin around the eyes...

It is  German product and it can be found online under "BEPANTHEN Augen- und Nasensalbe". 

• Posted

Dear Jenny,

I forgot to answer this question for you. If you use a pencil, you will need to clean it every time for each eye application. Use a wipe on it.

You could be re-infecting with makeup. That is why I suggested using throw away everything and new makeup. I used eye shadow (dark color) for eyeliner, using 2 applicators each time. The applicators for that looked like cotton buds but were sharp on one end.

I still do not put a used wand back into my mascara but I do use the same wand on 2 eyes now that the Blepharitis is gone.  Dry eyes do not wash out bacterial like normal eyes. I do not want it back again.

Hope this info helps you.

Lynda79

• Posted

HI LYNDA

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY. I AM CURIOUS WHAT ARE THE OTHER WAYS TO RE-INFECT YOURSELF? MAKE-UP IS PROBABLY THE MOST OFTEN WAY..

I ONLY BOUGHT A NEW MASCARA AND WANDS.I LIKE TO USE A PENCIL BUT NOT SO OFTEN AND WHEN I DO, I CLEAN IT WITH WIPES...DID YOU MEAN WET ONES OR ANY OTHER EYELID WIPES.AT THE MOMENT I HAVE SUPRANETTES...

I NEED TO CONFESS TO YOU THAT RECENTLY I STOP USING WET ONES AS MY EYES CLEARED UP...NOT BECAUSE I WAS LAZY TO CONTINUE BUT WANTED TO SEE HOW WELL I CAN MAINTAIN IT WITH REGULAR ROUTINE..

I NOTICED THOUGH THAT SOME OF MY BLEPH DID

COME BACK AND NOW I AM THINKING WHAT WENT WRONG...DID I RE INFECT MYSELF WITH MAKE UP CAUSE I USED IT TWICE IN A MONTH OR IT IS LINKED WITH GLANDS TOO? 

IT IS JUST A LITTLE BIT BUT LATELY I STARTED WORKING HARDER AND COULD BE ALSO THAT I OR MY EYES LOOK TIRED...

WET ONES ARE GREAT IN KILLING THE BACTERIA BUT

CANT HELP THINKING THAT BLEPH IS CHRONIC AND IT COULD BE PRESENT SLIGHTLY EVEN AFTER FEW MONTHS OF CLEANING IT...SOMEHOW WE RE INFECT...GODS KNOWS WHERE THAT STAPH COULD COME FROM?? SCALP,PILLOWS, HANDS???

LYNDA PLEASE TELL ME DI YOU USE CREAM AROUND YOUR EYES AND WHICH ONE?? IT IS NIT VERY ADVISABLE AS IT MAY BLICK MORE THE SKIN...

REGARDS

JENNY

• Posted

Dear Jenny,

It took me 3 1/2 months to kill it. I used the wipes for 2 months 2 times a day at the end. When I quit it itched again and I used the wipes for a couple of days. That was 2 times I did that and then it was gone.

Blepharitis is caused by staphylococcus and these wipes (Quats) kill staphylococcus. I researched this info after someone was allegic to them.

Dry eyes cannot wash out bacteria like normal eyes. I now use 1 wand in my new mascara for both eyes. I just don't put the wand into the mascara that was used. I have had no problem doing that.

I bought new eye shadow too. I used throw away applicators for eye shadow too. I threw out brushes and bought new. I use creams for the eye before putting on makeup. 

The wipes are like a detergent so just use them on your fingertip and not all over your skin as can be drying.

You have not killed it is why it is coming back.

Here is a point I found: "quats often require a contact time upwards of ten minutes to do so."

I did not wash my eyes off after using the wipes. This info I found later explained why that helped to kill it.

A bar of soap used could have bacteria too. Just be careful of what you put on your eyes. It can be killed just be more diligent.

If you use that pencil use the wipes on it right after. I use eye shadow for eyeliner while I was killing it.

Yes, you can re-infect from unclean makeup. Use eye drops (kind with no preservatives) for lubrication.

Research where staph comes from. As for the glands, Honjon had the oily problems and so did others and the wipes took care of it too.

I have someone in a rest home that had yellow gunk and I use the wipes on her 2 times a week and it is almost gone. It was so thick when I started her eyes were glued together. ? "I thought "Why not try a wipe?"

The rest is history.

Let me know if I didn't answer all your questions.

Thinking of you,

Lynda79

• Posted

I am so amazed of your patience and willingness to help.

I think i almost killed it...the itch is so isignificant.What I said really in my last message is that when i used wet ones my eyes were clearer...

I may go back to wet ones...i wasnt lazy or anything..i just thought it was enough...

I will be more careful with make up..

Yes , you answered everything.

Cant thank you enough.

If you ever would need a patient to back up your therapy in front of official medicine...count on me...

Wet ones are cheap and effective and less harmful than antibiotics

Lol

Jenny

• Posted

Hijenny_74 just a quick word to see how you are doing with the wet ones? my eyes are really getting much better only using wet ones twice a day now!!! if i miss it out  they still get red and itchy (not as much)thank goodness and i am wearing mascara again  after more years than i care to think of pleased as son is getting married next year and so wanted to wear make upsmile and it is all thanks to Lynda79 Honjon and this site so heres to hearing from you again and take care Jeanette43594 xx 

• Posted

Dear Jenny and Jeanette,

Thank you both for letting me know how you are doing. Going to put somethings I found here so you can see why it works: Quats are the Benzethonium Chloride and Benzalkonium Chloride in the handwipes.

What causes blepharitis?

There are three main types of blepharitis: staphylococcal blepharitis, seborrhoeic blepharitis and meibomian blepharitis. All three types can cause similar symptoms.

Staphylococcal blepharitis

This type of blepharitis is thought to be caused by a bacterium (germ) called staphylococcus. This bacterium commonly lives in low numbers on the skin without doing any harm. However, in some people, it seems that this bacterium causes a localised infection of the eyelids, resulting in blepharitis. Exactly why this happens in some people is unclear.

Quats are effective in destroying a broad spectrum of harmful microorganisms. They are effective in killing the following microorganisms while cleaning the surfaces upon which they reside – all in one simple step.

1.                   Gram negative and gram positive bacteria like salmonella typhi, staphylococcus aureus, streptococcus epidermidis and pseudomonas aeruginosa,

2.                   viruses like HIV-1, Herpes simplex 1 and 2

3.                   Antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria including methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA).

4.                   and fungi like trichophyton interdigitale (athlete’s foot).

Did you notice it kills staphylococcus?

Though you might like this info if needed to help someone else.

I have turned the research over to a Dr. who is very interested because I gave him the antibiiotic research that I feel will kill it too.

May have something else to post for those who are allergic to the wipes.

Thinking of you both and thank you again.

Lynda79

• Posted

Hello

It is so nice from you to check on me, my fellow sufferer..well  I dont suffer any more, I dont think I will ever suffer the way I did...

I used wet ones for a month approx. and I was cutting down fast because of good progress but it was probably a mistake and I should have continued using them at least one time a day ...Even the antibiotic should be used to the end despite of fast improvement..

So i continued with everyday cleaning, I adopted a new routine in my life and I am strangely looking forward doing it every night....

As I said in my reply to Lynda, I feel a slight itching from time to time and that's it...I am very happy with the things they are...

The other "bigger" problem I have is a line under my right eye which is still slightly red and it doesnt go away...I am going to buy elidel cream and I am sure it will go away in few days as it is anti-inflammatory cream...Dont want to use steroids any more...

That line is funny, very persistant...maybe it has nothing to do with Bleph, it doesnt touch the eye itself...It could be contact dermatitis, a little excem ...

What is the most important, we found a new strategy for our eyes.Mine are clear, dont frustrate me as before..I am still cautious with make up..I am going slowly with it..especially Because I am still waiting to receive my 100 disposable wands ..It takes a long time but I am patient..

I would like to know how you are doing in the future so will keep in touch or at least read your posts..

Regards,

jenny

• Posted

so pleased for you as  well i am only cleaning my eyes only twice a day now with wet ones (morning/night)  compared to what i was having to do!! i was lucky with the wands i found a chemist near to where i live that sells them and when i asked at the other ones close to me they gave me a few to be going on with.I went on the internet to see where the nearest chemist was to me that stocked them? i am just starting to wear mascara again after a long time and i does feel rather strange been able to wear it and not have red and sore eyes!!! I to just have a slight itch now and again but nothing like it was!!! i cant thank Lynda79 and Honjon and this site (which i found by accident) for the tips and advice!!!! would still be suffering now! it is nice to hear you are well and would love to read your posts in the future about how you are doing so take care     jeanette

• Posted

hi Lynda79 it is interesting reading what i would like to know is how did you find out about the wet ones been able to clear your eyes up? i used to suffer quite a bit with cold soresand as you know they are a strain of  herpes! but i never touched it with hands and if i did i was always aware of good hygiene and never but never touched my eyes!!! my eyes started with what i thought was a stye and it would not go away no matter what i did? would love to keep in touch and read more posts off you if possible while keeping you up to date if  thats ok? so take care  jeanette XX  rolleyes  

• Posted

Yes only we can understand what we were going through...going out with sunglasses, not feeling like going to  parties etc..

The big dissapointment came from doctors as they always seen just one non-dangerous condition.

Could you please tell me how do you use the other make up products? 

I think it is not up to the brand at all although try to get hyperallergenic products ;; it is more to keeping up with clean application..using everything disposable if possible. Or if not than cleaning the lids with wet ones straight after you take off the make up.

I want to find something as good as wands for pencil.and foundation...I want to be sure before I start because the last I want is to reinfect myself....I live in the small place where chemist dont sell stuff like that but It is ok as long as I can order it online..

We will keep in touch definetely

Take care

• Posted

Hi jenny

I know the feeling sometimes you just dont bother with going out with other make up i always used hyperallergenic as i was always wary about making it worse and always removing make up nomatter what time of the night i came in! now i know about the wands well there will be no stopping me LOL!!! i know where you are coming from about reinfecting your self that is the last thing wewant after we are nearly clear of it!   i usually buy cheap eye wands the ones with a little bit of sponge on and they can be thrown away just to be on the safe side. rolleyes  so let me know how you are and look forward to your next update (not to long i hope)  jeanette XXsmile

• Posted

hi 

I was also very conscious about which make up I use especially because I was misdiagnosed with nickel contact dermatitis...When i was doing tests my dermatologist found quite strong allergy to nickel/usual female allergy...belts,cheap metal earrinngs etc/

i was going so far in my research as i didnt want to give up make up for life...I was mainly buying nickel free cosmetics ..Eye care cosmetics is a brand that sell nickel free, cobalt free, paraben free etc good quality make up and on their site / _____ (broken link)/ you can find so many products for sensitive and Bleph prone eyes...

You know I stopped using wet ones some time ago but I might start  using them again tonight.and just once daily....and be dilligent for another month at least..

LOL

Jenny

• Posted

Dear Jeanette,

On the post above it mentions that these quats kill herpes simplex 1 & 2.

I learned from my daughter that her mother-in-law used a antibacterial facial scrub (her bleph moved up to her eyelid area, where you wear eyeshadow) and killed it. She looked horrible my daughter said. I looked Bleph up and saw her condition on-line.

I could not find that product made with the Benzethonium Chloride in it. They had reformulated it. I then looked on-line for what products had Benzethonium Chloride in them. I ended up using the WET ONES as had them in my home.I did not ask why they worked (I did know the person too) or how.

It was only after someone was allergic to them (she was allergic to handwipes) that I started looking up all the info as to why they work. One young man was allergic to the lanolin in the wipes.

I posted above the short form of my research so others can see how they work.

I also found a Tox report. The main thing my friend and I discovered is that the medication to kill it doesn't need to go in the eye.

We were just a couple of desperate people.

I use a powder makeup. I bought new and new brushes (big fat kind) and I bought a special cleaner for brushes that was a germicidal.

I clean my brushes a lot more often now. I threw out gobs of makeup as I did hang onto stuff for a long time. Not any more.

People need to kill this off now as it could be a product that is no longer available.

I have turned over all the info to a Dr. who was very interested in the antibiotic that would work on it. He saw what I saw when I read it to him.

We will see.

These wipes should take care of styes too.

Enough of my running on.

Hope you are well soon.

Lynda79

• Posted

Hi Lynda 79 thanks for info and it is more than welcome.I used to do that with make up but i bought the wands with the sponge bit on the end and then i used to wash them regular.but for the make up it self i used to hang on to it for a while. but mine came on suddenly and as they say the rest is history!!! until now that is so is your daughter"s M/I/L ok now?  the wet ones i use they are also sensitive with benzalkoniom chloride in i am going to try and get the face wash/scrub from avon and try that as well so thank you again for the information and take care and hope to read more of your posts again take care and keep well Jeanette smile   

• Posted

Hi jenny_74 my M/I/L  gets nickel dermatitis dont know what make up she uses though?If i miss the morning clean with wet ones  i get that little bit of itchyness not as bad as it was but it is there. I dont mind using them twice a day better than 4 times with baby shampoo and cotton wool balls and boiled cooled water i will try once a day before long and see how it goes!! I too will be dilligent for a while to come yet LOL one day we will end up where  we dont have to do it (hopefully)!!! Jeanetterolleyes 

• Posted

Dear Jeanette,

My daughter's M/I/L is cured. She had killed it off about the time I started on it. Avon does not sell that with Benzethonium Chloride in it any longer. They reformulated the product. That is why I needed to search for other items that had Benzethonium Chloride in them.

Stef on this site said she found Neutrogena grapefruit face wash had it in it. She said there was a oil free moisturiser too with it in it.

She said it was working.

Hope this info helps.

Lynda79

• Posted

Hello Lynda &others

I am pretty much busy these days and pretty much clean days too.Thats why I am not active any more.But I try to read most of your comments and welcome everybody's success. I came by to say that I am happy no-bleph person now.After relatively short use of wet ones.I have no symptoms at all and I dont use anything practically.After eye make up I only make sure my eyes are properly cleaned.No wet wipes or any other cleansing method, no eye-bag..I do have an extra sachet of wet ones in my cabinet -just in case...I asked my cousin to bring it over from USA...

Thats all from me.I wish you all success..

Jenny

• Posted

Dear Jenny,

What a wonderful note. I am so glad to hear this.

You can also just buy some antibacterial body soap and wash your eyes (closed) and that takes some of the staph (on eyes naturally) if you feel a twinge.

I would make sure to use the throw away wands, only go down to 1 for both eyes. I am doing that now and no problems for over a year.

Just keeping the bacteria out of the mascara. I do the same for eye shadow.

That is the end of my info. You know all that I do.

Hope to hear down the road from you again as to how you are doing.

It does encourage others.

Your friend,

Lynda

• Posted

Hi Lynda

Just thought I would give you my good news as well.

I've been to the eye hospital today....{3 years now every 3 months}

He cant find anything at all and has discharged me with instructions to just go to the GP should it come back.

He asked what I was using LOL I dont think he really believed me.

I'm still using wet ones but not as regularly as before.

Over the counter eye drops but they are just for the occasional tired feeling or the feeling of something in my eye....not much more.

So a happy little bunny here and thank you

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Dear Eileen,

Made my day to hear your good news. Even better that you are doing so well.

Lots of good wishes for the future without Bleph.

Your friend,

Lynda

• Posted

Lynda,

Does blepharitis cause dry eyes or does dry yes cause the bleph?  I am using the wipes and the redness, itching and debris are clear but my eyes still tear a lot. I use Refresh drops. Any suggestions?

Sandra

• Posted

Dear sandra,

From what I have read the dry eye causes the bleph as doesn't wash the bacteria out of the eye like normal eyes do.

I learned from Eileen about preservatives in eye meds. We need to use preservative free eye drops for the eyes. They come in individual use form and have about 5-7 drops in them.

The reason for this is that there is BAK (Benzethonium Chloride) as a preservative in the eye meds. Over a long period of time it mentioned that it can cause eye damage. When we have dry eye it means years of eye drops so important to change to preservative free.

Once you clear your eyes up you have to be careful about taking care as don't want to re-infect like with mascara. I use 1 throw away wand now for both eyes and still will not put a used wand back into the mascara.

Keeping the eyes clean is important as read how the staph normally on the eye can multiply (dry eye problem).

I take my mascara off as soon as I get home and wash my face.  Terrified to go through that again.

Hope this info helps.

Lynda79

• Posted

Hi Lynda79

just thought i would drop youa line or two to let you know how things are going with myself and M/I/L i am doing good only using wet ones twice a day (morning/night) and eye drops  M/I/Ldoing ok but still a way to go LOL but we will get there (eventually) i keep reading the posts and i hope all is well with you so take care  your friend jeanette  

• Posted

Lynda,

Thanks, the wet wipes are working and I will look for the Eye drops without the preservatives as well.

Sandra 

• Posted

Thank you..this has made a tremendous difference in the health of my eyes..thank you for this forum.
    • Posted

Dear Jeanette,

Thanks for the great news. It has been you and Jenny that kept me going lately.  I do appreciate your friendship and updates.

My friend who is in the rest home is doing good but I rinse her eyes with water after using the wipes (2 times a week keeps it pretty clean) as her skin is really old. Mentioned that as M/I/L might get irritated and need to do that. Just leave on for 10 minutes and rinse.

I swear you and Jenny  know everything I know about this.

Soooo glad to hear you are doing good.

Your friend,

Lynda

• Posted

I want to chime in as a success story.  I don't even need to do the hot compress on my eyes every morning.  I still do it occasionally, and I use the Wet Ones only occasionally as well.  Still use eye drops daily (and several times during the night), which is back to my routine before I was diagnosed with blepharitis.  I will be seeing my eye doctor for my annual checkup tomorrow - it will be interesting to see what he says.  I only wish I'd found this forum before the expense meds he prescribed.
    • Posted

Dear Nancy,

Thank you for a lovely note about your success. It helps others to give it a try. If Honjon had not tried it, it would not have had the same success.

Each person who gets relief encourages others to give it a try.

Thanks again for your wonderful story.

Lynda79

• Posted

Hi Lynda,

I am going into my 3rd week of uising Wet Ones. Still needing to use the hot compresses, wet wipes and drops...much improved but still problems.  Will keep on with regimen.  Did I understand sometimes it takes 3-4 months? Guess I have had the condition so long it may take a long time to resolve.

Thanks,

Sandra40102

• Posted

Dear Sandra,

I had the problem for about 6 months. I used antibiotic eye drops in the eye 3 times.

It took me over 3 months to kill it. The last couple of months I used them 2 times a day so not too hard. Your eyes feel better so you will know when to drop down from 3 to 2 times a day.

Jill was someone who worked and used them 2 times a day and her eyelashes after 20 years with the problem grew back.

There is no set time or amount as some as Honjon went down really fast in his use of the wipes too.

After I was done, my eyes bothered me once or twice and I just jumped on them with the wipes for just a day or two and then it was gone.

Hope this info helps you.

Lynda79

• Posted

Dear Lynda,

It is very helpful, thank you. My husband has commented about my face does not look as swollen around they eyes, so I know it is working.  My eyelashes are sparse on the top lid and almost none on the bottom...sure hope they might grow back!

I have also had 2 sinus surgeries and a lot of nasal congestion.  This actually seems to be helping that problem as well. Perhaps better drainage from the eyes  is doing it.

I am very grateful to have found this site and will keep updating.

Sandra40102

• Posted

Hi Lynda,

Thank you for replying to my post earlier. I am enjoying reading all the post here. Lynda, it would be great if you could do a Video on cleaning the eyelashes with these baby wipes to share with folks looking help. Like Jenny, I am a bit nervous too, afraid of irratating my eyes, and not real sure how to go about it. Maybe you could post the video on your blog page or share it on YouTube like other health help  "how to" videos.

• Posted

Dear Raellen,

Sorry, don't know how to do that. My daughter sends me You Tube but I can't do them.

I just wiped the lashes and rims. Even rubbed them. I did it twice on each lash area (clean section each time that is a total of 8 sections). If you get it into your eyes just put drops of water in or splash face with water. Wrapping each section around your finger gives you an easier application.

Be sure and use 2 wash cloths for your eyes as don't want to reinfect your eyes. Actually, read that online from a doctor too.

They put Benzethonium Chloride in steroids and eye meds as a preservatives. usually like .01%. Google eye preservative and see that. Eileen got me started on looking that up. Learned a lot.

I learned that I needed to use preservative free eye drops for lubrication as the Benzethonium Chloride (put in the eye) can cause eye damage over years of use. Especially if using 2 meds with it in it, it said. I worried as my Dad uses steroids and eyendrops. Got him on the preservative free ones now for lubrication.

I take care of someone really really old in a rest home. Her eyes were so gunky that I used a wipe and it was so fabulously quick how it cleaned it up. I use the wipes 2 imes a week and then I wipe her eye area and surrounding skin with a tissue soaked in water. She has a small amount each time I come back but yet it is not irritating her at all. The wipe keep it at bay.

From what I just read, all people over the age of 90 have that Demodex or mites. These wipes either kill the bacteria from the mites or the mites too. Not sure about the mites but know she is doing great now, considering her age and health. Her hands are not in her eyes now when I see her.

Sorry about the video thing. I will leave that to one of you girls to do.

Thanks for the great updates as I know it will help others to give it a try too.

Wish you well,

Lyndaq79

• Posted

Hi Lynda I am back on the wet ones. Do you use hot compresses etc as part of the wet ones program?
    • Posted

Lynda, how do I know this is safe for my eyes? I recently put something in my eyes by accident and am having issues, don't know if it the one substance or the other.  Thanks, sorrry to bother you, Dena
    • Posted

Dena! Don't mean to be nosey but I was the same way as you and was hesitant at first to try the wet ones but they were the best things I've ever done to my eyelid!! It doesn't even feel or look like I have blepharites anymore! Trust me try it I'm sure nothing will happen they are safe for the eye!
    • Posted

Dear Dena,

If you get in your eyes just throw some water in your eye or put some drops for lubrication in them. They are rubbed on the eyelash area and not to be rubbed in the eye. Wrap a small section around your fingertip. Don't use the whole wipe and rub your eye.

They use .01% Benzalkonium Chloride in eye meds for example steroids for preservatives. I now use preservative free as they have found that over long periods of time it can cause damage to the eye.

This is for just over 3 months and does not go in the eye, just on the lashe area and rim.

This is not meant to be a life long use. It can be killed in this period of time.

Hope this helps,

Lynda

• Posted

Well Vanessa, you must not be as deprerate as some of us. This Blefharitis has really changed the way I live.  It burns, it itches, my eyes are red, I can't wear hardly any cosmetics, it wakes me up all through the night, My eye doctor is no help at all.  Desperate people do desperate things. It seems like I was having some trouble using them, but it seems it was because I used too big a piece, and touched my eye.  I just use a tiny piece now, and it's working much better.  Do YOU have a better answer for this problem, if so I would like to hear it.  smile  Dena
    • Posted

Hi Dena,

I know  I have  been there. I would go with the optrex on a Cotten bud rather than a wipe.

• Posted

hi whats the best way to wear makeup on your eyes please ? xx

• Posted

Hi Linda,

I know it’s been a while since anyone posted but I’m hoping you will see this. You mentioned your MIL had it on her eyelids up to her eyebrows. Did it look like eczema? If so do you think using the wipes on the eyelids up to the eyebrows would work? Or just the lash line? Do you know if the infection lives just in the eyelash hair folicules or does it live on skin? 

Also what did the doctors ever think about your findings? 

Thank you!!!!

• Posted

Dear Kaz,

I am sorry I have missed your post. You need to buy new makeup and never double dip into it. You need to use throw away mascara wands, one for each eye, each time you put on mascara. There are applicators for eye shadow too. You need to buy new mascara each month even if you don't double dip into to it to be safe.

If you use an eye pencil you will need to wipe it really good before you use it with a Wet One wipe and after you use it with a clean wipe. You can tear one wipe into sections.

When I had the blepharitis, I used dark eye shadow for eye liner so as not to reuse anything.

I used a water based mascara as easier to take off. You need to use one wash cloth for each eye or one eye makeup remover for each eye (they can be torn in half too). You do not want to reinfect one eye that is getting better.

Hope this helps and I am sorry I did not see this years ago.

Lynda79

• Posted

Dear m60529,

I did not see my daughter's MIL when she had it but my other daughter said it was terrible. She killed it in 3-4 days as the Avon product used .5% Benzethonium Chloride in it. That was allowed in makeup. I think because there was just under 20% of people who were allergic to it they replaced it.

You could try a small area and see what the results are when you use the wipes on your skin.

A girl came over and had Eczema and it was infected on her face. I had her hold a wipe on her skin and not rub just press against that bad area. She turned it over and did the other side of the wipe for an extra ten minutes. When I saw her a couple of days later she looked so much better. 

If you don't have it on your skin you don't need to use the wipes on it. I found the problem was in my lashes and had to keep at it for over 3 months to kill it. 

The 2 doctors I went to told me it would come back. I went to the one doctor this last January and it had been 5 years and he could not find it in my eyes. He said I was one of the lucky ones. I kept my mouth shut. It was, actually, a desperate situation and a desperate solution to try. 

My daughter's MIL was desperate too and tried that antibacterial facial scrub on her face and killed it.

I do have a Thyroid doctor who want to see my posts of people who are having success.

This problem can move up on the skin. I am going by her situation as that is what happened to her.

Hope this helps,

Lynda79

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.