Open prostate surgery is looking more and more likely

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello Everyone, If any one out there has had open prostate surgery for a huge prostate of over 200cc/grams with or without a large median lobe (I have a large median lobe) I would like to hear from you. I have not ruled out some of the lesser invasive treatments but it is looking less and less likely at this point. The doctor is almost certain I don't have prostate cancer. He will biopsy my prostate while in there.

What I am looking for is words of encouragement and hope. I am very vulnerable and just a little terrified. I am not a surgery kind of person. So, please, let me know how you did and how you recovered. NO HORROR STORIES PLEASE! Thanks.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was 123 cc and had a PAE which was extremely successful.  It is a minor procedure and no surgery.  If you opt for a TURP or removal your die is cast for the rest of your life.  I would suggest starting with PAE or possibly FLA which if they don't work allow for more invasive procedures.  Both are so simple and quick.  Good luck.

• Posted

I also had PAE about 2 years ago but it had no effect on my BPH at all. But at least it did no harm either. I agree to start with PAE if available. It is hit or miss - some work great and others have no effect but at least there are no bad side effects.
    • Posted

Moot point. Had open surgery on May 2. Doing well. Getting wood, no incontinence, etc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.