Ongoing or episodic.?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'd be quite interested in hearing how many people here have long term problems with anxiety / depression or have episodes, say every 8 years but in between are full of life and positive?

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have Dereko.

My first major episode was at age 16...... My next at 25.....and my current one age 38.

In between I've had a few little blips but nothing that lasted long enough to worry about or felt so bad that I had to take medication. 

Between the major episodes I would say I was very stable and lived a happy full life. 

Xxx

• Posted

Wouldn't take the drug that long to find out. The side effects were a nightmare and the permanent nerve damage is enough...........

Michele

• Posted

Hi Michele can I ask what nerve damage you are referring to & what meds you think caused it? 

I often worry about the long term affects of medication. I've been on 5 different anti depressants over 15years. I try not to take them for longer than a year but my GP has said it takes 18months to reset the brain chemistry. 

• Posted

Hello dinky,

My nerve damage was caused by Simvastatin (choresterol) and Amlodipine (HBP med, calcium blocker). FDA warning on both of these meds, especially when prescribed together. Yes, it's been 8 months now and I'm still having issues with my reset as well. But it gets better as time goes on. I still have bad days. But then are times when I can tell the difference. Now if I could just repair the muscle and nerve damage. I know I would be in a much better place. The PTSD doesn't help, but even it's better now that I'm off those dreaded drugs. I can't even think what kind of shape I might be in if I hadn't caught it in time. People have died from statins.

Are you worried about anti-depressants? I know that your supposed to taper off with those to avoid withdrawl and possible return of depression. I don't think any med that is taken that alters the natural chemistry of our bodies should be stopped cold turkey. It's like putting your body in shock.

• Posted

I have been taking Lexapro for several years now. I tried so many years ago that didn't help until I got on this. It was the only one that seemed to help me feel as close to normal  if that's even possible! LOL....I know it's not funny, but hey, I hide alot of my pain behind laughter. I do alot of listening to my music and singing and JUST BREATHE!! Have to try and find your own peace somehow. That and I pray alot!

Can I ask you...do you talk to a therapist?

• Posted

HI I've had a few therapists over the past 3 years. The one I just had was really unprofessional, started telling me about her life & then when I mentioned dating she told me I "have nothing to offer". I'm glad I just had one session with her. I've had a few bad experiences with therapists. One accused me of being an addict when I'm not at all & another started scowling at me when I was a bit OCD (pure O). It's a minefield trying to get a decent one.
    • Posted

HI I've had a few therapists over the past 3 years. The one I just had was really unprofessional, started telling me about her life & then when I mentioned dating she told me I "have nothing to offer". I'm glad I just had one session with her. I've had a few bad experiences with therapists. One accused me of being an addict when I'm not at all & another started scowling at me when I was a bit OCD (pure O). It's a minefield trying to get a decent one.
    • Posted

That's really horrible for you. Sorry to hear you have PTSD too.

I asked a shrink if I have this or complex ptsd & he said because i'm "functioning" that I don't. I'm so frustrated by doctors not having the time to go other things properly. 

The side effects on all these drugs scare me. I came off my last meds gradually over a couple of weeks & instantly felt better. I can't seem to get past 8months without it all coming back though. I know that if I could have a decent unbroken nights sleep that I'd feel alot better. SAD - seasonal affectiveness disorder makes things worse for me but I've got a light lamp. I know that prolongued stress affects the brain chemistry so that could be it.

• Posted

You are right on all these points. Good therapist is KEY. Nothing to offer? PLEASE. That's as unprofessional as it gets. Sorry to hear that. PTSD...I function and held down 2 full time jobs. I hate it when they try to lump everyone in the same heap and are not willing to listen and do their homework. My therapist is really good. I walked out on the last one.

Have you heard of EMR (if that's right) it's a different kind of therapy. Guess I better look that up again. I considered it. But when I finally came off these meds, most of my sysmtoms went away. I know I"ll always have anxiety. That's is part of my genetic make up now since being abused so young and for so long. I don't care what they say...it never really goes away...but it can get better!

I didn't have side effects from the lexapro...that's why I stuck with it.

it's ok to be be mad.....but not at yourself!!!!

• Posted

Hi Dereko,

my problems developed around 20 years ago. I'm still trying to get a true diagnosis. I've ben told depression & most recently GAD. I've been on 5 different anti depressants over a 15 year period. Most don't seem to be affective after 6months. I've seen 1 psychiatrist (ridiculous I know) in the 20years.

I often get quite angry when I think about how long I've had these problems & not had the help that I've needed. I feel like my life could have been improved with proper care & that I may have gotten over these issues years ago with therapies. 

I'm trying to do things on my own to help my recovery but I know thats not always the way. I'm clearly doing something wrong to not have the hapiness in between that other people are talking about here.

I've been prescribed yet another antidepressant & feel reluctant to start it all up again. 

• Posted

Hey...don't beat yourself up like that. I just listened to an pod cast last night on the peoples pharmacy. They talked about how peolple who are low on magnesuim tend to have depression and anxiety amongst a host of other symptoms. I recently started taking magnesium before bedtime for another reason altogether and notice a difference in both my mood and anxiety. Maybe you could try a low dose and soak in an epsom salt bath. That's another way to soak in magnesium. I was quite shocked as it was very interesting to hear this discussion from doctors. Won't hurt to check it out and see what happens!
    • Posted

I do take magnesium supplements & have nath salts but I could get some Epsom ones. Do you know how much to pu it? I know the salts can help to detoxify. Thanks for the tip.
    • Posted

I bought a 25 lb bag online and it says to put 2 cups in for a full bath. I was amazed at how much better I could stretch my arms and legs after my soak. I also take a lquid oral magnesium just before bed. Good to help you relax and stay regular in the tummy as well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.