Open Myomectomy

Posted , 81 users are following.

I am just over 4 weeks post open myomectomy and was wondering how others have recovered. The scar is still swollen and sore which I expected however at times I get what I can only describe as sharp "stabbing" pains. These seem to be more from inside my body rather than from the scar. Is this normal? I'm not due to see my GP for another week so just wanted to check with others who may have gone through the procedure.

3 likes, 141 replies

141 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi All, I'm also new to the discussion and found this thread while looking for any info on how long it takes for swelling to go down after myomectomy.

I had multiple fibroids ranging from grapefruit-size to lemons and had an open myomectomy, horizontal cut, 3.5 weeks ago in Chicago. Before surgery I was on lupron to reduce the size of the fibroids and severe bleeding. I actually did pretty well on the lupron. I had headaches and noticed some brain fog the first month. I had pretty intense hot flashes the second month. But, my fibroids shrunk over 50% , which allowed for a horizontal incision instead of a vertical one, and I continued to lose weight while on the drug. I lost about 60 lbs total over the 6 months pre surgery.

My incision and belly were perfectly flat immediately post surgery, but within 24 hours everything really swelled up. For the first three weeks I felt flat-out disfigured and was pretty upset about it. The area above the incision and below the navel swelled out multiple inches, like a canopy sticking out over the incision. Also the incision got very hard and deep, like there is a row of pennies perpendicular to my body creating a weird, deep ridge.

I came home from the hospital with an abdominal binder and during week two discovered that if I wore it, it helped a lot with pain. It's as if when its not on and I'm standing up, my internal organs flop forward and press on the areas that are trying to heal, causing pain. The binder holds everything in place and almost immediately, much less pain. It works well for sleeping too. I'm a side sleeper and had been feeling a lot of pain on my side without the binder to hold things in place. Hugging a pillow wasn't quite enough support for me but also helped.

At my post op appt my doc said that everything looks fine, and I have to be patient about the swelling going down. It is getting better very slowly, day by day. I am also experiencing pulling and stabbing pains, not at the incision but inside around my uterus I presume. But that is also getting better/less frequent. I'm hoping the swelling goes down completely sometime soon- will check back in to update on progress.

Thanks everyone for posting about your experiences- it really helps to be able get a sense of what to expect!

• Posted

finally, I don't feel alone. refer to my original post at the top of this page.
  • Posted

Hi

I am 10 weeks post-op after an open myomectomy (bikini line, horizontal scar) to remove multiple fibroids under NHS Scotland. I also asked my surgeon to take pics lol... he was very accommodating and if anyone is wondering, they look like chicken meatballs!

I am 44, no children, 5'8" in relatively good shape and pretty active.

Pre Op

I had multiple fibroids of every type: pedunculated, intramural, submucous, subcerous and intracavitory. I believe the fibroids themselves are the same, it is just where they are attached in the womb that differentiates them. Largest was about the size of a grapefruit and I had around 20 of various size removed in total.

I was diagnosed with fibroids over ten years ago. As they weren't causing any discomfort other than heavy periods I didn't feel the need for surgery until now.

Lately I was experiencing prolonged periods lasting 3-12 weeks with heavy flooding and clotting. The fibroids had expanded so that my womb was six times its natural size and they were now pressing on my bladder and other organs.

Firstly I would start by saying the operation is relatively pain-free and I am happy I had it done. That said, we need to remind ourselves it is still a major surgery. I think we forget during our recovery period just how much trauma our body has endured.

Surgery:

The surgery lasted around 4-5 hours. During which I lost 2.2L of blood. When I awoke in the recovery room I was tired and what felt like very mild cramp. From advice I had researched on forums, I asked for a heat pack immediately to combat any pain I might experience once the pain meds wore off completely. After dozing off again, I awoke on the ward with, again, only very mild cramp-like pains. I was hooked up to a self-administering morphine drip, but I never felt the need to take any. The heat packs kept any pains at bay. I had the nurse re-heat them every hour or so and I did not use any other pain medication during my hospital stay.  

I had a catheter for the first 24 hours which was a bizarre but not uncomfortable feeling... one minute you need the toilet, the next you don't. There is no action felt of actually relieving yourself. This was removed on the morning of day 2. Again slightly embarassing and uncomfortable, but no pain.

Post-surgery

I pretty much slept the first 24 hours. On my back as I did feel sharp pains if I moved a certain way, but again nothing too excruciating. The nurses drew blood every few hours to monitor iron levels. I had extremly light spotting the first day.

The nurses encourage you to try to take a few steps on day 2, including a shower. Unfortunately this was where the blood loss took its toll and I fainted. Despite our efforts to have my body regenerate itself, I did require a blood transfusion and earned an extra two days in hospital. The first ten days or so it was strange going to the toilet... no.1 was okay, but no.2 was a weird sensation. I wasn't constipated as such, but you had to just let it all happen naturally by itself.

During hospital the only real pain was from trapped wind, which increased my 3 out of ten pain score to a 6 out ten. It was also extremely painful to laugh, sneeze and cough, you will be amazed how much we use our stomach muscles! I would recommend taking an extra pillow with you to squeeze to your belly during any of these actions... and also to protect your stomach from a seatbelt on the way home. I still use a pillow while driving 10 weeks after surgery. 

​At day 3 I was tentatively walking. Day 5 I was allowed home. By which point the outside scar was absolutely fine. I hade a few water blisters from the bandage removal. 

Home after surgery

Day 6-14 I did no more than climb a set of stairs a day. During this time I also saw the nurse to make sure my disolvable stiches were completely removed.

My belly was swollen and the area around the scar felt much like your cheek does when the anaesthetic wears off after a trip to the dentist.

Only after day 15 did I feel able to leave the house. Walking was still tentative and laughing, caughing, sneezing was challenging. Trying to get in and out a car was very challenging. By week 4 I was walking relatively fine and managing to sleep on my side. By week 5 I had tentatively progressed to sleeping on my belly and driving short distances/

I had hoped to go back to work (desk job) week 5, but sensibly waited until week 6. I also used the trusted pillow on my lap under my desk for another two weeks. By week 5 I was driving (again with pillow on lap under seatbelt). I did not go back to my part-time job (a lot of standing and walking) until week 8. I did not lift anything heavy until week 9.

10 weeks after surgery

I have had two periods, both the lightest periods I have ever experienced in my life. So far so good.

Now on week 11 I still have bloating, gas, wind and the odd sharp pain here and there. The area around the scar is a little bit, not tender but 'soft'.

I especially swell up after I have done any prolonged exercise (still only walking and light running). I am hoping to go back to the gym next week, but will seek advice from personal trainer on what I can and can't do. Heavy lifting is still not a good idea. I have just arrived home from a weekend in Iceland with no majpr incident.

I believe it takes over three months for our bodies to completely recover. I am really happy with my external scar, but you will just have to guage how your own internal scars are healing. The swelling, bloating, sharp pangs are just our bodies way of telling us to take it easy.

Tips for going to hospital

- a pillow (press against your stomach when laughing etc.)

- peppermint tea (to relive wind)

- laxatives (to help with constipation, although I did not need these)

- magazines, not books (in case you drop the book on your stomach)

- kindle or tablet to relieve the boredom

- ear plugs (I shared a ward with a few snorers)

- eye mask (the nurses open the window blinds very early)

- Ask if you are allowed McDonalds or equivelant milkshake brought in (I felt this helped with the mild cramp). This also helped me during period cramps pre-op, so maybe take whatever you would normally take to help ease your own cramps.

- sanitory towels 

- underwear at least two sizes bigger than normal. Your stomach will be swollen and you do not want a tight waistband digging in to your scar.

- pyjamas again at least two sizes bigger, not a nighty as you will be showing your stomach area to a lot of clinical staff!

Hope this helps!

• Posted

finally, I don't feel alone. refer to my original post at the top of this page.
    • Posted

wow, wonderful account of the process of a myomectomy, think this will give everyone the info they need if they are going through something similar.
    • Posted

Hi

Hope you are feeling better! I definitely wouldn't be lifting anything heavy at work any time soon. I am not even taking the dog for a walk in case she pulls too hard on the lead. 

x

• Posted

Thank you so much for such a great account of your journey!

After doing TONS of research and getting multiple opinions, I called my doctor yesterday to begin the process of getting my procedure approved through my insurance company, so I should have an official surgery date within the next week.

This is such a great forum. I've literally gotten questions answered and even found some great points brought up to ask my doctor about. I've even made a (quite thorough thanks to this site) pre/post-op checklist. Thanks to you all, I feel more prepared than ever!

• Posted

I'm 37, tall, a yoga lover. I had my open myo four days ago, and was a outpatient because of rampid: Went in at 6:30am home by 4pm. They removed a 8cm, and two 1-2cm fibroids. Today I woke up feeling fine. My incisions still hurt, and burn when I utilize my ab muscles. But today, day 5, I walked around the neighborhood for (leisurely) 25 minutes, threw the ball with my dogs outside for 20min, put dishes away, started laundry and made the bed. It was very odd, as I slept and hardly moved for the past few days. I've been taking lots of water, ice packs, vitamins, cayenne, turmeric and d-mannose. I've also been taking vegan protein shakes and natural laxatives. I'm a Pescetarian. Maybe that's has helped in the healing process...

• Posted

*rampid: Hosplital staph infections...
    • Posted

Luna 12 I am so very impressed with your recovery. With my first myomectomy I was up and out of the hospital relatively quickly and ready to get back to my life since I had my surgery out of state. I did not take any pain medication. I'm having surgery this time and I actually have a desk job so I'm kind of worried about needing to go back to work relatively quickly. You've given me some hope though. My fibroids are about the size of a 4 month pregnancy I have a consultation coming up pretty soon. I hope that I can have another horizontal incision. It seems as though healthy diet and exercise pre-surgery does make a difference in recovery.

• Posted

Oolala7 i hope every thing goes fine with you. Actually i am scheduled for an open myomectomy within the next week to remove multiple fybroids with one of them over 5 lbs, But i am supposed to leave to study abroad within less than 5 weeks. i am really worried that i won't be able to go (especially with a trip over 22 hours with multiple stops). i talked to my doctor and he was not clear about it, he just said that we will see! I really am confused and thinking about postponing the surgery sad

• Posted

Hi Yasmin,

A 22 hour flight with multiple stops does not sound promising for you @ this time, I just have to be honest. Just the seatbelt alone will cause you discomfort. I'm 10 weeks post op and the seatbelt in the car still bothers me @ times. Hopefully you can make other arrangements... The best of luck to you.

• Posted

Hi Kelli,

Thank you for your reply. I too think that it's gonna be impossible. But, yesterday i visited another doctor and he gave me the choice whether to have the surgery now or to wait until i come back, especially that my fibrosis despite its huge size is not actually showing any symptoms other than a bit of discomfort at the abdomin.

I am still thinking about it, but actually i think i'm going for the postponing option.

• Posted

Hi Yasmin,

That sounds like a good idea. Best of luck to you in your health and studies abroad!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.