Operation this coming Tuesday

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm having open surgery on Tuesday to remove 11cm cyst, ovary and maybe the tube. (Still don't know what it is)

How long will I be under for?

Will I be able to sit up in bed after the op? 

What kind of things do I take into hosptail with me? Been told I'll be there a few days but maybe more. 

I'm not sure how much stuff to pack.

Also got told at my pre op yesterday I'll have these inflabable things on my feet and legs- anyone else had these??

I'll be on PCA machine of morphine and top up of any meds.

Is it worth me taking things to do? 

I don't know what to take 

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had both sides done and was under only about 45 mins. (everyone said my surgeon was fast!!) But I would guess on average no more than an hour, probably less if only one side.

With the beds being electric I found I liked sitting up a bit - not all the way... just a slight angle but also elevating my legs. You'll just play around with the bed till you get a comfy position. 

I slept alot - the pain meds knock you out. I brought all kinds of books and did not even look at one. I had one magazine (but make sure it's thin and light) IE I had a Vogue and it was too heavy to lift! You won't be able to hold it. 

I wish I had brought some snacks of my own because I hate the hospital food - would have been good to just have some easy things to eat when I got hungry - especially in the middle of the night! I didn't eat the first day after surgery other than jello and in the middle of the night I was starving..

Take slippers and robe! That's it. Wear loose track pants to the hospital and home, something loose on the waist. - size up.... I also bought underwear that were 1 size larger and high waisted so it didn't interfere with the incision area.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.

What did you have removed? We're you on a PCA machine? How long did you stay in hosptail? Sorry may already asked you these questions on a different post. 

Thanks for all your help! I'll just take a few things I got at home to do just incase I want too then at least I got a choice that way. 

Oh thanks for the comment about food! I didn't think about that- I was going to take bottled water in as I can't stand drinking tap water. 

I'm going for the op at 8.30am and he said I'll be out at 10am but wasn't sure if that was from the operation or recovery.... any idea?? Xx

• Posted

Out at 10am - I'm guessing recovery but you never know as each situation is different. I had both ovaries and tubes removed along with 2 cysts on my right side. 

2 nights in hospital....sorry, I don't know what a PCA machine is??

• Posted

Yeah that's true. I'll  ask my consultant when he comes to see me Tuesday morning. 

Oh sorry a PCA is a patient-controlled analgesia pump - which will have morphine in- so I can press a button every 5 mins or so to give myself morphine. 

Yeah thought it was about 2 nights. Had pre op and she said a few but maybe more. 

Did you have to have anything on your feet and legs after to do with blood clots ?? 

• Posted

No, I did not have a PCA Machine. I had an IV line in me and the nursed administered the morphine.

Also I did not have boots either - instead they gave me a heparin shot for blood clots every day.

They had me up walking the same day as the operation, in the afternoon. 

• Posted

Oh right 

I guess everyone's is diffrent 

What so they just gave you pain meds when you needed it? 

• Posted

Hi Holly, The inflatable cuffs you will have on to prevent blood clots, blow up gently and squeeze your feet ankles and lower legs. You’ll be so tired anyway after a ga, that you’ll keep dozing off, and they aren’t uncomfortable, though you might want to take some earplugs, mine were a bit noisy.

I would take an iPad or tablet in case you’re in a few days, it’s easier than trying to read a book, and you can then keep in touch with family and friends by email.

To be honest the first day you won’t  care, you’ll just want to rest.

• Posted

Hey, 

How long did you have them on for? Did you have the for the same operation?? 

Was told I'll be in at least a few days maybe even more. 

Will they get me out of bed the same day? Like said in my post I'll be in a PCA machine of morphine plus top up of meds too. So I'll be pretty out of it on those anyway. 

• Posted

No I had the same operation, but had the inflation bootees on when I had knee replacements, not when my cyst was removed.

I wasn’t got up the same day because I had a prolase op at the same time so had a pack and a catheter in, so wasn’t got up until the next day.

I went home the third day.

• Posted

Oh right. 

Does the booties cover the whole foot and lower leg? Never had them before. 

Were you on a PCA machine after cyst operation? 

I'm not sure if they will get me up same day if I'm on PCA machine as think I'm on that formfirst 24 hours x 

• Posted

Yes they wrap around your foot and lower leg.

Was on a PCA machine after knee ops, but didn’t use it, as I needed to get anaesthetic out of my system and wake up a bit more. I don’t think they’ll get you up until the next day.

I had ovary tube and cyst removed, and lots of adhesions, the cyst was wrapped around the ovary.

Dont worry, you will be given good pain relief if you need it.

• Posted

Oh ok I wasn't sure where it would go. 

I would of thought next day too

I'm trying not to worry but it's hard xx 

• Posted

Hi holly i am going to have my ovary and tube removed on monday and i am coming home the same day they are cutting me with 3 incension my doctor had already gave me my pain medication
    • Posted

Hey,

So your having keyhole?? 

Good luck! Let me know how you get on xxx

• Posted

I will i am so scared cause they started talking about cancer
    • Posted

Have you had blood test for tumors markers?? What have they said your cyst is? How old are you? 

So are they doing yours keyhole?? 

• Posted

I am 46 and they r doing keyholes and they ran all kinds of blood test. They said that there is something in the cysts but they don't know what it is it isn't blood fluid

• Posted

Sounds like your cyst has a soild part?? 

I am having the same issue - inside my cyst I have a soild part and they don't know what it is and even the cancer team who have seen my scans ect also can't say what my is apart from a cyst. 

Sounds like we are in the same situation. 

How big is your cyst? 

• Posted

Did they check your blood to see if u have cancer in you they said i don't but the cancer team is going to be in the operating room if i do have it in or around the ovary they are going to remove it. How old are u.

• Posted

Yes they done blood tests for tumor markers and normal bloods which mine came back all normal. 

I got the same I got the cancer team in my operation as well as my consultant surgeon - with my case it's that my scans (ultra sound, ct and MRI) were not clear enough to give them enough detail and information to say what my cyst is. My cyst of the soild part is thickened then the rest. 

They are saying for me that mine doesn't show any signs of cancer but no one can say what it is. will be tested afterwards. 

I am 23 years old. 

• Posted

Hi holly how did your surgery go is everything ok it is going on 2 weeks since i had mine done and i am still in pain
    • Posted

Hey, 

I will be two weeks on Tuesday. My op went well as it could. My cyst was attached to my bladder and to my womb, tubes were twisted all around ovary and badly scarred. 

I was in a lot of pain after op and ended up staying in 5 days. I become unwell post op with fast heart rate which I had to have a urgent heart scan. 

I had a bad time with a uti and I couldn't go so had to be discharged home with a catheter which I'm back at the hosptail now having it out and seeing if I can pee. 

I felt really ill after the op. 

How did yours go?? 

X

• Posted

Mine went ok i go tomorrow for my 2 week check up but i am still in pain

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.