Oral Lichen planus

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have developed oral lichen planus on side of my tongue and both sides of cheek--have a feeling this was started when bit the side of my cheek and have had sharp tooth which has irritated my tongue--these have now been put right-- but mouth still affected by these lesions and my taste buds are badly affected--sharp items such as crisps or crispy chips or cereals do not help and make it more painful and hottish curries or such are no good either

Anyone else got these symptoms?

I would mention have also got ulcerative colitis which is under control but cannot eat a lot of fruit and certain vegetables!

So the answer is------????

Anyone got similar??

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Exact same symptoms as you. Mine got triggered after Hep C. vaccine. I'm indian so curries are my staple. I have noticed that right after eating something spicy if I eat something frozen like ice cream or just suck on ice it soothes the sores down immediately. My personal hack to eating spicy.

• Posted

HI Rita

Yes I like spicy food but it doesn't like me much--if I have it too hot my whole mouth feels on fire--crisps and sharpish items are difficult as well.

Gosh must be difficult if curries your staple diet

Have text from someone who says that he had all amalgam fillings replaced and it disappeared in weeks after 20 years--only problem is only developed LP last November--have had fillings for at least 20 years!!!

Am also bit of stresshead so that certainly doesnt help!!

• Posted

Do you by any chance have mercury amalgam fillings in your teeth? I had severe oral lichen planus in my cheeks and the sides of the tongue for more than 20 years, then read reports that in SOME cases it can be linked to amalgam fillings. My dentist changed all my fillings to resin and the OLP disappeared in weeks.

• Posted

My periodontist prescribed rinsing my mouth with dexamethasone when I flare up. It helps a lot. I also rinse out my mouth with a few drops of peppermint essential oil in water sometimes. 
  • Posted

Lesions, sores on cheeks & under tongue + burning for 10 months until diagnosis. Terrible! Rex swish has cleared w/i 1 week.

Stay with softer foods now. Scrambled eggs w cooked veggies, avocados, salmon & flaky fish, oatmeal & non acidic fruit.

Currently deleting dairy as a possible trigger.

ENT believes gut issues may be involved & prescribed something. I was drinking Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino daily. Caused dumping Syndrome.

Time will tell!

• Posted

Interesting you say gut issues involved--I have ulcerative colitis caused by stress and have heard that both those issues can cause LP--I take so many tablets a day that any of those could be causing it--am reading it could also be something to do with immune system--Still spose will have to live with it--my partner having hysterectomy next week so whatt am I moaning about

• Posted

Have read an Immunology Dermatologist or Immunnologist May be helpful. Using a dermatologist for now (2 weeks). Has me on plaquenil + Dex swish. 
  • Posted

Hi Richard,

Reading your post reminded me how much it sounded like my problem with olp. I was diagnosed with lichenoid mucositis (olp according to my ENT) a year and half ago. I have white plague like spots on my gums that grow and congregate together and just destroys the tissue. About a month ago, after quitting smoking using a patch, I started feeling tingling sensations on the side of my tongue and irritated the tongue. I had a sharp chipped molar and I thought that was the reason, but i have it fixed and the sensation still comes and goes. It got to a point where I couldnt talk without pain. It got better a little since the tooth fix, but I think it is OLP. I have no visible sores though. So I am dealing with gum and tongue issues so far. No medications yet, just nystatin occasionally for yeast infection. Apparently I also have low platelet count which they are investigating as we speak with more blood tests. This never stops! 

• Posted

Yes getting the same— tooth smooth now but still getting sore mouth especially with sharp food crisps etc and spicy food can light up my whole mouth

My taste buds worry me more than anything in that steak chips and fried onions suddenly lack in flavour- irritation!!!!

Any cure????—as have said immune system may have a lot to do with it— do have to take steroids at times

• Posted

Not sure if this can help, did you try antihistamines? I take antihistamine and it helps. Not sure it could all be in my mind but its worth a try. Let me know. I take Claritin D.
    • Posted

Actually get hayfever-worse than ever this year--so take benadryl tabs--double dose--not improved it so far--bonjela does help numb  but nothing like a cure

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.