ORLISTAT - First Day

Posted , 18 users are following.

After waiting since the end of April to get my prescription for Orlistat it finally arrived yesterday so I've started on my first day today.

I've previously taken Xenical which I know is the same thing just another name but I had side effects when taking it ie griping stomach pains. Can I ask if anyone else had these symptoms and if so what they did to eleviate them. I so need to lose weight as I need to have a hysterectomy but they wont do it until I've lost some weight, although I was never told how much. I am very much over weight so I would imagine its quite a lot. I have joined Slimming World so am already eating a low fat diet so I am hoping the Orlistat is going to help too as my weight losses so far have not been fantastic. However that's not the diets fault just a lack in my will power at times!!!

1 like, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi there I'm new here does anyone know any were in Nottingham that have orlistat 😊
  • Posted

Hi, just started taking these 3 days ago and wondering how you are gettng on?

So far my only side effecgt is smelly wind. I haven't been to the loo any more than usual. Does this mean the tablets are not working?

• Posted

Hey hippychick, are you following any type of specific diet plan at the moment? Sounds like the tablets are working hence the wind! It should settle down soon as long as you keep to a low fat diet. smile
  • Posted

Yes follwing a low fat diet, drinking green tea and eating an apple after main meal. Lost 3lb first week, was hoping for more but a loss is a loss i suppose smile
  • Posted

Wow 3lb in 1 week, that's great! Just think if you continued to lose it at that rate you would be losing 12lb (nearly a stone) a month. Keep it up smile
  • Posted

Hi everyone

Just a quick update on my using Orlistat, or not as the case may be!!

I really have tried to take them but even when eating a low or no fat diet I find I am having griping pains in my stomach when taking them. I feel really disheartened as I waited so long for darn things too!

• Posted

Hi Kaz :-)

You must be disheartened, I understand. But does it really mean you have to give up? I've just had a look at the list of possible side effects and 'abdominal pain/discomfort' is second on the list of very common side effects, affecting more than 1 in 10 patients.

There are loads of medications which can help with abdominal cramps - Buscopan over the counter, or countless which can be prescribed - would you consider going back to your GP to ask for something to help to take alongside the Orlistat, rather than letting this opportunity slip through your fingers?

I so want you to succeed - apparently it can take around 6 weeks for your system to get used to new medication and any side effects to wear off. We're only a couple of weeks in, so if you can ask for something to help with the griping pain, think how much happier you'll be in another month's time if you get on the scales and you're down a few more pounds. Read your first post back and remember why you need to do this!

Cheerleader rah rah over... ;-)

xx

• Posted

No Pain No gain

I dont mean to be flipant but your body is going to object but I am sure things will settle down.

If you are worried please go and see your doctor. Although some of us have experienced taking Orlistat and experienced some of its side effects we are not experts so always see your doctor if you are at all concerned they wont mind that is what they are there for.

Good luck Mike

• Posted

Does anyone know what the average weight loss is per week while using orlistat? Im following the weight watchers pro points diet and using herbalife meal shakes from www.bestbody.pro they work out at 2 pro points per shake and leave me feeling fuller for longer, I have loads more energy and find I dont use all my daily pro points allowance. With the shakes from bestbody Ive lost 9lb, 2% body fat and 18cm in size from my chest waist and hips and I achieved all that in 2 weeks with no exercise, I have just started orlistat and intend to exercise to continue my success, Im 14st and want to get down to 10st asap (5ft6) so just wondered how much weight people were loosing per week?
  • Posted

Hi Vic.

Because I am disabled I am unable to do any form of excersizing but I am loosing around 4 to 5 llbs a month.

I noticed your remark about feeling fuller longer, for that I use Porridge and it works a treat. I have Porridge for breakfast around 8 am and that gets me through to lunchtime 12.30 - 1pm where I have soup with bread and that gets me through to dinner around 6pm . I dont really have anything different in what I have always eaten in the way of food but what I have done is cut the portions down to what I call airline food size.

I still have the odd plain biscuit and it seems to work. The snacking and meal size soon become your habit of choice.

Good luck Mike

• Posted

Hey there, I can't say for definate what the average weight loss is per week as it depends on your diet and excercise regime etc. but from what you posted I'd say you're off to a pretty good start! When I was nearly 16 stone I was losing between 7 and 10 pounds per month, which was great. But now I'm down to just under 11 stone I'm lucky to lose 2 pounds per month! The slimmer you get the harder it gets!

Good luck smile

• Posted

Leah, you will have to stop soon or you will dissapear. Well done on losing all that weight. 16 stone ! I dream of 16 stone.

Mike

• Posted

Reading this thread has really helped me! I'm starting tomorrow, and I'm nervous/excited/ready/not ready. I'm also seeing a counselor who specializes in emotional eating and compulsive overeating, though I can't get an appointment until July.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, everyone. These replies are from months ago, so if anyone's still around, throw me a good thought if you please!

• Posted

Hi all, I enjoyed reading this thread as its given me great perspectives from others. I started orlistat on Monday this week (although Ive been on them before a long time ago) and Ive lost 2lb in 5 days.

Im 13st 11lb now and 5'4" My goal is only to lose a stone but if more comes off then great. I think for me (having previously had side effects from the tablets!) its the fear of the side effects that keeps me on a low fat diet. I eat quite healthily anyway and have a varied diet but it was the portion sizes and snacking in between that wasnt helping me. I exercise in the way of walking with the buggy every single day and that makes a huge difference.

Good luck to everyone.

• Posted

Rachel: Sounds like you and I are quite similar in our eating habits and reasons for taking Orlistat. I'm on week 3 now, and doing well. The side effects have really been scaring me. Well, the potential of side effects. So far, I've been totally fine. In fact, so totally fine, that I thought they weren't working, so I pushed it by eating a fatty meal. They work.

I'm starting to see a counselor next week who deals with eating disorders, so slowly hammering away at the reasons behind it all and some plans for improvement. Onwards!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.