Operation done...... Update

Posted , 7 users are following.

At last its been done...... Subacromial decompression/bicep tendoesis and rotator cuff..... 4 days on and very sore and painfull and in sling 24/7

Physio to follow in a few weeks.... wont be back at work for some time and then light duties only. 

Anyone know how long before full use of shoulder as i have a heavy manual job ?

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi David. I had this done 5 weeks 3 days ago. Still in sling day and night. Sorry to say my shoulder is still extremly painful. Started physio. Painful too. My physio has told me to up pain meds. I think this kind of op has a painful and slow recovery it seems. I too have a manual job so when I return it will have to be light duties. 
    • Posted

Hi Tracey.... I had the procedure last week so it's early days for me

Sling 24/7 is getting on my nerves already 

Physio doesn't sound much fun either ? I think this is going to be a long process

• Posted

I got one of those v shaped pillows to try and get comfortable at night. I normally sleep on my tummy so it's not that comfortable. I still wake a lot in the night due to the pain. Are you sleeping ok?
    • Posted

Not sleeping great ! Never give those pillows a thought..... I may invest in one. Anything to get some sleep....

what pain killers are you on Tracey ? 

• Posted

I was sent home from hospital with a bottle of morphine. My doctor then gave me codeine which I take with paracetamol regularly 
    • Posted

I had morphine in hospital and sent home with codeine paracetamol and ibruprofen plus I was already prescribed tramadol

• Posted

I read that you shouldn't take ibuprofen after having a tear repair. My doctor also said this
  • Posted

Hi I had the same op in April 2013. I had physio for four months. It took about 9 months to feel normal again.
  • Posted

Wow! I thought I had it rough. Had AC reconstruction surgery 16 days ago but pain most definately reducing daily. I know this is not the same as yours but I can absolutly sympathise with the 24/7 sling thing. I have been told 4 weeks followed by physio with a further 2 weeks in the sling at night (and if its sore). As Tracey said codeine and paracetamol seem to be the norm and have worked well for me and the pillow works brilliantly though I havn`t managed to sleep in a bed since I dislocated my AC joint. Good luck to you both, I really feel for you and I hope it works out for you.
  • Posted

I work in an office but couldn't return to work until 9 weeks after the operation. My Consultant told me that my recovery was above average!
    • Posted

Thats very quick Joanne.... i think it will be a bit longer for me
  • Posted

How are you doing David? I had a particularly painful day yesterday. A lot of codeine last night to help me sleep! Getting a little down about it now. 6 weeks today I had my op. Going on holiday in 10 days time. Had hoped I'd feel better than this. Hope you are recovering well? Tracey
    • Posted

Good morning Tracey..... 

I used to think my pain threshold was good but not any more. This is on another level isn't it ? being in a sling 24/7 is depressing in itself 

trying to put my arm in a sleeve takes forever too

im only one week in to this........

Where you going on hols ? It might be a good distraction and make you feel better?

David 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.