Ongoing digestive symptoms and pain, unable to get a diagnosis

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi all, I've recently posted and read lots of threads regarding people unable to get a proper diagnosis and suffering through this.

I have had many tests done including CT scan, CT enterography, ultrasound, colonoscopy, upper endoscopy, blood panels, blood screening for inflamatory diseases, stool and urine tests and more. Nothing was conclusive enough to establish a diagnosis.

They did find inflamation in my terminal ileum which according to GI was not characteristic of Crohn's but after 2 scans, still decided to put me on corticosteroids for 6 weeks.

I'm 2 weeks in and and don't feel any better at all. I have pain everyday mostly in my upper abdomen and mid back. I feel like something is inflamed or out of place under my upper right ribs. It causes a burning and gnawing sensation under both ribs from front to the back of ribcage. I also struggle with gas, which makes my lower abdomen distended and tender. I also have frequent belching and hiccups.

My stools are everything but normal, they often are multi-toned, pale and full of residues . It's generally consistent and somehow formed.

BUT, I've realized after eating steaks or grilled meats, my stools turned extremely bulky and disgusting . It did look somehow like a cow's dung.

I was and I'm still concerned of pancreas/gallbladder issues but nothing has showed up in the tests. Enzymes were normal, no findings on both CT scans. My elastase 1 came back over 500 which is not suggestive of EPI.

I asked for a MRI and EUS next.

Is anyone going through something similar ?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

maybe request a round of multiple antibiotics in case there is some bacteria/parasite that has invaded other organs? not common but have heard of that happening...

• Posted

Hi,

I have similar symptoms as you mentioned.

I get upper abdominal aches which are more uncomfortable than painful.

I do have some indigestion problems but nothing too bad.

The discomfort is more on the LUQ and centre of the chest.

My GP diagnosed me with acid reflux and I do have symptoms similar to it considering my frequent burping.

But really, I'm not too sure here and it does stress me out quite a bit.

If you find a solution to your problem, please share it here!

• Posted

hi Alex, I have had the same tests for upper ab pain, just below sternum for 5 months. . food/ppi's no difference. i do have a hiatal hernia, my reflux symptoms have improved, i do get HB at times, phlemgn. Diet helps. PCP, GI sent me to a surgeon. he suspects Gall bladder although CT only reveiled a cyst on GB and HIDA was ok ( did take time for radioactive fluid from GB to small Int. but they didnt feel it was bad) there are 3 doctors at the clinic, each take out 150 GB a year. i am highly considering removal. i drink Apple cider vinegar tonics hopeing to flush out. not sure if hiatal causes this also. ;/ Praying, good luck!

• Posted

Hi,

I have the same upper abdominal discomfort which doesn't exact cause much pain but it's uncomfortable (kinda like something stuck there).

GP diagnosed me with acid reflux and prescribed some medications.

The PPI's help with the heartburn but no change in the upper abdominal discomfort.

I've also been belching a lot.

It's been two months now and no change in the symptoms.

• Posted

I have been suffering with various symptoms over the past 2 years or so. I have been diagnosed with IBS after multiple different tests. They have done so many tests on me over the past 2 years (listed below)

Blood tests

CRP Blood test

COVID

Spirometry Test

Mammogram

Breast ultrasound

Holter Monitor (24 hours)

ECG

abdominal ultrasound

chest x ray

pelvic ultrasound

Stool sample

Everything came back clear, so they put it down to IBS. Since starting with symptoms which include so many different things. Ribcage discomfort, upper/middle and lower backache, cramping, bloated, constipation and stool changes. My stress levels and anxiety is through the roof because its a constant worry, its definitely affecting my everyday life because its like a dark cloud following me around because i cant accept that all of this can only be IBS. I'm moody, irritable, short tempered, distant, distracted. But all i get told is to try yoga, meditating and counselling. Good luck trying to get in with a counselor during a worldwide pandemic, so instead i just plod on each day and try and push it to the back of my mind. I guess the point i'm trying to make is that you're not alone, it seems many of us are in the same boat.

• Posted

Hi, I know it's a late reply after two years, I am suffering from the same sympotms since two months ago, is there any update on the diagnosis?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.