Open inguinal hernia mesh repair

Posted , 16 users are following.

It's been 2wks 4days since I had open inguinal hernia mesh repair, should the area have a hard lump underneath the skin and swell up after walking ?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It's early days.  The healing takes time, probably longer than you've been told.  If there's some bleeding inside you may have a slight haematoma which will resolve eventually.  If it becomes painful, hot and throbbing you should see your doctor immediately but otherwise wait for the scar tissue to settle down.  It will get better! 

• Posted

The hard lump could be the healing ridge, which is normal and will settle in time, but it also could be a seroma, infection or something else. It should not be swelling that much I believe from experience having had this surgery myself. I had to have the mesh removed. I would call your doctor and go to see them asap.
  • Posted

It's normal that it feels like they buried a finger inside you. That'll go down in a few months. You should still be taking it easy at this point and the swelling should subside. Those moments where you feel like you just tore your hernia again, will become less and less. 2 weeks, 4 days, is still pretty recent. give it time.

• Posted

That's exactly what it feels like, I went to my doctors and they seemed fine with how it looked/felt saying it will take time and need to carry on resting but could potter around do some walking or swimming, but I have pressure from family saying I should be up and about, guessing I should be listening to my doctor and not them thanks.

• Posted

I think the hard ridge along the scar is normal. Mine was 20 months months ago and it's still the same. Still numb in places too. Take it easy, you don't want any complications! I wasn't allowed to drive for 6 weeks and then only after being checked by my Doctor. 

• Posted

I glad you mentioned hard ridge   It's only now after 9 weeks my scar line has started to soften a bit.  I feel that no one prepared me for how it would feel

• Posted

I was like you, doing well and fairly active, but was very swollen at first. It was 3 months before I felt the wound had competely healed, and was doing all the things I was doing before.
    • Posted

Mine was almost 2weeks ago. Terrible swelling and much bruising but better finally . Can breathe and move w/o hurting so much. Ty for your info I know everyone is different but this site is great!
  • Posted

Since my first post I have had a good read on the healing ridge and everything I read recommended massaging the area, have been doing that twice a day and the results are impressive when I get up in the morning the lump is hardly visible and soft but as the day goes on it does harden up and swell.not on any pain meds now and can walk more comfortably. It will be 4 weeks this coming weds since surgery and i have my check up with the surgeon on Fri so fingers crossed everything's ok. I just don't understand why we aren't given all this information pre and post surgery.

• Posted

Welcome to 21st century health services.  It is likely that none of the staff involved in your care have actually had a hernia repair so are totally unaware of the subjective experience.  It seems the days when doctors and nurses actually knew their patients and learnt from them are now gone.  It's from websites like this that we can learn about the reality of suffering with various illnesses and post-operative experiences.  It is now over one year since my inguinal hernia open mesh repair and I still get niggles (but generally it's been a great success).

• Posted

Up date on my condition had my 4 week check just over a week ago surgeon seemed happy less than a week later I'm sat in hospital having antibiotics through drip as I have a pocket of fluid that's infected under the skin. Been on antibiotics for 2 days now but think they want to cut the scar open today to drain it and leave it as an open wound to heal with a nurse coming to pack it everyday, has anyone had the same experience ?

• Posted

Yes. I had something called a seroma and they drained it by sticking a needle and taking out the fluid. I also had two drains with a bottle each to continue with at home. There was an infection in the wound, as there was after the bowel cancer surgery. The hernia infection was not as bad as the first one, but I still needed visits from District Nurses to pack it and change the dressing. Oh, and cellulitis later, a pink spreading on my skin. That needed more hospital and three big injections of antibiotics daily for a few days. All that was about 20 months ago and no problems since. It all sounds dramatic, but it really wasn't too bad. Just inconvenient really. I wasn't feeling ill and almost enjoyed my enforced stays. I went back to visit my 'favourite nurse,' after 17 months, but she didn't seem to remember me. Oh well. You'll be fine, the worst is over! biggrin

• Posted

My surgery will be 2 weeks ago this coming Tues.

Have been very swollen in stomach and lower extremities but finally has started to go awaysmile tons of very very dark purple black bruised in pubic area. When returning for my 1 am ckup my doctor called his asst in to see my bruising and asked if she remember my surgery. She kept apologizing for the bruising and asked if I was alright? My surgeon said he didn't think he'd every seen one quite like mine.... I asked why he explained but it was over my head.

I'm good and improving w everyday . I had no idea what to expect just glad to be up and moving which I did so afterwards but very difficult for sure. I'm 63 and in good shape just get really tired of walking a distance. A little uncomfortable at times but better smile

Really don't know about knots or lumps yet still tender .

Hope yours improves w time I think they tell u 2 weeks but it's more like maybe longer! Dr told my husband it was 2 large hernias on one side and on the other the cord he pulled lots of what he called fat out rolleyes but think like small hernias idk .... Just glad it's done and I can get bad to my life againsmile

• Posted

Hi Vicki. Yes I had large dark bruises after open mesh hernia surgery. On my left side though. Not sure why. I didn't ask but wish I had now. I took a photo! They disappeared after a short time. Take care. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.