Operation Finally in Sight

Posted , 20 users are following.

My TKR has finally come on 20th September and I am quite scared.  It isn't having the op. it's afterwards although I do agree that it is up to me how quickly I can get going again.  I am not good with hospital and it is 2 years since the Consultant said it needed doing. I wasn't in a position to have it done then so I went on the list in May.  Just being a bit of a wuss really.  Wish me luck nice people, I'll be back when it's been done.

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you everyone for all the advice, I have taken it all on board for next week. One thing I want to ask is about the icing situation.  What dopeople ice with (obviously ice I know lol), but what sort of devices do people use as this is probably something I need to get. 
    • Posted

Hi Annette!

I used large family-size bags of frozen peas as icepacks. One under and one over top works good, and you can wrap them in towels to adjust the coldness to your liking.

A pricier option are the gel packs that are about a foot and a half in length and wrap around the knee.

During the first two weeks I was on blood thinner shots which caused me to feel very chilly pretty much all the time. Icing for me included the icepacks, towels, SEVERAL afghans and hot tea to help warm me up from the icing!

• Posted

Switch to Edamame...soy beans.  After they thaw, munch...pure protein.
  • Posted

Most places will send you home with a recirculating ice machine for 3 weeks.

After that,just use an ice pack.

• Posted

Hello there

Wishing you luck for 29th.

My operation is booked for 21st.

Like you. I'm worried about after the op.

I've read that this is one of the common operations.so they've had lots of experience.

• Posted

Hello everyone, thank you to everyone for the words of

encouragement but I am still here waiting for my TKR! I was

already to go down on 20th having arrived at 07.30, blood taken and forms filled in and at 12.00 noon the Registrar came and

said that the Consultant''s wife had been taken ill and gone to

another hospital and the Consultant had had to go and wouldn't be operating on me or anyone else. Time to go home and I am

now in limbo, not kowing anything. After all the nerves being

overcome, we are back where we started.

• Posted

Hi I hope your surgery went well. Please remember we all heal at different speeds there is no normal for this operation. Pain and depression are normal. It's ok you will get thru it. Stick with the pt and don't quit! You will get to a full recovery. God bless

• Posted

Hi Bobsled, I am still waiting for someone to tell me when I can actually go back in for my TKR.  I haven't had any notification or word from anyone and it is becoming uncomfortable because we are all in limbo.  I have a lot of different appoiontments coming up in late October and November which I have already changed in view of my original date of 20th September and I am getting very anxious now.  I am really stuck in limbo!

• Posted

Well I inally had my TKR on 11th October and I am not faring very well.  I still have all the dressing on until next week and start physio on Wednesday. One of my biggest problems is nerve pain which usually starts up in the evening. I am on morphine, paracetamol and ibuprofen.  I had a low blood count when I came out of hospital and have iron tablets but the other thing is how down I feel all the time.  I don't have any interest in anything.  I feel like it has ruined everything.  Has anyone else felt like that?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.