Operation Finally in Sight

Posted , 20 users are following.

My TKR has finally come on 20th September and I am quite scared.  It isn't having the op. it's afterwards although I do agree that it is up to me how quickly I can get going again.  I am not good with hospital and it is 2 years since the Consultant said it needed doing. I wasn't in a position to have it done then so I went on the list in May.  Just being a bit of a wuss really.  Wish me luck nice people, I'll be back when it's been done.

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Annette!

The keys to post op success seem to be good pain management, moving and stretching often throughout the day, getting as much rest as you can, drinking plenty of water to flush out toxins from anesthesia and pain meds, and having a good physical therapist who will work WITH you and understand you. Ice is important, but in my opinion elevating the legs helps even more. Compression stockings that go up the thighs help with swelling.

Staying positive and keeping busy will give you endorphins that help pain management.

Focus on small improvements. Treat yourself to naps as often as you can!

You can DO this! 💟

TKRs June and October 2015

Enjoying my garden and thankful I made the decision to get surgery. Excited to DANCE without severe pain at our son's wedding this Saturday!😁🙌😊😁🙌

• Posted

Hi Cheryl haven't been on here for a while glad you are still doing well hope you have a fantastic day at your sons wedding and enjoy your dancing .i went to the funfair on Monday with my daughter and 3 grandchildren was so nice to be able to walk around without the chronic pain now looking forward to my holiday in Portugal in 2 weeks time take care x

• Posted

Hi Sharon!

So happy to hear that you are doing well, too! 😊 It sure IS great to be out and about, doing normal things and being rid of that awful pain! Glad you had such a good time at the Fun Fair with your daughter and grandchildren!🙌😁😊😁🙌

Have an AWESOME time in Portugal! Isn't it GREAT to be able to focus on fun things instead of having pain hijack every moment?!!!

Thanks so much for the well-wishes for our son's upcoming wedding! 💟 Very excited about watching it unfold over the next several days! I'm happy to be able to stand and walk and DANCE without looking around for a chair to sit down on after just a few minutes!

Surgery DEFINITELY was a perfect option for me, and I am VERY grateful that I took the risk...TWICE!

Have a wonderful time in Portugal! Keep in touch!😊

• Posted

Hey Cheryl! How you doing? Not been around so much lately but when I have, I've not seen much from you - sounds like you pretty much got this thing nailed! Good to hear you and your positivity!!

• Posted

Hi Terri!

Good to hear from you!

Yes, I have been doing really well! SO GLAD I had my surgeries! Just a few weeks ago my husband and I went to a Hillary Clinton rally in Youngstown, Ohio and stood two hours before getting in, five MORE hours standing once we got INSIDE as we waited for Hillary to arrive from Pittsburgh, and then the additional hour during all the speeches! EIGHT HOURS STANDING!😱

Amazingly, my knees DID NOT HURT! My BACK was killing me, but my knees were GREAT! I thought how impossible standing even an hour would have been just a year ago.

At one point prior to surgery I thought about amputation and getting those Cheetah legs. Amazing athletes run MARATHONS with those legs! Just shows where constant pain can lead your head sometimes.

SO GRATEFUL I went to get the knee replacements!

How are YOU doing?

• Posted

Hi Annette, you'll be fine just remember to use the pain meds if needed I know in hospital the nursing staff were really on top of this... when you do get home remember to ice ice ice and elevate for swelling.  I know I had to do straightening exercises from day 1 in hospital which really helped and also to slowly slide my foot up the bed to get a bend.

Just remember that each of our journeys and recoveries are different and it does usually take a full 12-18+ mths for most.

I wish you all the best for your surgery and give Chico's main post a good read lots of info in it.  So wish I had of found this forum b4 my op and not 9mths later smile

Take care... Tracey

• Posted

Annette, I had both knees replaced at the same time, 22 months ago. Yes, recovery is a bit of a monster, and you will have to push yourself and may even have a pity party - I did once or twice. But in the long run, it was all worth it. Being able to walk and stand for long periods of time again without any of that horrible pain (I'd waited nearly 9 years for my surgery...because I was told I was too young). When things seem a little questionable, you know right where to go. Praying for a smooth recovery. In the meantime, I'm guessing they've got you strengthening your muscles. I wish someone had told me before hand about working on my core (stomach muscles) and arms as well as my quads. It will make your recovery easier if you have the upper body prepared.

-Mo

• Posted

Hi, think the messages on here pay pretty much all you can say. I wish someone had told me what to expect! I'd had a hip replacement 8 years ago and thought recovery would be similar. Wrong!! Just be prepared for major pain for the 1st 3 or 4 days, but you'll be in hospital probably for that period. Take all pain meds offered. Make sure your Gp is aware of your impending op and can write you up something suitable. When you get home, rest, elevate and ice, even if it seems that's all you do. Don't expect to sleep well. Nap when you can, I went back to bed in the afternoon. Do your exercises you've been given. Yes they'll hurt.

Expect to be in tears, I cried every day for 3 weeks!!

After 3 weeks you will start to feel a weeny bit better, and every day afterwards will see an improvement. I'm not quite 5 months and often forget I've had my knee done. And I'd have the other one done if necessary. Good luck

• Posted

Perfect, Lucie...

1. No one is prepared for the pain...period.

2. Take your meds...period.

3. Crying?  Post Operative Depression.  I was not prepared for that when I had my hip done.  Screwed me up until I found out what it was.  This is one thing you CAN prepare for even though you may not get it.

4. I'm 5 1/2 months out and I barely even think about my knee anymore.

"You've got to go through hell before you get to heaven." - Steve Miller Band, Jet Airliner

How true...

• Posted

I too was absolutely petrified, Not about the op but about the pain I had heard and read about.

Yes, the pain was bad but it would have helped if I had had the correct painkillers at first, Make sure you have  ready painkillers which work for you. Once I had the correct painkillers things were much easier. I'm nearly six   weeks post op and today I drove again for the first time.I went on the local market without crutches or a stick. Yes I still have pain and hobble about but I feel I'm becoming normal again.I must still take it easy but I'm getting there.

You will be fine, the pain gets better and it's all worth it in the end.

• Posted

I've been reading some of the replies and don't understand what all the pain is people are talking about. I'm in the United States and wonder if methods here make a difference. In post-op, I immediately felt definite pain, but the nurse very quickly made sure I had enough dalaudid in my IV. After that, as soon as I felt even a twinge of pain in the hospital or at home I was given or took my opiod as prescribed. I never ever experienced any severe pain. Talk to your surgeon before the operation to make sure the same will be true for you.

• Posted

Hi Joy, I'm in Austalia altho I didn't have a drip for pain but the hospital stayed on top of any pain all the time with oxy & endone .. and same when I went home for the following 3mths. 

Believe it or not our MRI's here are sent to the States and they make the tools for our surgeons to do the operation as every knee is different so new tools are made for every single op.  So we have to wait about 4-6wks from when the surgeon says yes to when we can actually be operated on just depends how long it takes to get the tools back from the States my op it took 4wks .. hoping it's the same for the next op when the surgeon gives the go ahead.

• Posted

I would guess that it's more dependent on the individual and the quality of medical facility and personnel rather than country.

I'm in the U.S. as well. My experience involved a great deal of pain because I guess I was an outlier and the staff didn't know how to handle it. I live on the near west side of Minneapolis and had my procedure done in a hospital that handles so many hips and knees that it has an entire floor devoted to them. And that's why I chose it. And my surgeon does hundreds of knees a year, which is why I chose him.

They had no idea how to handle my pain. I was great 12 hours after the surgery, but then the clot hit. My pain was incredible, and nothing worked except morphine, which caused wild hallucinations. They tried a block--didn't work. Dilautin, OxyContin, and oxycodone--didn't work. They kept pumping me with the stuff until I was completely whacky and seeing trees move and a wall full of spiders.

I couldn't take anti-inflammatories because if the clot and the blood thinner I was taking.

When I got home, the morphine made me so claustrophobic that I couldn't turn the lights off at night because I felt like I was being buried alive. I finally figured out on my own that Vicodin was the only pain med that would work.

Now, thanks to a pharmacist friend, I'm getting tremendous relief because she told me yesterday that if I took Prylosec, I'd be able to take Alleve to cut the inflammation. Today I'm a new man.

Sorry for the lengthy diatribe. My point is that I went to a quality facility with a lot of experience. My surgeon, his staff, and the hospital staff gave me zero help to battle the pain. As has been stated here many times, everyone has their own experience. The variables are many. Not sure that Kane's country is a significant one.

• Posted

Sorry for your trauma.  I had no idea!  I am surely blessed!
  • Posted

@joyful - nothing to do with being in the US. We are all different with different starting scenarios and different pain thresholds. Furtermore all the people who found it easy and had no problems or concerns don't tend to write to forums!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.