operation in 8 days, losing sleep!

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi all, im 44 and I'm going in to nuffield orthopeadic hospital in oxford to get my left hip done next Tuesday 25th for op Wednesday morning. I can't tell you how scared I am. Last time I was in hospital was the maternity unit in Fife 22 years ago. I'm very overweight,4 ish stone, due to my cerebral palsy (left leg only) and asthma so the odds stack up. I'd never thought about looking for a forum to chat to like minded people I've just been driving myself mad with all sorts of things. I haven't much family only a partner and son who must be sick of me by now. The surgeon says it's a regular op,but not for me it's not ! I'm Scared of all of it but mostly of the spinal aneasthetic and lately, dying, I don't know if im being silly. I'm thinking about writing letters to my family and contacting my financial companies like banks etc, incase, but I don't want to 'jinx things'. I've talked myself into a frenzy and don't feel my work colleagues are approachable either.I'm going crazy right now. How does everyone cope with such stress please.cry

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi angela, 

as you can see, you are not alone anymore ... warm welcome to this wonderful forum of hippies ...

I have nothing to add, darling ---- 

please don't take it personally, okay ... nobody can really understand what you are going through, only the ones who went through it or are about to ...

so come here any time if you have questions, concerns or just want to chat ...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Dear Angela , it's horrid feeling so worried and hard not to at times , especially while dealing with the chronic pain. I had mine done three weeks ago , previous replacement was at age 39. So please don't worry about your age, this operation will changed your life. I had epidural it was wonderful , went off to sleep and woke on the ward not believing it had been done. 

If it helps you write some letters , but then set them aside and don't re- look at them use it to help you cope. It's understandable you feeling nervous , hospital care teams are used to people feeling frightened I am sure you will get the support you need. All the very best Kay 

• Posted

Hi Angela, the others have said it all....

We were probably all worried, I know I was. On the way to the hospital I was telling my husband where all my financial stuff was... But you have to tell yourself, it's a really routine op, the spinal anaesthetic is great, and before you know it, it will all be over, and you can concentrate on getting better and improving your quality of life.

Wishing you all the best, Judith

• Posted

The wait is horrible, it is the very worst thing about this operation.

Nothing anyone says can really be of comfort, the fear you have is completely natural and normal and the good news is that once the operation is over, you will feel a huge sense of relief and elation. The fear for me was the worst thing about the entire experience. I was never scared of operations before, but this one was a different matter.

Please come on here and talk to us. We have all been through this, and we know just how you feel.

Take one day at a time, keep busy, get organised and try to keep reminding yourself that your life STARTS in eight days time....and it really does, you will soon be on the road to recovery.

• Posted

Angela

Well in my opinion you are going to a great hospital (well the food isn't great and you will no doubt discover that when you go to x-ray they wheel you through the main entrance) but the surgeons are first rate as are the nurses.

I was there 4 weeks ago for my first stage revision and am back, hopefully in 4 weeks for a new hip.

For most of us having a hip replaced turns out to be great. It's not quite the same as a natural hip but the pain goes and you will be able to get back to normal life.

I was in ward F so if you are there give them my love.

Hope you stop worrying and that it all goes well.

Mike

PS Everyone says the parking is terrible too. My wife didn't have too many problems though she did use a thing called justpark and they rent out peoples driveways for not much money in the area around the hospital. If your visitors are worried they could try that. But when you are dropped off there is a drop off area where you can park for 15 mins

• Posted

Thank you Micheal,all advice is welcome. Is it post at night as I couldn't sleep in milton keynes hospital for the racket the nurses made.

• Posted

Angela

My ward was reasonably quiet. The nurses don't make much noise. It's just a question of who you have in your room. I think most rooms have 4 beds though I was on a single room for a while.

But all being well you won't be spending too many nights in the hospital.

Good luck I'm sure it will go well.

Mike

• Posted

Hi Angela

It really is awful the worrying before the operation but honestly you will be fine. Once you are admitted, you should feel a little less nervous, the surgeons,nurses and anethetists are normally great and do appreciate your nervous, I was absolutely terrified but it was all over in a flash,I then thought,why on earth was I so worried. If you have any questions or worries ask away prior to the op,it may help.

It's an extremely safe procedure as is the spinal, very quick procedure putting a spinal in,ask for sedation if that's what you would like,I believe it's a light sleep where you won't remember anything.

Good luck, look forward to hearing from you on here,it will be over in no time.

Best wishes

Nicky

• Posted

Hi all well I did it.but Its so painful despite meds. I'm sure I can feel it when they turn me for the bed changes etc

Is this normal no one seems to be able to answer. It Hurts to use the leg support thing now I'm using blow up leg things for circulation.I like then they put me till sleep then the nurses wake me for BP! I feel a lot iof heavy pressure on my bum and hip and I can't lift my leg. I've t9ld the nurse again and sr8ll waiting for the head nurse to come. Still proud of myself though!

• Posted

Well done Angela! I hope you manage to get a bit of sleep, it's hard to start with. Make sure you take plenty of meds. Have everything they offer you. Wishing you a good recovery, Judith

• Posted

Well done!!! All the worrying is over and each day you will get better. Keep taking all recommended meds and talk to the staff about any aches/pains and they can help you. once youre moving theyll stop the blow up things. Someof the meds will make you sleepy but they have to check your BP regularly for now. Best to be safe.

Youve done really well! Keep us advised of your progress xx

• Posted

dear angela, 

how are you feeling today?   

You can be really proud of yourself darling ... this was big ..

I am sorry to hear about the pain you are in .. hopefully they adjusted your pain medication ... be vocal about it, okay - exaggerate if you need to ...

You migh have to get our of bed, supported by a physical therapist, walk around a bit, do some exercises and  perhaps sitting in a chair - 

are you full weight bearing ??

Don't try to lift your leg yet ... way too strenuous - 

come here anytime okay ... share with us how you are doing ..

maybe start a new discussion ...

there will be so many here who will benefit from your experience ...

big warm hug - sending light and healing

renee

• Posted

I had the surgery two weeks ago and yes hurting like that is completely normal and exactly what I remember.. I was just astounded at how much it hurt to use my leg lifter ..or try to bend my legs on the bed while lying.. even on full meds. Despite this the nurses asked me to do so and I could not believe how difficult it was. My catheter was out the second day so I had to make it to the bathroom myself for four days and also did very painful and difficult physio in hospital.Now I lift my leg in and out of bed without a lifter and without pain many many times a day... I go for many mini walks of ten minutes duration and do physio four times a day and I have no pain  whatsoever.. discomfort yes.. but nothing like what you are going though. SO....Don't worry ,you are totally completely normal. And you will be better so fast .. you will be amazed.

You did it.!.. it's all uphill from here... you are on the way to recovery and a better life.

The physio thinks I will be walking independently in about six weeks.....

• Posted

Angela,

Look at you girl.  

Oh yes those first few days, awful as they are you won't even be able to describe them in another month.  I never believed that but here I am at 3.5 weeks and I can't remember (for the most part).  Anyway things get much better once you get home to your own bed.  Once I was able to use an aid to lift my leg (why don't they do that i the hospitals) it was better and got better every single day.  Is it a battle, heck ya, and one worth winning.

You are already on the upside of this battle.

Can't wait to hear how things progress !!

You just earned your "hiipie" badge - welcome to the club

• Posted

Hi kebra

Thank you Physio made me stand with a frame and walk sideways a tiny bit to get further up the bed. I thought I was going to crumble to the floor as I felt as heavy as an elephant on my leg but I did it tomorrow might be easier .can't believe I'm real hippie now.I feel part of a team working harder than ever .

• Posted

Angela

Tomorrow WILL be better. But well done today, getting out of bed and moving is not easy the first few times you do it. And remember: deep breathing before the effort. It's surprising how much easier it is with a few deep breaths.

Mike

• Posted

Atta girl.. two weeks from now you will look back on this ... and you  won't believe this  but when you do go back and read it...... you will be just getting through a day with little pain... some restrictions and phsio.. but  lots of fun and freedom.. i promise...out for coffee or lunch or a small walk around to see the flowers and birds.. you will be incredibly grateful and happy and have new insight into what it must be like for old people as you navigate bathrooms without handicapped facilities and rugs.. they are all out there waiting for you..and you are going to love it.. write us in exactly two weeks and gloat away.. 

• Posted

eek LOL .... on old people and navigating bathrooms without handicapped facilities - low chairs in restaurants - couches at friend's house ... I went from yougn(-ish) to old in no time ... how about the lower shelfs in grocery stores ???  

just keep your sense of humor and you'll bounce back ... sort of

• Posted

well done Angela ... I remember how my leg felt like an alien appendix - but befre you know it , you feel attached to it again -- 

be gentle with your self, darling --- do your best whatever your best is at that time ... sometimes people (like well meaning physical therapist) can be a bit pushy and intimidating (I had one from hell in the hospital) - 

You are doing great .. 

angel blessings

• Posted

Hi Angela

Well done!  THe first few days are the hardest but once you are up and about, doing physio etc, it is amazing how things change.  The blow up legs are amazing for circulation.  Use the pain killers as much as required at first as they are there to help you through the worst,  You have to have BP checked regularly. Make sure you do as you are told, dont get ahead of where you should be at. Drink plenty of water.

Thinking of you and looking forward to hearing from you soon to say how much better you are.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.