Orlistat...if you don't go, does it not work?

Posted , 39 users are following.

Hi all

I'm new to Orlisat. My first day. But I have a question I forgot to ask my GP.

I'm eating a lower fat intake anyway to support the weight loss...but, if I don't get the \"oily stool\" does that mean it's not working?

I had two slices of toast before...each were 0.7g of fat. So there WAS fat in them...but I've not seen any changes in my stool.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, does it take up to a third out of ANY amount of fat?

2 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I was wondering should you lose weight each week last week I exercised twice as hard and ate low fat and dint lose anything I was gutted as in two weeks I lost 8lb please help xxx
    • Posted

Hi

Probably the high initial weight loss evening out is all.

I try to go for consistent loss of 1lb per week so as to avoid the highs and lows - I keep my diet so that I am consistently full and have an even glycaemic load (plenty of fibre and 10 - 15 g of fat every meal with none in between) seems to work well enough - will probably continue to work once I'm off the tablets so not seeing the mas a miracle cure or anything just an aid to retrain my brain into healthy eating.

• Posted

I am new to Orlistat and have been taking it properly from this week as last week I was out and about on holiday and didn't want to look for a loo during a three hour road trip. On am ordinary day I generally get quite loose stools anyway of I eat anything too fatty and always go in the morning. Now that I have started Orlistat it has no d's gotten event worse depending on what I eat. I have a small breakfast bar for breakfast and generally have a healthy lunch which sometimes co sides of meal replacement shakes. I noticed that a few days ago I decided to eat a brownie with my lunch and for the entire evening I was running to the loo, I event had to make an emergency stop at a cafe on my way home...i am starting to watcht I eat more but still tend to get an urge on my way to work and so far have made it and not had any accidents.. I assume the effects will eventually subside as I stick to my diet? My bowls get cranky on a normal day so am hopi g Orlistat won't add to that too much. I also decided to weight myself and have lost about half a kilo in the last few days so I suppose I just need to wait and see. It's good to see here though that the main side effects seem to go away if you eat properly so hopefully mine will calm down soon...i drive an hour to work and up to an hour and a half back and I really don't want an accident in the car...

• Posted

Hi

I think it sounds as though you are taking too little fibre - you need to bulk your meals - go brown bread, brown rice, brown pasta etc.

I find plenty of salad and veggies with meals helps a lot.

• Posted

Hi Ginger, I'm taking it too, and am having the same issue. I think it's because I'm at a weight loss plateau. My opinion is that your body is confused, so it's holding onto the fat. Ride through it, keep doing what you're doing and your body will come to terms with what you're trying to do, and finally start letting go of the fat. That's what's happening to me. About 2 weeks I work my butt off, and didn't lose an ounce. Now? It's finally letting go of it. Do get disheartened. You're learning a new, better way of life.

• Posted

Hi

I find that the closer I get to the recommended amount per meal of 15g of fat the better the tablets work.

You can actually eat too little fat and your body does one of two things 1) it goes into starvation mode and your metabolism slows or 2) you become hungry and irritable as the carbs don't fill you up enough.

I worked it out and at 9 calories per gram of fat and 45g per day over three meals you can afford to eat approx. 150 more calories a day than your resting metabolic rate and maintain your weight on Orlistat - if you want to lose you only need to restrict by 350 calories a day instead of the normal 500 as the Orlistat does the rest - in this way it helps your weight loss as it basically guarantees a 1lb per week without you feeling overly restricted in your diet.

If you eat too little fat the Orlistat is useless.

I found that my breakfast was too low in fat and this caused me to be hungry before lunch. By increasing my fat intake at breakfast it kept me feeling fuller and less likely to snack. For instance I made myself put low fat margarine on my crumpets instead of just jam, I also had cereal with unsweetened almond milk, it sounds a lot but I do believe in eating like a king at breakfast and a mouse at tea. The more you can pack in early the less hungry you are later and it avoids post evening meal snacking.

If your toast is only weighing in at 1.4g of fat you need spread (either low fat margarine or a scraping of real butter or Philadelphia or something, I even use a scraping of peanut butter and still stay within the allowance which really does fill you up). 

High fibre is also good. This reduces your carb spike and evens out your glycaemic load. I always go brown - bread, pasta, rice etc.

Apart from giving your diet a little nudge Orlistat is really only intended as a diet retraining tool for those who struggle to maintain a healthy diet.

• Posted

EVERYONE: I need help. I've been taking this for a week and I'm embarrassed to say that I've continued eating fatty foods. The reason? I'm not having ANY oily stools. I poo each morning and there hasn't been ANY change. 

I've taken this medication in the past (and after an accident or two) forced myself to stop the fatty foods. 

I can't understand why I'm not responding this time. 

Just to really test it yesterday, I had fast food AND ice cream. 

I know this is only a tool and weight loss and they should be following a strict diet, however why am I taking this pill if it's not going to do anything for me. Any insight anyone has would be greatly appreciated. 

THANK YOU!!

• Posted

I started my tablets 2 days ago now and the morring I hade a banana and lunch I hade a low fat aplen bar n tea I had fish n veg rice I dont now if im eTing the right things no change in movements how long do they take to start working
  • Posted

Hi I'm new to orlistat and it's my third day. I've had a little oily stools. I'm finding it difficult to know what type of food I can eat on a daily basis for breakfast lunch or dinner. I have this tablet mainly twice a day as I eat twice a day like a proper meal. I know snacks like popcorn, rice cakes and fat free yogurt are good. But I feel even with low fat cheese even if you sprinkle a light amount on your toast there's some oily trace in your stool. Does that mean I'm doing this all wrong and nothing is working?

• Posted

i lost 1 stone 11 pounds in 5 weeks taking orlistat and had no symptoms whatsoever

• Posted

hi,

i have just started taking orlistat and i dont need to go. just the regular need to go to the bathroom but no oily stools

i am staying in my calorie defecit and not eating a lot of fat. Does this mean its working and i will loose weight even tho i am not having oily poos.

TIA

• Posted

so i just started orlistat on the 17th and ive already dropped 3lb.. ive been eating super low fat foods, 3 times a day and low fat snacks in between but no oragne stools, , cramps or gas??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.