oral lichen planus

Posted , 78 users are following.

Hi I have just been diagnosed with oral lichen planus.

I have had a sore mouth for about six weeks now and have just seen my dentist and g.p.

I thought I would find out how mwny out there have this condition as I have never heard of it before.

3 likes, 214 replies

214 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hi everybody, I was diagnosed with lichen planus over twenty years ago, and I was fortunate enough to find something that works for me, clears it up every time...its Homeopathy, and its called Arsenicum Album, every single time I have had a flare of lichen planus I take this treatment and it works...so I definitely urge people to give it a go....but do remember that we are all different and whilst it works for me it may not work for everyone..also recently, and for the first time, this problem moved down to my vagina, which believe me is not pleasant, and it cleared it up there as well.
    • Posted

I have been diagnosed with Lichen Planus in the vulva area including the vagina.  I am having a horrible time.  I was given a presctiption with steroid as a topical medication.  Can you apply the Arsenicum Album to this area.  I also have Hashimoto disease, hypothroid.  I've been looking into improving my ammune system.  Have you ever tried probiotics?
    • Posted

Hi Sandy, I take Ultimate care 50bill probotics, twice daily, you can get these on Amazon..the Arsenicum Album you take either in drops or small tablets, they work well for me with my oral lichen planus, and def helped below as well, so it might be worth trying too.
    • Posted

Hi

Do you take arsen alb just during a flare up or all the time? Glad to hear it works for you, hoping it will for me too.

Thanks

• Edited

Hi, I only use it during a flare, and usually three times a day for a week to ten days...I wouldnt recommend using it when not in a flare.

I have posted before that I believe Candida which causes oral and vaginal thrush is linked to oral lichen planus....obviously I am not a doctor, but before using the Arsen alb I would treat yourself to ensure you are free of this or the homeopathy will likely not work as well...Recently when I had OLP really bad  I used Nystatin oral treatment for thrush and Diflucan for vaginal thrush, then and only then did I use the Homeopathy treatment...actually to be honest I was surprised I did not get many people commenting on my old post, when here was one person who had it really bad, and got rid of it...I know it will flare up again at some point, but I know I can deal with it, and most people havnt any idea how to deal with this serious problem, and I have had it for over thirty years.

• Posted

I was just diagnosed with LP. I am going to look for this product. I live in the states so I will check out the health food store first. I feel bad for anyone dealing with this.
    • Posted

Hi, Quite honestly I don't know for sure, because I now have Lichen Sclerosus, and its a whole different ball game with that condition!  it can't hurt, but I can only really say for certain that Arsenicum Alb helped me with OLP, and that is mainly due to the fact that I have had OLP for so many years, which gave me time to figure out what works and what doesn't work.

With regards to Lichen schlerosus I was only diagnosed  last year, so I dont have a lot of experience with it, but what I can tell you is that if you want to keep this condition from flaring  its best not to eat too much sugar, go Gluten free if you feel you would like to give it a go..I am Gluten free, Dairy free, Coffee free, and it definitely does make a difference, but I can understand why some people don't want to go down that route, although I do think that if you have both conditions at the same time its worth trying this as clearly your body is telling you something.

• Posted

So sorry you have to now endure LS, you're right, it's a condition with a mind of its own. I had been gluten free since my diagnosis in January this year, but apparently I've had LS for many years. Going gf didn't really help, as I still get horrible flares regardless of what I eat. I hope we can find a cure soon. Thanks for replying smile
    • Posted

I started taking 5000 I.U. of vitamin D3 in the morning and 5000 I.U. vitamin D3 at night a week ago. I had read on another forum that people were much improved after being in a sunny climate on holiday and of another person stating theirs totally cleared after taking the vitamin D3.  The LS on my legs is gone!...no itch...no bumps! The oral lichen planus is my mouth is so much better...no more redness and no new lesions...has been getting better by the day. The LS in the private area is also much improved...itch has subsided and only using a little aloe vera gel once a day just to be on the safe side. Everything is not 100% yet, but I am very encouraged.  Hope some of you, if not all give this a go. I was already taking vitamin D3...but only a small amount...once I upped my dosage I started seeing results. Your doctor can run a test to see if you are vitamin D deficient.  But if you are not getting enough sunshine...you can bet you are.  Look up what a vitamin D deficiency can cause...two of the items are auto immune diseases and periodontal diseases.
    • Posted

Hi Renee, I agree Vitamin D is an important vitamin for people with auto immune disorders!! which is why I have been taking 5000 I.U of Vit D for months now as I also  have Ulcerative Colitis where low Vit D levels play a strong role in UC causation.

If there's one thing an individual can do on the preventative front (and this applies to most cancers and autoimmune diseases), it's maintaining proper D levels.

I think maybe its worth mentioning this on the Lichen Schlerosus forum too.

• Posted

Thank you so much for this, I do have a vit D deficiency, I just didn't associate the two! 
    • Posted

Another person on this forum said that it is important to add Vitamin K2, magnesium & calcium as the are important for the proper metabolizing of the vitamin D3. I researched these supplements and found her information substantiated by what I read.  I already have magnesium and feel that I get plenty of calcium, but did order the vitamin K2 (also MK7...is also very good).  I'm very excited for it to arrive (had to order it online).  I'm better each day...I've had this for so many years...I am just astounded by my progress in such a short time. So am very optimistic.
    • Posted

DearGuppy007,

Just officially diagnosed with olp, although I've suspected I have it for months. For years, I've dismissed my mouth and tongue pain as being associated with my ulcerative colitis. Then, I was diagnosed with a herpes simplex virus 2 flare up, after being celibate 35 years, plus I've been diagnosed with vitamin d deficiency. Starting to connect the dots. Thanks for your post.

• Posted

Sandy...there are some things that you can do that will help alot that are inexpensive.  I use witch hazel...one without alcohol in it in a spray bottle and spray the area after each bathroom break. Then I apply a small amount of 100% aloe vera gel. This gives great relief. At night I frequently  use a dab of organic coconut oil. It's solid but melts quickly at body temperature. These are natural things that are unlikely to have any nasty side effects. After about six months you can usually get by with less frequent applications.  Hope it works as well for you as it has for me. Good luck.

• Posted

I would search online. We aren't supposed to advertise any particular business...so if you put a search in online you will likely get some responses.

• Posted

Hi, Guppy,

Just noticed this.

I have ulcerative colitis too,

i am chronically ow on vit D an iron.

Thanks for the info

• Posted

Hi Guppy, do you think a dry Vagina has anything to do with the LS ? I have to go for my annual Gyn apt, I'm going to mention this to her. I'm using a Vaginal cream Premarin, I'm almost 55 and had Leukemia back in 2001, been in menopause ever since. Only now have I used the Vag cream I was tearing and would bleed . 😔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.