Osteopenia. Further scan after 3 years?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Nearly three years ago, after a DEXA scan, I was told I had osteopenia.  I had requested the DEXA scan because my Vitamin D level was extremely low and I believe my mother had osteoporosis - she broke her arm after a simple fall when in her sixties.  The consultant wrote to my GP and told him that I was to have another scan in 3/4 years.  Just wondering if it would be best to have the scan in a few months, or wait until 2019.  I wasn't given any medication three years ago, but have been taking a Vitamin D supplement regularly.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have Coeliac disease and get a dexa scan every two years. I believe this is the norm now, biennially. I'd go for it as soon as. Bones change quite slowly but I think two years is long enough to make a difference.

• Posted

Hi Philip,

Where in the world are you? I am in UK and I was told it's every 3 years, but that was when I was first diagnosed 5 years ago. My GP suggested I might be able to get a further scan soon to see if the Raloxifen has helped. If it hasn't done he is suggesting that I may need regular injections/infusions to prevent further fractures.

If it is now accepted in this country that you should have scans every 2 years, that would be good to know. I have several other conditions and sometimes I just don't feel like complaining about all of them, so I let osteoporosis fall off the end of my list, but I know that a hip fractures could change my life.

• Posted

I'm in Derbyshire, Susan but I can't vouch for other areas. You know what a lottery the NHS can be in this country?

• Posted

Of course it may also depend on your disease(s) as to how quickly they think your bones may degrade. If my bones get back to 'normal', whatever that is for a 63 yr old, they may lengthen the time between scans.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I am on Merseyside and I know what you mean about postcode lottery. I attend two different pain clinics for separate conditions, and it's quite a rigmarole getting agreement to fund treatments. I am going to see my GP this week and will see if he's willing to refer me for another scan. He has been very good, but sometimes I think the bureaucracy can overwhelm him, so it's good to go armed with information!

• Posted

Hello Cheetah, I have osteopenia and, because my mother had very severe osteoporosis, I have a DEXA scan every 2 years.  That way I keep a very close eye on any improvement or worsening of the condition.  All the best,  Stefania

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.