Open inguinal hernia mesh repair

Posted , 16 users are following.

It's been 2wks 4days since I had open inguinal hernia mesh repair, should the area have a hard lump underneath the skin and swell up after walking ?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Did u have laparoscopic? Not walking a big distance yet bc I'm not up to it yet only will b 2 weeks Tuesday...

So glad to be improving and mo I g forward .

Think it takes time pretty sensitive place to have surgery !

• Posted

Had surgery yesterday to drain the infection it was a blood clot that my body was trying to sort but got infected not sure why my surgeon didn't pick up on it on the Friday the week before as it had been there for ages. Hopefully back home today after I've had the wound packed and dressed luckily it's not to deep and only an inch long. Got to carry in taking antibiotics while at home too.

• Posted

Hi. I have a hard lump near what I suspect is the edge/corner of the mesh and I think it may be a suture/clip or whatever; it doesn't swell. My surgery was 6 weeks ago and everything healed very well except I still have a niggling nerve pain (burning) much of the time which is not lessening and I suspect will not go away. My post-op check was 1 week after the op so my surgeon will never know who has any residual pain unless they complain. I believe many surgeons have little idea or dress-up recovery times and the degree of residual pain or lumps etc. We need more honesty and more information before the op and in making a decision. I realise now that finding a surgeon with a large amount of hernia repair experience is vital.

• Posted

I hope your feeling better kirsty. I am booked in to have mine sorted in late September and after reading a few horror stories elsewhere I bottled out of going for a lucky dip in general surgery and have instead booked in with a private hernia clinic with someone that only performs hernia surgery for many years so hopefully I will be reporting back that all is well shortly after the op. I must say I am rather nervous about it all though as I can't afford to be off work for long. I have 5 days to recover and them I need to get back to work.

• Posted

My Inguinal hernia op was well done by an experienced surgeon and there were no complications. I could have returned to a desk job, or one without much physical activity after 5 days. It was National Health, and I almost decided not to have it done until the very last minute because of possible complications, but there were none. Some people are lucky, but I would be just as nervous about making the same decision again.
  • Posted

Hi kirstyrdg, I had a femoral hernia repair by a consultant in London a week ago and although the operation went well (i think) I have also developed a hard ridge lump I guess where the mesh was inserted. The actual incision in order to get in there is right in the groin area which looks ok. I have made an appointment to see the consultant tomorrow for him to check it out. It says nothing in the notes to say that a lump could appear so worried about what he will say and whether I've lifted something to heavy and omits split or something. Did you say you'd been back to see the surgeon?

• Posted

Hi all, I had a femoral hernia repair by a consultant in London a week ago and although the operation went well (i think) I have also developed a hard ridge lump I guess where the mesh was inserted. The actual incision in order to get in there is right in the groin area which looks ok. I have made an appointment to see the consultant tomorrow for him to check it out. It says nothing in the notes to say that a lump could appear so worried about what he will say and whether I've lifted something to heavy and caused it split underneat or something, but I guess I would experience pain?

• Posted

Yes I was experiencing pain and nearly fainted at work. I would say if your concerned get it checked because if I didn't go back to the hospital It would have turned into septicaemia. You know your own body and I got mine checked twice by doctors and surgeon and not one of them seemed concerned as though I was over reacting if they would have done more checks I wouldn't be in the position I'm in now. My cut ended up being 5cm long 2cm deep and was left open to drain and heal on its own. 3 weeks later I'm still having it packed and dressed by the nurse. Supposed to be going to Las Vegas for my 30th birthday a week on Sunday 😕 not to mention I actually spent my 30th birthday in hospital 😢

• Posted

Just had my inguinal hernia repair 2 days ago so resting up for a few days. Doing OK so far and only discomfort is the incision area which is sore. Been taking some pain meds and may start to wind them down from tomorrow.  For me today feels better than yesterday so I'm hoping I will feel a little better now with each day.

How has yours been since you last posted kirsty, is it all healed and OK now?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.