Osteopenia. Further scan after 3 years?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Nearly three years ago, after a DEXA scan, I was told I had osteopenia.  I had requested the DEXA scan because my Vitamin D level was extremely low and I believe my mother had osteoporosis - she broke her arm after a simple fall when in her sixties.  The consultant wrote to my GP and told him that I was to have another scan in 3/4 years.  Just wondering if it would be best to have the scan in a few months, or wait until 2019.  I wasn't given any medication three years ago, but have been taking a Vitamin D supplement regularly.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi.i was also diagnosed with osteopenia about 6 months ago. Told it was early stages. My first dexa scan despite having a full hysterectomy 12 years ago! Taking bone/calcium supplements and hoping for the best!
    • Posted

Hi Jacqueline.  I only obtained a DEXA scan because of a lovely gastroenterologist I was seeing at the time.  He discovered that my Vitamin D levels were very low and referred me to have a scan.  Before that, I had asked my GP about it, citing my mother's fracture, but, I didn't fit the criteria, which is very strict, so, when it showed the diagnosis I felt justified in pushing for it.  I hope your supplements result in an improvement at your next scan.  Take care.

• Posted

I'd like to see you taking a bit more in the way of supplements and obtaining some of the necessary nutrients for bone health through your diet.  Do you do weight bearing exercise?  Can be a simple as walking.  

You can get some of the nourishment you need from common foods like yoghurt, prunes, leafy green vegetables.  You do need to supplement Vitamin K2 (not K1 which is in your leafy greens) and make sure you are getting adequate calcium and magnesium.

• Posted

Thank you Anhaga.  I only take Vitamin D, but, will definitely add K2 to this.  I've been trying to do the 'Active 10', i.e. 10 minutes brisk walking a day, but I have bursitis in both hips and they're really painful at the moment, so haven't done it for a few weeks.  Walking exacerbates the bursitis.  However, I'm going to see what else I can do.

• Posted

Anhaga

Have you had a follow up scan yet? I can't get one until 2018. I've just had 2 xrays my femure and hips seem ok but I've sustained two wedge fractures of the lumbar L3 & L4 . Dont know how they happened.

I only take supplements not any busphonates. Magnesium, calcium vit D and vit K2. Prunes. Fruit & veg.

I'm told they will take 8/12 weeks to heal.

Any thoughts on this would help. Or are there any mire supplements we should be taking?

Thank you.

• Posted

I had two scans, one year apart.  They tried to cancel the second one on me but I showed up anyway and got it.  I'm not eligible for another for another three to five years from the second.  The first scan was -2, the second -1.6, done on same machine with very careful attention by the technician to get me into exactly the same position.  I think if you're eating a well  balanced diet heavy on vegetables like leafy greens and low in animal protein (get some of your protein from plant sources) you should be doing well.  Fermented foods are supposed to be good, defire, yoghurt and some cheeses all better sources of calcium than liquid milk.  I recommend you take up exercises like Nordic walking and tai chi as soon as you are able.  These will help your balance and strengthen your body generally.  Nordic walking will help you maintain an upright posture, strengthening the upper body in particular, and tai chi is excellent at improving and maintaining a good sense of balance.  A physiotherapist should be able to give you guidance regarding exercises which will strengthen the muscles which support your spine, as well as suggestions how to protect your spine in day to day life through the way you move.  

All the best.

• Posted

sorry, not defire - kefir!
    • Posted

Don't worry about the "brisk" if your hips are bothering you.  Be gentle with yourself.  Consider Nordic walking as the poles will give you a bit of support as well as strengthening your upper body.  Can you see a physiotherapist regarding some exercises to help with the bursitis?

• Posted

Thank you Anhaga.

It would appear we are all doing our best to mitigate the slow erosion of our bones by taking good supplements, food and exercise. Until the pharmaceuticals come up with something better than what they currently offer, I'm staying away from them.

Does anyone on here have really good news to share with us?

Thanks all.

• Posted

Well my good news is that the followup scan results mean no one is telling me to take medication any more.  😊

• Posted

My good news is that with the results from the followup scan medication is no longer recommended. 😊

• Posted

I was diagnosed with osteoporosis 5 years ago following a DEXA scan. I was prescribed Alendronic Acid and calcium/ vitamin D supplements which I took religiously. Last year I asked my GP for a repeat scan and he said that he expected that I would have improved, but unfortunately I had further bone loss. I wish I had followed it up sooner. I now take Raloxifen instead of the Alendronic Acid, and I will have a further scan to see if things have improved. I have been very ill and not able to get as much exercise as I would have liked this year, but I was walking several miles a day between the first two scans so I hope things have not got worse.

I would urge you to make sure you get retested to be sure your treatment is working. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you, Susan.  After reading your post, I think I'm definitely going to see about getting another scan done in 2018.  Sorry to hear that you've been so ill and hope that things have improved for you.

• Posted

Some people with osteopenia and osteoporosis were found to be lacking in magnesium. So that is good to have as well. Vitamin K2 is the big one as it aims the calcium onto the bones. Things like bone broth, skins of cucumber and a diet containing fruit and vegetables and others suggested by Anhaga all help support bone health. 

All the best.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, Kathleen.  I'll be getting some Vitamin K2 and will also look into magnesium as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.