ORLISTAT - First Day

Posted , 18 users are following.

After waiting since the end of April to get my prescription for Orlistat it finally arrived yesterday so I've started on my first day today.

I've previously taken Xenical which I know is the same thing just another name but I had side effects when taking it ie griping stomach pains. Can I ask if anyone else had these symptoms and if so what they did to eleviate them. I so need to lose weight as I need to have a hysterectomy but they wont do it until I've lost some weight, although I was never told how much. I am very much over weight so I would imagine its quite a lot. I have joined Slimming World so am already eating a low fat diet so I am hoping the Orlistat is going to help too as my weight losses so far have not been fantastic. However that's not the diets fault just a lack in my will power at times!!!

1 like, 50 replies

50 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Did you ask if supply in the future was going to be a problom?

Good luck I hope you manage to meet your goal.

Mike

• Posted

Hi there, I have been taking Orlistat since February and I have been lucky not to suffer any side effects but I did a lot of research online etc. and as far as I am aware, most people who suffer the side effects as you described are the ones who were not following the correct diet. Too much fat in your diet will cause you to have stomach pains and run to the loo! But if you have been following the low fat diet and still experience these problems, I would just stick with it and see if the simptoms persist as you may find they disappear as your body gets used to the tablets. Give it a couple of weeks and I'm sure you will be fine smile
  • Posted

Please can someone help me on what food I can eat as I'm struggling? Thank you. Xx
  • Posted

The side effects I experienced the last time I took them were simply griping pains, no running to the loo etc as I understand a lot of people have experienced. At the time I was following a pretty low fat diet so must have been eating the right kind of things. It was just that I would get the most awful belly ache at times.

So far today I have taken two of the three tablets I am suppossed to take a day with no side effects. I have had yogurt but have had either low fat or no fat and everything else has been low fat ie salad, chicken, fruit etc so fingers crossed!

• Posted

Firstly I would switch everything to the 'lighter version' for example your milk, bread and butter as this is where a lot of calories come from! I now have danish bread, flora light spread and skimmed milk.

This is just an example of what I eat on a typical day:

Have toast or special k cereal for breakfast with some fresh fruit.

A low fat sandwich for lunch with a serving of veg soup.

And for your main meal, personally I chose quorn as I'm a veggie, but you could have any sort of fillet (keep an eye on the fat content) and have it with loads of veg and a few boiled potatoes.

I do this every day and for the first time ever I have stuck with it. If you feel hungry between meals, snack on an apple or pear.

I have been doind this, along with the tablets, and since Feb have lost 4 stone.

Good luck smile

• Posted

Kazisindahouse, just see how you go, maybe give it a week or two and if you still have problems, go back to your doctor. It does say on the leaflet, some people have these side effects when they first start taking the tablets but they usually disappear. Don't worry, just stick with it for now and I'm sure your body will get used to it.
  • Posted

Wow that amazing honey. I'm just struggling on what to eat my doctor said these tablets don't work? Couldn't believe what he was saying to me. Xxx
  • Posted

Well they are supposed to stop your body from absorbing around 1/3 of the fat but you should still stick below 45 grams of fat per day. It works out at 15 grams per meal but I wouldnt have anywhere near that for breakfast and lunch. Just be sensible, and check labels at the supermarket and you will soon find healthier low fat alternatives to the food you enjoy. My weekly treat is a spaghetti Bolognese made with low fat quorn mince, but I swap half the pasta for veg instead!

The first couple of months I weighed everything and jotted it down to see just how many calories I was consuming and I would look over it and see if there was anything I could cut back on. I no longer write everything down but I still weigh food and keep a mental note. I have a limit of 300 cals for breakfast, 400 for lunch and 500 for my main meal. That's just my way of doing it, I know its not for everybody!

• Posted

Hi Kaz, and all :-)

Would love to join in if you don't mind!

I started on Orlistat last year and stuck with it (exercising an iron will I didn't know I possessed!) for about 3 months, losing almost 2 stone. Unfortunately I then got rather poorly with an MS relapse and was signed off work for almost 4 months - sat at home feeling poorly and depressed, didn't go back and get my repeat... and yep, put back on the 2 I'd lost and another 2 on top :-(

Finally went back to the GP in February to beg to be allowed to try again - script happily handed over, but only managed to get it filled yesterday!

So I'm trying again, with about 6 stone to lose instead of about 4... but determined not to self-destruct this time.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi there Tibbles, it must be hard, especially when you have medical problems etc but good luck to you and I hope you stick with it smile
  • Posted

My tip for what your eating is to have your dinners, breakfast, lunch etc is to have it on a sandwhich plate and think of airline sized meals.

Worked for me and without excersize I was loosing 4 to 5 llbs a month.

We also worked out that if we have Porride (Scotts Original ) made with Green top milk you managed to get through to lunchtime without raiding the bicuits.

Mike

• Posted

I have polycystic ovaries so I find it hard to lose it. I just need to do what I did before cos I lost 4 stone. But, I piled it all back on having a baby and I've got health problems too. I'm always hungry when trying to diet that's why I always relapse.

Xxxx

• Posted

i got orlistat finaly was waiting since feb the chemist was morrisons was told they got it overseas was a long backlog of prescriptions the box gone was also told no problem in america so why are manufactors saying cant get a ingredient ? lot of rubbish i have been saying all along want u to buy substitute alli rubbish n 40 quid a pop think we should write a review about there so called company in the papers i also read a injection is on its way to break up fat was in papers and on the net
  • Posted

i got orlistat finaly was waiting since feb the chemist was morrisons was told they got it overseas was a long backlog of prescriptions the box gone was also told no problem in america so why are manufactors saying cant get a ingredient ? lot of rubbish i have been saying all along want u to buy substitute alli rubbish n 40 quid a pop think we should write a review about there so called company in the papers i also read a injection is on its way to break up fat was in papers and on the net
  • Posted

Hi everyone

Well day one over and done with and "touch wood" no side effects that I can really speak about. I had a bit of a grumbly stomach in the middle of the night but then again we did have quite a rich spag bol for tea although it was low fat so it could have been that.

It interesting reading everyones comments since I posted yesterday. I am really hoping that we can keep this conversation going as I would be interested to see how other people get on using Orlistat. It would be very interesting to see what kinds of foods people are eating since starting to use Orlistat and what changes that have had to make to their eating habits if any. I am already on a low fat diet as I said earlier as I am currently attending a SW group but I am wondering if there any changes I will need to make to this diet. I know I am enjoying my current diet as I have never eaten do much!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.