Open myomectomy recovery

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello

I had an open myomectomy 7 days ago to remove 7 fibroids. The largest was 14cm and the other 6 were in the ranges of 3-7cm. My surgeon seems to have done an excellent job, thankfully not a vertical cut either which i was dreading but also removed a cyst and endometriosis on one of the ovaries which came as a surprise. I have two concerns:

1. I have no children and aged 40. Has anybody successfully gone onto have a baby after an open myomectomy after the age of 40? If so how long did it take you to get pregnant after the surgery? Was it natural conception or aided by anything? I really need some hope here!

2. Does anyone know if it is normal to experience tight, pulling sensations on the incision? Like muscles contracting and relaxing (without pain)? Is this the uterus trying to heal?

If anyone wants me to share my experience of the surgery and any tips that may help, please do let me know and I can post a detailed reply here.

I'm just relieved it is over and done with after such a long wait.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can respond

Xx

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

How long did you have to wait for a sergury date once everything was discovered? I have a fibroid the size of a melon and am slowly becoming less mobile by the day. I can hardly walk. I look like a disabled duck waddling along. I am needing things like walls and door frames to help move around indoors. When I’m out and about I can hardly walk at all. I tend to drive as close to the shops as I can and then grab just what I need before I loose my balance. My legs feel like they just give way underneath me. Is it worth me using some form of walking aid to help me get around? 
    • Posted

HI m7447, 

I think the waiting time will depend on where you are located in the country. I'm in Glasgow, and once the Gynacologist and I decided that myomectomy was the best course for me, it took about 2 weeks to get a surgery date, and then 4 weeks wait for the surgery. I am not sure if this is the standard time for myomectomy, or if I was prioritised because my fibroids are 'huge' (technical term used by the gyny! wink ). You shouldn't be afraid to make enquiries with the hospital and make them aware of just how debilitating these fibroids are for you. .One thing I can recommend is to see your GP- if you have a good GP then they can push things along, and may have more of an influence as well as the right contact numbers. Mine was really pro active and when she saw the state I was in, she helped to move things along. Originally my first consultation (after the MRI etc in September) was not until February, so if I hadn't been persistently trying to get a closer appointment  then I would have been waiting for months (I also had an infection of the womb caused by the fibroids in November and a spell in hospital, which probably moved things along...). I really hope things move along quickly for you- if you want any more information about my experiences I'd be happy to help. All the best, Teaandbiccy.

• Posted

Hi,

I have one uterine fibroid measuring 8cm and my Ob suggested to remove it since I am far from menopausal stage. I am a bit scared. I already tried natural treatment but the size of the fibroid remains the same. and i really want to get rid of it. I don't feel any pain or bleeding at all, it's just that i feel like my tummy is becoming big. 

How many weeks is the recovery time after surgery? what are the do's and dont's after and before surgery? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

• Posted

Hi ana,

If you want to have your fibroid removed, getting it done sooner rather than later would be the best option, in my opinion. At 8cm, you will be able to have it removed laproscopically (only 2 small incisions and using a camera and other tools) versus an open incision (a lateral or horizontal incision about 5cm in length where they cut you open). 

Fibroids can obviously grow with time so if you put off your surgery it can get bigger and perhaps impede on fertility when/if you decide to start a family. 

I am currently 4-weeks post surgery and I had an open myomectomy. I have been off all this time but will be going back to work in a few days (I have a desk job so there is no lifting or straining involved in my work). Recovery time, from what i've read, for an open myomectomy is 4-6 weeks and laproscopic is 2-3 weeks (MUCH better!!). 

my suggestions to you are this:

DOs

- lots of research on what you are getting done

- if you haven't had children, do not let a surgeon tell you that you need a hysterectomy!! preserve your uterus!

- if your doctor says you need an open myomectomy I would strongly suggest you ask about it laproscopically! My understanding is that not all gynocologists perform this procedure, but do your research and find one that does!

- Eat healthy! You want to keep your bowels moving because if you become constipated you will be in a LOT of pain!!! Eat lots of greens and drink plenty of water!

DON'T

- Rush yourself after surgery, but don't sit around after either (this could cause blood clots in your legs!). Start walking the next day and build up your speed and duration day by day. 

That's all I can think of right now. I'm happy to share my experience with anyone!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.