Ongoing or episodic.?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'd be quite interested in hearing how many people here have long term problems with anxiety / depression or have episodes, say every 8 years but in between are full of life and positive?

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey I am more episodic x I have had three episodes in fourteen years x each lasting 10 months then fully recover x I am presently recovering now from my third and life is now really good  I usually get about 6 years in between episodes but this time with the rite meds and CBT I i intend to have longer years in between x
  • Posted

dereko, to show how you can get involved in prescribed drugs in this group, I have chronic, severe IBS-D (Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Diarrhea). There isn't much that you can do but treat the symptoms. I was put on 1 mg lorazepam with meals and at bedtime, 4 mgs per day, about 5 years ago, still on them. Also, prescribed Remeron for IBS caused depression, because one of the side effects is constipation, which would help with the diarrhea, and also GI docs use Remeron to treat nausea. So now I am on Ativan & Remeron, and wasn't prescribed either one for the most common causes! Before all this, I had a problem with depression that was due to a personal situation, and was treated with Zoloft, and after the problem, with time, resolved, I stopped cold turkey without a problem. I realize this is not exactly what you are looking for, it is just that I have been treated with those same type of meds for years. I tried to get off the the Remeron twice, and had to get back on 7.5 mgs. I now, by the way, find that if you are taking Mirtazapine and a drug in the Lorazepam class, you need to get off the benzodiazapine first, as mirtazapine effects the way that your body metabolizes the benzodiazapine, and you can potentially have withdrawal from both, which I may have had and why the withdrawal was bad enough to have to get back on the mirtazapine. I hope that this has been helpful, as I wish that I had known it before trying. My next task is to try to get off the Ativan.
    • Posted

Hi David your post seems like I've just been reading about myself.  I suffer chronic IBS and have done for the last 10yrs. I was given Mirtazapine for it but I was also on Tamazapam and Diazpam to which I've been on for about 20yrs. I've been on the Mirtazapine for the last4yrs. Over about the last 6mths I've been trying to get off it. I started at 45mg and I'm now down to 15mg with great difficulty,the lower the dose the stronger the Stomack pain becomes. My GP now tells me to stay at the 15mg untill my Tum settles but I don't think that's going to happen. Personally I don't think I should have been given this drug and I wish I hadnt . I would be interested to know if you've found anything to give you releif from IBS.       Sorry to have gone on so long but your the first person I've read about that has been put on this drug for IBS. Keep Well
    • Posted

Norma, the only thing that I can tolerate is Hyomax SL (hyoscyamine). You place it under your tongue, and you feel the spasm start to relax in about 5 minutes or so. They don't taste bad either, kind of like mint. The dose is .125 mg. It is prescribed by a number of names, Nu Lev, Levsid, Levsid SL, and others. I have been to the hospital Emergency Room twice this year. Once they thought that I had a kidney stone, the other was for heart attck symptoms; both times turned out to be IBS pain. My problem area is the Splenic Flexure ( the upper left area just under the ribs and back). The mirtazapine was prescribed for depression and nausea, but as I told the doctor, "you get rid of the IBS pain and I won't need anything for depression. Anyone with chronic pain is going to be depressed, if not, they have an even bigger problem". My wife also has IBS, and she takes Librax, which does the job for her. She says that were iit not for Librax, she would't be able to work. Good luck on finding something that will work. I would at least give the Hyomax SL a try. The generic name is Hyoscyamine SL.(SL is sub lingual). The worse pain that I have ever had is IBS spasms. It is horrible, and you never hear about new research or anything positive for the people suffering from this condition. IBS is the number one reason for patients visiting GI doctors. They make money doing all the tests to rule out other more serious things, and when it turns out to be IBS, that is when you are told that there is no cure and they seem to lose interest. Not all of them, but most of them. I hope that this has been helpful. David
    • Posted

Boy David every word you said there is so right. Whenever I have an appointment with some Gp consultant or whoever reads my meds its a case of ( oh I see you suffer with Depprestion) well no I suffer with chronic IBS which in turn depresses me,the times I've stated that is unbelieveable.            I have had a heart attack and the meds they gave me for that caused an Underactive Thyroid,I've got Ephesema,Rhuematoid Athritis,and Beleive me none of them have ruined my quality of life like what is refered to as JUST IBS,as you say the spasms are beyond belief. I'm also on 4 other meds just for IBS which I'm comeing off when I've conquered the Mirtazapine .I have also had a few trips to AE. What I do find is at the moment my only relief is sleep, so I take a Tamazapam for sleep, which I've taken for the last 20 yrs now my GP wants to take me off it because it's addictive what a joke.              Anyway David thank you for the reply I have now got something else to present to my GP. Keep Well and if you ever get a cure put it all over the Internet in capital letters,ha ha.Take Care you and your wife.
    • Posted

Thank you Norma, and good luck to you as well. If you get a chance to try the Hyomax SL, I hope that it helps. I am in pain right now, IBS and a pinched nerve in my spine. I had to make a 4.5 hour drive Thursday, and I thought that I was going to have to pull over and throw up just from the pain of sitting in one position for that long. Gob Bless You and Your Loved Ones, David
    • Posted

Hi David I hope your having a better day today. My husband and I haven't had a holiday for the last 6yrs due to that exact reason, I can't stand to sit in the same position for very long. I find when I'm on my feet it's easier but due to my other problems I can't do that for long,my only releif at the moment is sleep. I've been seeing a professor of Gastrology who says because that's a releif to me it must be a dysfunctional bowel, so he's sending me off to another Proffessor of Gastrology and Hypnotherepy to see what he can do.       It's gone on that long and I've seen that many people and tests, I think this is my last chance saloon. Anyway I don't really think the right hand knows what the left hand is doing.  I do wish you both good health and I hope things get better for you.Big Hug
    • Posted

Thank you Norma. IBS can be a minor inconvenience, or a debilitating, chronic, painfull state of pure suffering. I have often said that I would never know it if I had colon cancer until it was too late to do anything about it due to the chronic, constant IBS symptoms. I pray for God's help, and wait for His reply. I can hardly go sometimes due to constipation, and an hour later be running the the bathroom with urgent diarrhea. It doesn't seem like anything that I do, eat, or medicines that I take makes much difference. Thank you for the hug, I needed one. And here's one back to you.
    • Posted

Hi David I hope your Haveing a good day.  Sorry to be a nuisance but can I ask you if you come from the UK or USA. I seen my Gp about getting some Hyoscyamine to give it a try, but she hasn't heard of it . Nevertheless I still wish you good health, I'm also gratefull of your help. Take Care 
  • Posted

I have been on Mirt 30 on all three occasions and no withdrawal symptoms at all x
    • Posted

You are very fortunate. Mirtazapine is a powerful chemical designed to alter your body. Once your body adjusts to having anything; alcohol, tobacco, drugs, etc., when you deprive your body, the adjustments that it has made craves what you take from it.
    • Posted

Hey Norma on my second dose I was on Mirt 30 for four years during my nursing degree although I remained well x
    • Posted

And still no side effects I have been found the perfect combo for me I suppose I've been very lucky x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.