ORLISTAT - First Day

Posted , 18 users are following.

After waiting since the end of April to get my prescription for Orlistat it finally arrived yesterday so I've started on my first day today.

I've previously taken Xenical which I know is the same thing just another name but I had side effects when taking it ie griping stomach pains. Can I ask if anyone else had these symptoms and if so what they did to eleviate them. I so need to lose weight as I need to have a hysterectomy but they wont do it until I've lost some weight, although I was never told how much. I am very much over weight so I would imagine its quite a lot. I have joined Slimming World so am already eating a low fat diet so I am hoping the Orlistat is going to help too as my weight losses so far have not been fantastic. However that's not the diets fault just a lack in my will power at times!!!

1 like, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi I have a prescription sitting in my kitchen for orilstat, can you please tell me which chemist filled the prescriptiion as I am desperarte to get started.

With Thanks Jinx

• Posted

Hey Kaz, how're you doing? Hope you're getting on well!

Jinx, I finally got my script filled at Boots (Feb to July wait). Hope you find somewhere who can help you soon!

• Posted

Hi there

Must confess to being a little scared of continueing with the Orlistat as I had grumbly stomach pains again. Plus I have had a lot of "personal issues" to contend with this week so haven't been eating a good diet. Its been a case of grab what I can when I can! So I think I used the excuse of not eating properly as an excuse to not take the orlistat.

However I went back to my slimming club this week (lost 1lb this week) and have renewed vigour to lose this weight "whatever" Which means going back to the Orlistat and giving it another go. Having read several posts other than this one about Orlistat I think I need to feel that I am one of the lucky ones who has managed to get their prescription filled and should be making use of it especially when there are people who are committed to wanting to take it and cant get it!

• Posted

Hi kazisindahouse

If you are at all concerned/worried go back and see your doctor.

Mike

• Posted

Hi Oldbluser

It's not so much that I am worried it was just that I think I used my eating habits at the time as an excuse as I do know that I am worried of experiencing the side effects even if I eat a low fat diet.

I had, and as suggested earlier in the discussion, swapped over to low fat as part of my new diet but I still dont like the idea of the side effect. Plus that first day in the early hours of the morning I had a grumbly stomach but as was again pointed out to me there can be side effects similar to these in the beginning which wear off, I think its just the "thought of"

Kaz

• Posted

Hiya Kaz :-)

Overcoming emotional eating is a real uphill struggle, isn't it? I do feel for you as I'm exactly the same - in the past I've been able to find a myriad of excuses for not exercising within my capabilities, or not eating properly, or just having a bit of this 'cos I'm tired, or a bit of that 'cos I'm upset, or a bit of the other because it's ok, I can start again tomorrow... and then I wonder why I'm not having any success!

What worked for me when I successfully took orlistat last year - and what I'm doing again now (as well as really upping my water intake to 1.5-2 litres a day) is just choosing things to make up a balanced diet that are less than 5% fat per 100g. So cheese (and I loooooooooooooooove cheese) gets swapped for extra light Philadelphia. That way I can have a sizeable blob on my jacket spud and not feel deprived. Low fat yoghurt, skimmed milk, low fat spread (new favourite is Lurpak lightest), small portions of complex carbs like rice and pasta, tuna, tomato based sauces, quorn etc. Whenever I shop now, if it's for me to eat, and it's more than 5% fat, it doesn't go in the basket. This is where the iron will comes in!

By sticking to this principle, I didn't have a single nasty side effect in the 3 months I took orlistat last year, and haven't so far this time.

I'm having to be iron-willed again as I've had to be out for dinner 3 nights in a row in my first week; two meals at friends' houses, and one curry night! If I hadn't been on the pills I would definitely have thought oh, s*d it, I'll be good again next week and stuffed my face - but by actually taking them it forces me to make sensible choices. I just had a little of everything offered for the main course (meat and pasta/veg/salad) and asked for fruit for pudding instead of the homemade fresh cream cakes, and at the curry house, didn't have poppadoms or nan, and just had a prawn/veg starter as my main course. I tend to make a joke out of things - one of my friends expressed surprise that I wasn't diving into the pud and said 'don't you like fresh cream cakes?' so I said I adored them - but so does my bottom! It feels like they're pleased that I'm doing something to try to help myself as we all want our friends to be happy, don't we? I'm clearly overweight, can't miss me at 16 stone, I'm afraid :-( so by being honest that I'm taking something to help me, and that means being extremely careful about what I eat, it helps me stick to it and I feel quietly encouraged and supported.

Heavens, what a ramble! I'll shut up now - keep posting and let us know how you're doing :-) x

• Posted

Hey Tibbles, was just reading you're post, it seems like you've got a good system going on there with regards to what foods you are choosing etc. I was wondering what excercise regime do you have, if any? Also, do you go for monthly weigh ins with your doctor? I find that helps me a lot, knowing I have to get on the scales in front of somebody has really helped me stay on track!
  • Posted

Hi Leah :-)

I don't have much of an exercise regime, really - a combination of working full time, young family and MS means that it's the last thing I feel like doing at the end of the day! Although they're all valid reasons why it's difficult, I do now recognise that it's just another excuse not to get off my bum...

There are things I can do which I might be able to cope with so I've just joined a local gym and am about to start doing some gentle low impact classes (aquafit etc.) 2/3 times a week and see how I get on. The main problem is that after I've walked for 20 yards, I lose all the feeling (but strangely not the strength) in my legs - not helpful, and embarrassing when I fall on my face! But it's all part of the general overhaul so I'll give it my best shot.

Yes, monthly weigh ins with GP... I haven't had one since February, when I got this prescription, but think I'll go on Monday if I can just to let them know I'm back on them, and see if I can get another couple of months' stock in case of further shortages! Interestingly when I weighed at home last Thursday (when I got the pills) I was exactly the same as I had been at that GP weigh in in Feb, so at least my starting point is the same!

How are you getting on? You've had incredible success, congratulations - are you still taking them now?

Tibbles :-) x

• Posted

Yeah, I've been taking them since Feb. When there was the trouble with the shortage I only took one tablet a day with my main meal so the box lasted me much longer until I was able to get them again. I have heard some people say that they have been losing weight at a steady rate just with the tablets alone and no exercise but on the other hand I read somewhere that the dieting will only stop us gaining weight and its the exercise that burns off the fat that we have already got. With so much conflicting information I am really interested to hear other people's stories. I'm not brave enough to do a month with no exercise and rely on dieting alone!

Personally I do 1 hour of exercise per day, one evening I do an hour on the exercise bike which I bought cheaply on eBay. I quite enjoy it as I sit and read a magazine from front to back and that's the only time I get chance to do that! On the other morning I do an hour of various exercises aimed at toning hips and thighs, I've thrown in a few activities of my own aswell like running up and down the stairs. Doing that along with the very low fat diet and tablets I have been losing between 7 and 10 pounds per month. My doctor keeps warning me that the closer you get to your goal weight, the harder it becomes to lose those extra pounds but so far I've been ok doing this smile

• Posted

Just reading the postings from the pair of you makes me wish I had you're commitment. Tibbles you hit the nail on the head with the emotional eating bit, which I had not actually seen as that but you are so true!

I started as well as using the tablets at a gym attached to my GP's surgery but I have problems with arthritus and was in so much pain for days after just after an hours worth of exercise that I didnt want to do it again. I have been doing some extra walking, had a lovely stroll on Sunday afternoon, just over 3 miles, but I think I need to up my game there too.

I think I just need to revisit the reasons why I am doing this, my health and a life and that should kick things back into gear!!!

• Posted

I had tried dieting before and Weight watchers and lost a few pounds here and there but always managed to put it back on. I used to do an hour at the gym and then come home and reward myself with a take away pizza, crazy I know! Since having my third daughter 2 years ago I have been hovering between 15 and 16 stone but it was around christmas time this year that I finally just snapped and decided something had to be done. I think it was when even my own two kids had started making cheeky comments about my weight! You do need the determination to succeed with the weight loss and also to keep it off. It's hard breaking old habits but you need to see healthy sensible eating as a way of life, rather than a diet. Of course you should allow yourself some small treats though, in moderation. Try a different approach, if you hit your target at the end of the month treat yourself to something non food related for example a new outfit or a manicure or haircut or whatever. And if for any reason you don't hit your own target don't be disheartened and give in, just try again and make a few more cut backs or reduce your portion sizes. There is something to suit everybody, its just finding it!
  • Posted

Dig deep, Kaz - seriously, if I can find these reserves of will power then I reckon you can too - I am a serious flake! :-)

Leah is quit right - and this is what I'm discovering now - this isn't just another diet which I know I'm going to fail ('cos let's face it, I've tried 'em all...) this is just an adjusted way of living and fuelling the body. I don't 'need' to snack on the hour every hour, I just like to. I do 'need' to eat a sensible meal at an appropriate time.

I take a number of meds, most of which have weight gain as the main side effect. When I was put on the most recent one, Gabapentin, I asked one of my closet friends (a consultant) if they would make me fat. He just looked me in the eye, squeezed my hand and said 'darling girl, medication doesn't make you fat. Food makes you fat'.

So stick with it - I'd love to have a couple of buddies to nail this with, if you like?

• Posted

Um, just to clarify, my friend is not in the closet ;-)
  • Posted

Hi,

Kaz

I got the impression that you started at the Gym/excersie and went all out with far to much time spent in the beginning.

You are much better to start little and build up over months not days this way your body will be able to keep up with you.

Sit down and write yourself an excersie plan that is kind to you, your not an olympic (probobly get prosecuted for using that word) athelete. Gentle and often is the way to go.

Mike

• Posted

I got my prescription today after plucking up the courage to go to my GP only to find I can't get orilstat anywhere please help does anyone know where I can get them from I live in lincolnshire have read alli is the same??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.