operation in 8 days, losing sleep!

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi all, im 44 and I'm going in to nuffield orthopeadic hospital in oxford to get my left hip done next Tuesday 25th for op Wednesday morning. I can't tell you how scared I am. Last time I was in hospital was the maternity unit in Fife 22 years ago. I'm very overweight,4 ish stone, due to my cerebral palsy (left leg only) and asthma so the odds stack up. I'd never thought about looking for a forum to chat to like minded people I've just been driving myself mad with all sorts of things. I haven't much family only a partner and son who must be sick of me by now. The surgeon says it's a regular op,but not for me it's not ! I'm Scared of all of it but mostly of the spinal aneasthetic and lately, dying, I don't know if im being silly. I'm thinking about writing letters to my family and contacting my financial companies like banks etc, incase, but I don't want to 'jinx things'. I've talked myself into a frenzy and don't feel my work colleagues are approachable either.I'm going crazy right now. How does everyone cope with such stress please.cry

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well done. It's bound to be a bit sore for a while but you are in recovery now. With luck you should take a few steps today. I spoke to Anna, one of the physios yesterday. If you see her say hi from me.

Mike

• Posted

You are officially in the club now!  Don't worry about what is "normal" - every single person is their own journey. What is normal for you will be what it is. Just pay attention to what you are told to do, and ask questions - don't be nervous about saying something stupid because there is no stupid!

• Posted

Hi Angela ,

I work till Sunday and my operation was on Monday at 7 AM I keep my self ocupade, went out, read the book and try not to think about operation. Go out with friends, cinema and think positive all will be fine and you too. Do some shoping . I got epedurell anesthetic plus sedation I did not know what is happen in wake up on recovery room and all was fine.

Keep your self ocupaded.

Big hug and good luck Madla💗

• Posted

Oh my gosh that's just where I was almost 4 weeks ago. I went in to the orthopedic surgeon because of my left knee and left with an appointment to have my left hip replaced.

I was totally stressed out about the operation and now I'm in the middle of the night waking up thinking why did I do that? I see my doctor for the first time tomorrow. He miss measured for the apparatus and my leg is 2 inches longer and the right leg. I also have numbness in my left foot

I suggest that you make sure your surgeon does the operation early in the day. Mine was done at 3 o'clock in the afternoon, too late, he was probably Tired

So quiz him about how he does the measurement for the prosthesis. I did not note to ask these questions.

Actually this sounds like I'm trying to scare you but I'm not. Basically I came through that THR quite well. Instead of losing sleep, make a list of the things that you're concerned about and talk to your doctor about them

My left knee is the next on the agenda. By the way I am 74 years old and active

Good luck and Godspeed

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.