Oral Lichen Planus

Posted , 13 users are following.

As there hasn't been much activity on this site I am hoping that a solution has been found.  I was diagnosed with olp about six months ago. I had biopsies taken from cheek and tongue which were clear atm. I was prescribed predisnolone mouth rinse. It certainly helps but although the sensitivity in my mouth has decreased I am now shredding oral skin. Does this mean that the condition is waning?

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you for that Brenda it is very true I feel like that every day going to work, I hope you are feeling better after such a big opp you are very brave, I live on my own with my daughter and am terrified this thing will give me cancer. I look in my mouth all the time to see if these white patches are changing and because I have this skin issue I feel it's all connected, I had precancerous in cervix 12 years ago through hpv virus and I notice since that it isn't the same did you have any problems with your smears Brenda xx
    • Posted

Please do not live in fear of the unknown Karen. Being concerned about our health is debilitating. My recent surgery biopsies both returned precancerous. So did the olp but none of us know the dangers that befront us day by day. So live for the day and please do not cast a shadow over your daughters life. xx 
    • Posted

I agree..I had the white lacy patches on the inside of my mouth on and off for years, and they looked fierce!! but honestly and truthfully I never ever worried about oral cancer, probably because statistically its very very rare and I really dont see the point in worrying about something that is statistically unlikely to happen...
    • Posted

Aww thank you Brenda  for your kind words  I am trying, my husband left me about 8 months ago for somebody at his work and I have been on anti depressants since then he's never been in touch with either of us it's lovely speaking to you and I wish you well thank you xxx
    • Posted

Although, naturally I am really touched by your circumstances Karen and do not really know how I would be under the circumstances. However, you still have a life and you owe it to yourself to enjoy it.

• Posted

Thank you 😘💕💕 Brenda take care and I will look forward to speaking to you soon Xxx
  • Posted

Hi Brenda just wondered how you are,hope you are well and avoiding the flu bug which everybody seems to have xxx
  • Posted

Hi Brenda, Seeing that you have received so many replies you must feel a bit comforted knowing that there are many who are in the same situation as you.

The stress from the ops may have triggered the OLP in you. The sloughing of the skin happens when you have OLP. The docs say its nothing in itself to worry about. Take extreme care about Oral hygeine. You have to keep it up day after day on a war footing. Avoid getting bacterial and fungal infections

Hopefully it will just pass as you have the prescribed meds to keep LP at bay

• Posted

Sorry to be weighing in so late. I was diagnosed with oral lichen planus about 25 years ago; first by my dentist and later by an ENT who did a biopsy of my cheeks. The ENT prescribed clobetasol. at first I had to use this medication very often. Then when it cleared up a little I used it only when the symptoms got really bad. Several years ago I started drinking apple cider vinegar, with mother, mixed with water two times a day. After several months my lichen planus completely disappeared. it was a miracle! Just every now and then I might have a very small flareup, but I put the Clobetasol on it overnight and it disappears. also, I believe this condition is aggravated by stress. I am not retired and have a lot less stress. I hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.