Op on wednesday and feeling pretty scared

Posted , 3 users are following.

Its been a long time coming after years of pain but Im booked in to have my gall bladder removed on Wednesday this week day surgery and at the moment im feeling sick with nerves and worry....I need the damn thing to come out but im terrified of actually having the surgery horrible dreams about things going wrong ,not waking up etc. im a bag of nerves did anyone else feel so nervous as this and how did you cope with the actual days leading up to your op any tips would be greatly appreciated as i suffer with health anxiety :shock: sad

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hallo catp

Try not to feel too nervous. I felt exactly the same as you, quite convinced something was going to go wrong during the op. Had my op in June this year and when I was in the anaesthetic room I nearly jumped off the trolley and was very close to tears, then the next thing I knew it was all over, I was in the recovery room. Life has been wonderful since coz I can now eat anything, and I'm totally pain free.

Its normal to feel frightened but just think about the pain you suffer and that it will stop.

Let us know how it goes, and good luck for Wed.

• Posted

Thanks alot for your reply I know im probabaly over reacting but its difficult but i know its the right thing to do i had pasta for tea and even that is giving me hassel tonight with pain in myside and back under my ribs and im feeling pretty sick with heartburn to add to it sad so it just has to go lol keeping my fingers crossed that it will still go ahead as the hospitals are supposed to be striking wednesday for non urgent ops sad tp top it all i have a runny nose jeez but hasnt turned into a cold.....Im lad that your op went well and now youre feeling much better and im a bit more relaxed knowing that Im not alone in thinking these kind of thoughts thanks again :lol:
  • Posted

I have no doubt things will go well for you, take care smile Watch out for the bus :wink: :D
  • Posted

Thank you dr spok for replying :D i even went into work today on my day off so i would,nt be sat at home whittling about tommorow.....the damn thing needs to go i need to feel human again i just need to tell my stupid adaled brain these things :? Having a health anxiety and ocd is so dibilitataing....
  • Posted

I've been there - the OCD and anxiety is crippling. I have sent you a PM. Let me know how you got on.

Thinking of you.

• Posted

How did it go? smile
  • Posted

My op is next week, my current symptoms seem to be pain at the right hand side shoulder blade, and sometimes at the left shoulder blade too.

I like others are nervous, and I am worried that even after I have recovered from the op that I still have the same pains, I say this as they have told me that it may not solve all of my symptoms. :cry:

• Posted

Let's hope you'll feel like a butterfly breaking free of it's chrysalis :D
  • Posted

[quote:0f120f85b2=\"Dr_Spock\"]Let's hope you'll feel like a butterfly breaking free of it's chrysalis :D[/quote:0f120f85b2]

Thanks, just wish the op was after Xmas, but have had symptoms for quite some time and time now for the GB to go.

I am hoping that they X-ray for stones in the bile duct during the procedure.

Worrying about bile consistently flowing into my intestines.

• Posted

Err, yeah they might do an x-ray,, but somehow I don't... :oops: It'll be wham, bam, thank you mam, then you'll be packed off home with a box of Diclofenac and a box of the strong Co-codamol or similar pills :D The bile is nothing to worry about, it's better giving you loose bowel movements than refluxing up your oesophagus :cheers:
  • Posted

[quote]I wonder why I get an ache on my left shoulder blade only sometimes and then it radiates down the arm and then my hand. Did you have that?
  • Posted

Yeah it's classic GB, both arms, mostly the right arm though smile
  • Posted

[quote:aac2fdc17b=\"Dr_Spock\"]Yeah it's classic GB, both arms, mostly the right arm though smile[/quote:aac2fdc17b]

I suppose it can affect people differently.

• Posted

[quote:5419e40138=\"cat p\"]Thank you dr spok for replying :D i even went into work today on my day off so i would,nt be sat at home whittling about tommorow.....the damn thing needs to go i need to feel human again i just need to tell my stupid adaled brain these things :? Having a health anxiety and ocd is so dibilitataing....[/quote:5419e40138]

cat p,

I am a bit worried that you haven't been back to say how it went and how you are doing post op?

• Posted

She's snuffed it!!! :shock: :cry:

Nah she's probably suffering from an over exuberance of wellness :lol: :oops:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.