oral lichen planus

Posted , 78 users are following.

Hi I have just been diagnosed with oral lichen planus.

I have had a sore mouth for about six weeks now and have just seen my dentist and g.p.

I thought I would find out how mwny out there have this condition as I have never heard of it before.

3 likes, 214 replies

214 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I was daignosed with Oral Lichen Planus 2 years ago and I was discharged from the hospital consultant being told there was nothing else they could do for me.

Following on from this prognosis, I went on a strict gluten free diet and eventually the sores cleared up and now they only reappear occasionally when I inadvertently eat some gluten in error.

I thought this was worth sharing with any sufferers out there.

• Posted

I went gluten-free for several months and it didn't help at all. I guess we're all different. Tried paleo, veganism, etc., to no avail.

• Posted

I was daignosed with Oral Lichen Planus 2 years ago and I was discharged from the hospital consultant being told there was nothing else they could do for me.

Following on from this prognosis, I went on a strict gluten free diet and eventually the sores cleared up and now they only reappear occasionally when I inadvertently eat some gluten in error.

I thought this was worth sharing with any sufferers out there.

• Posted

Hi Fiona just wondered how your getting on I have this to andine was diagnosed after treatment for an abnormal smear test have you ever had that problem x

• Posted

oral lichen planus is a inflamatory disease.this disease usually show in women about 50-60 th..the etiologi is unknown, but some of the reaserch show that OLP caused because of stress, allergy reaction from dentamaterial, or allergy from medicine such as anti hipertension, anti malarria etc. OLP can be symtomatic and asymtomatic..my mom have the asymtomatic and my teacher ask my mom to consume vit.A 20.000iu for 2 weeks and reduce her stress. but i read about the symtomatic to use corticosteroid.i wish it'll help.

• Posted

Hello,

I absolutely agree Lichen Planus is related to Candida. Both my daughter and I were recently diagnosed with LP, and also determined to have candida overgrowth in our bodies due to exposure from a water leak in the laundry room.

The leak was fixed, mold cleaned - but it now in the HVAC system. So the expense continues. The oral blisters and sores and round lesions on face and nose first occured occurred during the period I didn't know about the water leak and mold growth in the basement. Now they occur whenever I turn on heat or AC.

I suggest anyone with the disease, take a close look at your workplace or environment. Any mold needs to be properly removed (borax in warm water is one of the best options to kill it permanently and then it needs to be scrubbed and vacuumed with a some type of HEPA system - bleach does will not kill it).

Also, suggest you have your doctor check your candida levels. It has yet to be proven, but I know they are related.

Curious question to sufferers - please respond to this if you have found any mold or water damage in your home, or if you get tested for candida overgrowth in your body.

Thank you and good luck to all!

Todd

• Posted

I was also diagnosed with OLP about 6 months ago after a visit to my dentist for a check up. I was referred to a maxilo facial clinic where they took a biopsy, which turned out negative. I was given a strong mouth numbing mouthwash & told to get on with it. When it didn't clear up I went back & was given Betamethasone tablets, which had a mild effect but hasn't cleared it up. I am struggling with a number of problems & this was unexpected, especially the "we can't do anything for you" diagnosis. Lots of my favourite food like curry, chilli, anything spicy. My tongue is so swollen I have difficulties swallowing like you all do. I have big lumps on my tongue & the metalic taste. Nothing tastes the way it used to.
    • Posted

You need an oral steroid mouth rinse. It's not cheap but, that's what you need. You may also after this period of time need a systemic steroid in pill fill. So that it's also working from within the body where this illness actually originates from. You need a Rheumatologist ASAP. In the meantime, have your Pharmicist order an older medicine called ST-37. It's safe, effective, and only about $9. Most people have never heard of it but, don't let that stop you.

It will lessen the pain, aid healing, and prevent any secondary infections from forming. It's just an oral rinse that you'd use like mouthwash to rinse, gargle, and spit out.

Won't sting like regular mouthwash and toothpaste. Let me know if it also helps you as it did me, so others will have the info.

• Posted

Not sure if this will help or not but here is my situation. I was diagnosed with LP 8 years ago and it is an uphill battle. I am fortunate that I do not have the oral variety but here is what I have found helps keep it under control for me. I started doing this regimen about 6 weeks ago and it has made a huge difference in controlling my LP.

I drink a lot of coffee and was using white sugar. Stopped using white sugar and switched to honey.

I try my best to avoid any vegetables that are connected to the nightshade family. So that means instead of ordinary potatoes switch to sweet potatoes(yams), they are really good with honey on them. No peppers, cut way down on tomatoes, no eggplant(no problem). Try and avoid the nightshade vege's.

I have also been sensitive to pasta, so I am no longer eating any pastas and have minimized the amount of grains that I eat.

However one of the biggest differences that has had a huge impact on the LP is the fact that I started taking coconut oil in pill form. I am currently taking 4 pills a day from the health food store and my skin, nails and the little hair I have left has never been in such good shape. The places where I have had the open sores from LP have smoothed over and oh it is so nice to not be constantly scratching. I still have the LP and I still get the itchies but they are so much much less that it is almost unbelievable.

When you start taking the coconut oil you will start noticing a difference after about 3 days. You will notice that your lips are really soft, you no longer need to put lip balm on because they are always moisturized. After about a week your entire sking will start to soften and you will notce the patches you have scratched are starting to flatten out.

Please try this and let me know if it is helpful or not. All I can report is that it sure helped me. By the way coconut oil is recognized as an all natural antibitioc, antifungal, and antiprarasitc oil.

• Posted

Thanks for this information. I was just diagnosed with LP. It is on my skin. I put coconut oil on my skin but did not know about the pills. I will get some tomorrow.
  • Posted

After taking a high dose of steroid for 25 days which didn't seem to help I have been told now that they would like me to take 200mg Hydroxychloroguine for my oral lichen planus.

I was wondering if any one else has taken this medication and did it work?

• Posted

It didn't help me...the AIP diet was the one thing that helped me improve. Was on serious meds from U of Mi Derm center, they didn't help!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.