Open prostate surgery is looking more and more likely

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello Everyone, If any one out there has had open prostate surgery for a huge prostate of over 200cc/grams with or without a large median lobe (I have a large median lobe) I would like to hear from you. I have not ruled out some of the lesser invasive treatments but it is looking less and less likely at this point. The doctor is almost certain I don't have prostate cancer. He will biopsy my prostate while in there.

What I am looking for is words of encouragement and hope. I am very vulnerable and just a little terrified. I am not a surgery kind of person. So, please, let me know how you did and how you recovered. NO HORROR STORIES PLEASE! Thanks.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Try PAE and ask for an opinion from someone who has done the most like Dr. Bagla who did mine. You may not have cancer if it’s just big and ur psa is high. He can look at your mri if you have one. It’s a much better option than surgery and you could always get that if this isn’t an option. 
  • Posted

Many Surgeons refuse to remove a Prostate in the UK if you do not have Cancer. Just waiting for mine to be removed due to Prostatitis, Urine infections and growing back again after last TURP, plus Cancer. Will be done Robotically.

Am like you and don't like surgery but have had too much misery over the years. Feel certain you can get sorted without invasive procedures.

Good luck

David

• Posted

My understanding is that he is not removing the prostate but he is taking out some of the”meat” inside. 
    • Posted

In that case it is not a prostatectomy which is the open surgery. 200grms is not to big for laser options but the large median lobe near the bladder neck usually leads to RE.
    • Posted

Derek, it is actually 263 g. They also have a very large medium lobe pushing into my bladder. He said he has to open the bladder and work on that median lobe. 

What does RE mean? 

• Posted

The doctor also said 1/3 of my bladder interior was occupied by my median lobe.  This was seen by cystoscopy 
    • Posted

RE is retrograde ejaculation ejaculation into the bladder rather than out of the penis.

I'm going to PM you something that I cannot post here.

• Posted

Hi. I had a 140cc prostate which is considered large. I had a HoLep which is well suited to a large prostate according to my excellent surgeon. The important thing is to find a really good surgeon so do you homework. I had my op done in Cambridge, UK. The only expected downside was RE which is almost inevitable to operate on a very large prostate. My op went 100%. Catheter out within a day. very little pain and most of the bleeding stopped with 1-2 days. Within a few days everything seemed normal i.e. no pain, high pee rate but well controlled with occasional minor leaking which stopped with a  week or so and is now, 2 years later, non-existent. I can avoid peeing if needed for hours but still evacuate completely. My sexual function was back to normal after the mandatory 4 week break; well all except the RE which is not a problem. So choose carefully both the op and the surgeon as there are good ones out there. BTW despite cameras, lights, macerators etc being fed up the penis I was amazed to find it normal size and hardly sore after the op.
    • Posted

Despite the horror stories that's the way it was for most of us having GL or Holep.

• Posted

RE doesn’t bother me at all. I pretty much have that now. At 68 who cares. I know it is important for some, just not me. 
  • Posted

Hello Gary,

I also have a 240gm prostate and am 69. The type of procedure that removes the entire prostate is called a radical prostatectomy which cuts the urethra and is mainly for cancer. For BPH it is called a simple prostatectomy which means that the prostate shell and urethra are left in tact and only the glandular tissue is removed. This can be done with an open surgery through the abdomen or by a robot which involves 5 small incisions above the belly button. The robotic SP is much more precise but requires a very skilled surgeon.

My urologist wanted to do a robotic SP on me 2 years ago but I opted instead to learn self-catherization (CIC) which I continue to do a few times each day. It is actually quite easy now for me. Also my bladder function has improved a lot due to CIC. Is this an option for you?

There is also another "simple" procedure called FLA which is offered in Houston and Florida. It involves precision lasering of the median lobe and excess gland tissue to remove the obstruction. It does not go through the urethra and has a quick recovery. It is a new procedure and not covered by insurance. Are you in the US?

Make sure you explore all your options before committing to one. Good luck.

Howard

• Posted

Not specifically - just huge side lobes that joined together and pushed up the bladder floor into the center of the bladder. At our size there isn't much distinction any longer between lobes as they all join together. Where do you live?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.