Operations

Posted , 10 users are following.

Does anyone know or have heard when operations are looking to be re-instated?

1 like, 87 replies

87 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

My op was due 31st March and obviously cancelled and to be honest I'm glad in one way that it was, I'm on crutches after a hip fracture in 2016 so I'm quite used to being unable to walk anyway so whenever it's 100% safe from the virus risk I'm willing to wait.

Think it will definitely be a slow process getting the backlog moved on, I bet we will probably be a year behind.

Just let us go to our caravans and I will be happy ish 😂

Stay safe everyone

• Posted

Hi, good morning. without tempting fate, all is going well. Seems easier than last time, less pain and discomfort, managed to walk for 15 minutes last 3 days as the weather has picked up. Not a lot of trouble kipping, which is a bonus. dropping codeine down to morning and evening, only swelling is in the ankle, but I live in mosquito coast at the moment, due to the rain and heat, so I could have been bitten, I am susceptible. Looking forward to a nice cold proper drink once off the painkillers!!

had dressing checked, hoping they would remove it yesterday, told to keep the new one on 3 more days, never had this last time as no dressing, so cannot wait for my bath board shower on Thursday rather than the bloomin strip wash. Plus side, I can do Jack about my barnet situation, so that's under a scarf like most folks 🤣

Helen

• Posted

brilliant news that it's going well.

bonus sleeping well too. Thats so needed after the operation.

Bet your glad that hairdressers therefore opening soon 🤣 oh and pubs!!

so glad your doing so well, you always dread how a 2and one will be if you've had a good experience with the 1st one.

it's strange how different hospitals are. as soon as I got home I had a shower everyday and i suppose it does help I have a walk in shower. But still best feeling in world having a shower with no plasters on... not too long to wait now.

I spoke with my hospital today and they are hoping to start hip replacements with next few weeks, but will have to isolate 14 days before like you did, and said "however the virus still real in the hospital environment and prognosis poor for out patients," so that put my mind at ease... not 🙄

said I was near top of list, so dont know now how I feel... but will just see how feel when I get the call.

keep going, your doing great!

• Edited

Good news in Scotland too. Operations are starting up. Patients will have to isolate for 2 weeks before and after getting home. They are doing the pre Covid cancellations first but will be working flat out to get through the waiting list.

I called to make sure I'm up there on the list and it looks like I am. Hopefully, I will have the op done by the NHS and not have to pay. Private hospitals are still under contract to the NHS 'til mid July.

I have been prescribed Gabapentin but am now wondering if I should start taking it ?

• Posted

Gabaprentin helped me big time. so if In pain i would recommend.

I'm in pain at night so on co cocodamol 30g and naproxen as using up what i have but will be ringing my doctor asking to go back on gabapentin this week as naproxen nearly used up and helping but not as good as gabaprentin was..

Hope you get the call shortly, again keep us all posted.

• Edited

Thanks!!

I'm on co codamol and ibuprofen (Naproxen brought me out in a rash). I also have dihydrocodeine which I take when the pain is really bad. It doesn't really help much as I probably don't take it enough.

I collect the gabapentin this morning so I'll see how it goes.

• Edited

Hi, update at just over 3 weeks. Still seem to be doing ok, no real issues, only taking the odd paracetamol and my aspirin and omeprazole, stopped codeine after 8 days. Still using both crutches when outside as the weather is blinking awful, but I am happy with 2 sticks same as last time. No problem sleeping and no loss of appetite like with the first. only pain I have is a bit of bum discomfort when lying or sitting but I think it's just the internal bruising from the manipulation during the op. All the best

Helen

• Edited

Helen you have done so well and glad this experience like your 1st. I remember the internal bruising causing a little discomfort when sitting.

yep no rush with crutches, from what I hear the longer you use them helps reduce/stop and limping too.

so jealous but happy for you at the same time. fingers crossed you continue to recover with no issues and at a fast pace .

• Posted

Thanks!! Still good going, missed my walk today as the weather is poo, but do extra exercises to compensate. I tend to do all my stretching ones before I get up as I feel they help me move better first thing, Really surprised at how this one seems easier than last, wonder if the smaller incision on my right meant more internal pain. I only have a slight groin pulling pain and a niggle to the left side of my knee when walking, but with my right this pain in the knee was far worse, also it has not swelled at all compared with the right. Hey ho, aware it's compensation pain from trying to walk upright and heal toe, and I know it will pass. Happy weekend hippies

Helen

• Edited

I had an e mail from the consultant (private, as I'm desperate) saying that they are now permitted to recommence joint replacement surgery (at last). He has been allocated less theatre time than before so will obviously be seeing fewer cases.Of course, they will do previously cancelled operations as a priority BUT he has given me a potential date of 27 August.

The Scottish NHS hospitals have also been allowed to commence surgery, someone I know is having a knee replacement done this week.

• Posted

brilliant news. At least you have a date and something to focus on now.

I only asked in June about operations so feel I cannot ask again but they hoped would be starting up again soon but she said would have to isolate 2 weeks prior to op date and be tested for cover before operation.

my pain worse at night now and keeping me awake. I've not told work that I need another operation yet until I get the date. I don't understand though why I'm getting pain and less movement in this hip since other one operated on. its like one leg wants to run and the other now dragging me down...

you will have to keep us posted on what happens.

if you opted for gabaprentine, how have you got on with it?

• Edited

I know what you mean, I've been hassling the NHS hospital but just kept getting fobbed off.

I called the private hospital on Friday and got an e mail on Monday from the consultant. I'll have to isolate before and after surgery.

I haven't been sleeping well since January, it feels like painful restless leg syndrome. It really is awful.

I started the gabapentin and am now on 900mg per day. I can't say I feel any effects, good or bad, but, I think I might be sleeping a bit better.

I have retired so don't have that problem to worry about.

I do wonder if the "powers that be" understand what we're going through.

• Edited

Hello

I must be very lucky just missed out in March and now al being well I am booked in for total hip replacement 7th August so currently self isolating and on the NHS!!

• Posted

You are indeed lucky. Which health board and did you have a date for your op prior to lockdown ?

• Posted

ooh very lucky... bet your excited.

can i ask which hospital.

• Edited

Heatherwood part of Frimley in Surrey/Berkshire can not wait as the delay has meant the pain levels have escalated and I feel so tired and frustrated at the inability to do much at all

• Edited

ditto...

so envious of you both, but happy as well.

I just hope I hear something soon...

you'll both have to let us know of your progress.

• Edited

Just off the phone. I have a date of 13 August at the NHS hospital !!!! Luckily I haven't been out since Monday so my 14 days self isolation started on Tuesday. Covid test 48 hours before.

• Posted

o brilliant news and with the NHS

Cannot wait to see how you get on...

where do you do the covid test? do you still have to have pre op too and swabs taken?

• Posted

I had the pre op at the end of January and an update over the phone last week !!!!

I'll have the covid test 48 hours before the op. at a drive in centre in Edinburgh.Not sure about swabs.

• Posted

I see, when I had my pre op last year I had to have the op with 12 wks of the pre op and had swabs taken on my last consultation before pre op. strange how everyone is different.

well I keep hoping to find a letter behind door but nothing yet, hoping hear something before christmas though!!

at least I will be able to follow yours and Anna's stories...

• Edited

I don't think face to face pre ops are being done anywhere just now ? They asked lots of questions and had my GP records so knew if I had any problems. Even consultatons are being done over the phone or video.

I have had SARS and MRSA swabs done twice now but none since January.

I had an ECG, swabs and 5 blood tests done in my pre op at the end of January.

Strange times

• Posted

You are not having Mr Singer are you. He did mine at Heatherwood.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.