Only been on HRT 4 weeks don’t like it ..... do I need to wean off or go cold turkey ?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Just ripped my patch off due to terrible awful dark thoughts wont say the ‘ S ‘ word but when it came to that .... it’s dangerous . 

Wondering if only been on it 4 weeks do I need to taper off? 

It helped with my panic and anxiety but I just didn’t feel myself . It made me wake up super early and the low mood was just too much . Spoke to my dr and said I could cut the patch in half but unsure . 

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Lori, I was on BHRT for 5 weeks and stopped cold turkey. I was fine and there was no need to taper. I wasn't feeling well in general but the dark thoughts I was having never returned once my patch was off. I only had 2 of the negative thoughts spaced a week apart. As soon as I had the second, I took it off that night. I'd say my relief was pretty fast. I hope you get some relief. Hugs

• Posted

Hi Audra 

Thanks for your reply ! So you had them too ? 

My God it was awful . I’ve never felt so dark in all my life ! I know it supposedly ‘keeps you young ‘ but I don’t care I’ll get a facelift ! 

I only went on it as my fatigue and dizziness was unbearable but I’ll take that over suicidal thoughts any day ! 

• Posted

You haven't had it long enough to wean off. If I wasn't feeling well I'd remove it. My doctor would stop my hrt cold turkey so I don't think it's a big deal.

• Posted

Ok thank you ! It helped in some areas fatigue panic  and dizziness but not worth the ‘dark thoughts’. I kind of lost me on it ....it’s only been one day but feel better already . If I crash again I’ll just deal with it .... and remember how bad I felt on it ! 
    • Posted

Lori, double up on vitamin D3 and take vitamin C, the C with food. The vd3 worked immensely to help me from feeling down. The medical community doesn't call it the "sunshine pill" for nothing. I recommend you get some Maca if things get bad again.

• Posted

Yes I take a ton of vitamins including d3 and c but my fatigue and dizziness was so bad I had to try the patch . I could not function. 

Boy is this a tough journey ! 

• Posted

We are all entitled to our opinions and in my opinion for me, it made things worse, and weirder, darker.

For others it works though.

you are only in this 4 weeks, and so you wont have a problem going off it compared to being on it for several months.

Do what you feel best, but dark thoughts are really not good. I know because ive had many of them.

Just let your doc know. 

x0x0x

• Posted

Lori, 

While everyone is different, my guess is you will be able to remove the patch without many problems.  4 weeks isn't a long time, and obviously your body didn't adjust well to have some estradiol again.  If you do have some problems, you can always put one back on, either leaving it a little longer than the recommended amount of days, or if it's a matrix style patch, you can also cut the patch into a smaller piece and slowly taper.   I also took the patch off without incident.  

Let us know what you decided and how you're doing.  

• Posted

I’m scared to death that the fatigue and dizziness will come back ... it was horrific before putting on the patch . But dark dark thoughts with the patch .

May just try half patch for a week and see how I do . I already feel better this morning the patch was making me wake up hyper and super early .,

• Posted

Hello Lori, have you ever done hormonal blood test? or your doctor suggested the patch based on your peri symptoms?

I hope to feel better on lower dose...peri is a nightmare....I am getting up the nights and I am wondering if this is reality or a nightmare?

• Posted

Hi evi

Yes I did the test and both estrogen and progesterone were low .... otherwise very healthy . Will leave it on 1/2 patch for a week and if my mood doesn’t improve then I’m DONE! I’ll just have to deal with the fatigue and dizziness ... it’s all a nightmare . 

• Posted

Hi Lori, which hrt patches was you on? I felt like you did before I went on hrt, I am now on everol estergen only

• Posted

Hi Victoria 

I’m in Climara Pro both estrogen and progesterone it’s all been a NIGHTMARE ! Before the patch I was dizzy faint and ready for bed at 4.30pm now I’m just very very low ... so trying 1/2 patch . Just want to feel happy 😪

• Posted

Hi Lori

I will be on my 4th week next week and due back at docs next Friday to either get some more pills or to not take them anymore. I have had a few low days but nothing like what you were experiencing on your hey, With me it's pain in my finger joints that started this week and my itching has gotten worse (only gets this bad when due period) had no period yet, do you get periods on hrt) I'm getting spotty to and my restless leg has come back therefore not sure what's going on. I do feel happier though but been off sick for 3 weeks because my anxiety and depression reached a peak because my job was making everything worse. I think you did the right thing in stopping yours if was making you have dark thoughts.

• Posted

I’ve actually gone down to half of a patch for now ..... just to see . I figure if that doesn’t work then I’m giving up !

Yes I got 2 periods within 2 weeks of starting it so that was a bit strange . 

I still feel weird and just dying to feel like myself again . It’s like I’m not in my body . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.