Oral Lichen Planus

Posted , 13 users are following.

As there hasn't been much activity on this site I am hoping that a solution has been found.  I was diagnosed with olp about six months ago. I had biopsies taken from cheek and tongue which were clear atm. I was prescribed predisnolone mouth rinse. It certainly helps but although the sensitivity in my mouth has decreased I am now shredding oral skin. Does this mean that the condition is waning?

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Brenda how old are you and who found your olp?  I am 56 but my dentist found it about 12 years ago I went for biopsies but I had no symptoms then. The last 12 month I have to watch what I eat certain foods burn my mouth even alcohol makes my skin burn, I also cough up this white stuff which drives me mad. Do you have any itching on your skin  and have you had any problems in the past with smear test, it's good to talk with somebody who knows just what this thing like, do you go for regular checks xx
    • Posted

Nice to meet you Karen, a like sufferer. I am 80 and last year had a series of major surgery. I had an enlarged kidney removed (non malignant and a colonoscopy. Whist recovering developed mouth ulcers and my doctor referred me to consultant who diagnosed olp. Apart from losing over 3 stone in weight through the surgery I have been unable to regain any of it due to the discomfort of eating. I was having regular checks but they now feel it unnecessary. It feels it more comfortable this past few weeks but my mouth is now peeling. I do have itchy skin but my GP thinks it is over sun exposure. I should add that I do drink alcohol and aslo chew nicorette gum!!  How are you coping?
    • Posted

Hello Brenda, I was diganosed with OLP and when i did some resurch on the web, i discovered that the very itchy area on my elbow was also LP...no doctor could figer this out! What really works for this is a product called 'Clearetone' which I bought online....hope this helps...(sorry for any spelling mistakes)
    • Posted

Hi rosajet just wondered how old you are And if you have any Other Problems. Have you had Problems in the past with abnormal smears ? X
    • Posted

Hello Karen, LP on my elbows, in my mouth, dreadfull sweat rash under my bust which i treat short term with canistan +h....had a york test and they surgested I may have candida, and intolerent to yeast....I am 56 with a full hysterectomy at 45 due to endometriosis
    • Posted

Hi Rosajet thanks for that, what is a York test? I have this awful thing in my mouth arms scalp and starting in cervix it drives me mad nothing seems to work I believe it's autoimmune, seems women are age after menopause start with this think it had something to do with the cells I had treatment after abnormal cells in cervix through hpv and that's when it started, thanks for chatting with me I think it helps a lot xx
    • Posted

Hi Karen, im Ros, a york test is a blood test that checks what you are intolerent to....I use to get bloated (and all the bad symptoms that are assosiated with that!) its about £230 but It has helped, look it up online..but as for what you are suffering with regarding your mouth only, the dentist sent me to hospital for a biopsy in my cheek and came back LP......thats when i figured what was wrong with elbows, but as for your cervix...im not sure, but if I was you I would talk to the dentist (mine was nhs) regarding your mouth, it may all be linked.
    • Posted

Thanks Ros   why can you not get this York test from your doctor, it was my dentist that sent me to the hospital for biopsy in cheek and that came back has LP and I was told they can't do anything about it, just mouthwashes but my dentist keeps his eye on it I go every 6 month but like you other itchiness I get I think it's all linked to LP x
    • Posted

Drs will not do it, my grandson has very bad ezcema all over his body and could not get this test done until he was 5 years old..then we had to fight for it, so I knew i stood no chance. 'cleartone' works wonders on my elbows.

• Posted

Hi Ros you would expect the doctor to do these tests it's ridiculous I went to my doctor with this itchiness on my arms and he gave me bloody e45 which has done nothing, what do you recommend ? X
  • Posted

Hi Brenda,

I am going to post exactly what I posted the other day........you may find this helpful, but remember everyone is different, and what works for one person may not work for another..

I was diagnosed with Oral Lichen Planus  many years ago, and I am happy to share with you how I manage it. 

I believe Oral lichen planus is closely linked to fungus, namely candida, and so I believe you need to eliminate the fungus before you can tackle the oral lichen planus.   What has worked well for me over the years is firstly treating myself with an over the counter one day pill for thrush, in conjunction with another product, an enzyme which I found online, its a dietary supplement which is an enzymatic remedy to treat the yeast infection candida.  Yeasts and fungi can flourish only as long as their cell walls remain intact. Studies show that the natural enzymes in this product dissolve these cell walls, and so this enzyme is a safe, gentle and effective approach to fungal overgrowth, and has no adverse impact on healthy probotics, it only eats the cell walls of the fungi, and that eliminates the thrush thus enabling me to start using Homeopathy...I then used Arsenicum album three times a day for a week, and have had good results from this whole procedure in the past.

The reason I took the time to write this is because whilst Lichen Schlerosus is a horrific and very serious condition, I happen to think Oral Lichen Planus can sometimes cause more stress and anguish as it is a horrific problem to have when it is severe....because at its worst there is no respite from it!!! as it unfortunately manifests itself in your mouth, and you are constantly aware of it!....every single minute of the day.  Your mouth constantly feels dry, woolly, and metallic and just horribly yuckky!... imagine having to go to work feeling like you have NOT brushed your teeth, that's how it feels, you feel dirty, and if and when the underside of your tongue is lined with deep ulcers life can seem bleak...

I have had Oral lichen planus twice this year, and have managed to send it into remission by following this procedure, and so I hope some find this helpful.  

• Posted

Thank you so much. When I was diagnosed it was something neither I or my family had ever heard of. I must admit I have suffered in silence since then preferring to eat on my own etc. My added problem is that I have dentures that no longer fit properly. I take note of your suggestions and am so pleased they have worked for you so far.
    • Posted

Hello, I have very bad bouts of OLP can you please tell which emzyne you purchased so I can use this with oral thrush tablet as well , as you surgested worked for you...im in dessperate pain...
    • Posted

send me a private message..I tried posting but I dont think its allowed for some daft reason.
    • Posted

Im not sure how to do that...sorry maybe its because you put a brand name.....I may try papaya emzyne?
    • Posted

Hi rosajet, I have sent you a privat message with the name of the product I used.

What I am annoyed about is the fact that we are forbidden to name or give links to people regarding products that have helped us......So I sent a private message to rosajet and guess what?  when I put in the link to the product that is forbidden too!!! what on earth is that all about?  Isnt this supposed to be a site to help people?  

• Posted

Hi guppy I would be interested in this too, after using it do the white cells still grow back in time xx
    • Posted

yes i mentioned a product that is great for my elbows, but its gone!

• Posted

Karen I am happy to PM you the product I used.  

Remember what works for one person may not work for another.

If you read my post above that should help, but I am not a doctor and I have posted what works for ME.   I do honestly believe it will work for  others, but not for everyone...I am free of oral lichen planus, and it was particularly hard to get rid of this time as my immune system is not what it should be (I have ulcerative colitis, another auto immune disorder)but I still managed it.  The key is diet, not too much sugar, as sugar is bad and can ultimately cause candida which I believe in turn opens the gateway for oral lichen planus...

I think for woman with really severe oral lichen planus they should consider trying a Gluten free diet.

• Posted

I think what happens is that unscrupulous people pop up every now and then and promote a product, their product!! claiming it works wonders, and of course its all rubbish and so those greedy individuals have made it difficult now for genuine folk to mention what work for them...its a shame, but just another example of the world we now live in when using the internet for support.
    • Posted

Hi - I know it was 12 months ago but just wondering what the name of the enzymatic remedy is that you use? I'm desperate for help. Thanks for the tips!
    • Posted

Doesn't time fly Heidi. I have almost forgotten that I was afflicted by OLP. I only used the prescribed steroid mouth rinse prednisolone and it did the job. So far I have had no recurrence. Just as an add on, not advisable, I also drink alcohol and chew nicorette gum. So don't allow it to control your life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.