Osteoporosis diagnosis What to do?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Ive just been diagnosed with osteoporosis. Im not sure the exact numbers but my gp wants me to start with a biphosphonate drug. A little background...Im 56 and have had 2 fall in 2 years. First one, fell on ice and fractured vertebrae at T12 and broke both wrists. Last one, last fall my ankle went off curb covered with leaves and I broke my elbow and my foot, thus a dexascan was ordered. I have done alot of research on the biphosphonates and I dont want to take them. I have alot of dental work that needs to be done and I know that could affect healing. Six years ago when I was diagnosed with osteopenia I was put on Boniva. I took it for 3 months and started having problems with my jaw. Dr told me to stop and my jaw actually locked up and I had to have a surgical procedure on it. I am relatively healthy, 5'9" 165 and I would like to ramp up my weight bearing exercise, along with healthy eating and supplements. Am I naive to think I can improve my bone health naturally without taking what seems to me poison. Thoughts please

Vickie

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It would be helpful for you to know your exact t-score because then at least you will know where you stand.  I had a lot of trouble finding out what mine were, but eventually I did, and having been told by my doctor I had osteoporoasis and the score actually showed low bone mass (osteopenia) I was much relieved.

It sounds to me as though use of osteoporosis drugs are contraindicated in your case.  The good news is that there are lots of things you can do to help improve bone density.  I will private message you my account of my own "osteoporosis journey".

I hope it will give you some ideas and inspiration.  

• Posted

Hi, just realized all these posts were in my spam, sorry guys! Hey I have my T scores Lower Spine -2.9, Hip -2.8, Femoral Neck -2.9. Anything over -2.75 is considered osteoporosis according to my Dr. I dont think this warrants the meds. I do need to get some vitamin K, dont know how much to take. This forum is a godsend. Thank you!
    • Posted

Yes I think you are in range of being able to turn things around with exercise and nutrition!  
  • Posted

The fact that you had a bad reaction already to a drug and biphosphonates are worse as far as side effects are concerned. I would hesitate too.

Although I have not broken any bones my tscores are bad especially the back which is -4.3. I baulked at taking the drugs which I do not regret.

You must find out your tscores and so far you have only had osteopenia which does not warrant any meds. Read everything on here which will give you a lot of information.

Take your time making your decision until you are happy with it. 

All the best.

• Posted

Hi Kathleen, I noticed you said your score was -4.3 is this your t score? Mine was -3.6. Had a scan do to a fracture. After reading all the side effects of meds. I'm not taking them. I have been taking calcium for years and vitamin D. I started doing some exercises, taking vitamin K and other supplements. Like to know if you can share more information on bone health. I'm glad I found this forum.

• Posted

There are foods too that are helpful as well as the supplements. Bone broth, avocados, leafy greens, cucumbers, prunes and an round good diet. Grass fed meats if you can get them and I add these deliberately as they are labelled here in Australia. Walking is great as it is weight bearing. Maybe some weights too and they do not have to be huge. I do have dairy. I have yoghurt every day, cheese some days and milk in my tea and porridge.

our cows graze here in Aus.

We are eating a lot of vegetables, salad ones for lunch and five or more different ones for dinner.

• Posted

I was only diagnosed last week with a poor -4.6 lumbar spine on scan. I'm 60 always been under 9 stone. I was given alendronic acid but haven't taken it and want to do it naturally too. Found this forum reassuring. Have started to take k2, calcium and d3 and hope to exercise and eat healthier. Although probably won't know for some time if it's working

• Posted

Hi Vickie,  Just to add another opinion here.

Firstly, like Kathleen and Anhaga mentioned, you should push to find out your exact Dexa scan t-scores as they are on the scan report which would have been sent to your doctor. Next, as this is where I differ from my 2 friends here, my reading is as follows: 

You are youthful 56 and relatively healthy. BUT 6 years ago (age 50) you were diagnosed with  osteopenia, and your condition has not remained stable - you  have broken 2 vertebrae, 2 wrists, an elbow and a foot - all in the past 24 months.

I think that first of all  you require careful evaluation as to the cause of your OP and, I think most doctors would think that with these bone breaks that you need treatment. Of course vitamins, diet, and exercise etc. can only do good but, in my opinion, may not be adequate alone to prevent further fractures. Talk to your doctor again, tell him your concerns about taking bisphosphonates and remind him of your problems with Boniva. There are other medications.

Above all don't panic about all this - you could have been diagnosed with many conditions which are much worse. OP is treatable,  there is lots you can do to help yourself and life can be great again. 

Kind regards,  J

• Posted

Good points.  Although so far there aren't any "safe" OP meds, unfortunately.  On the other hand I understand that by limiting their use to only two years one can minimize risk of serious side effects and gain most of whatever benefit they are designed to offer.  smile

• Posted

Hi there, unfortunately I don't believe that there are actually  any " safe" medications, period.  But risks  are relative. For me anyway, exercising carefully, eating really well, taking various vitamins and supplements and perhaps increasing my bone density a little but still continuing to fracture is not good. . . 

Your idea of 2-year only use of bisphosphonates is a good one - but may not be suitable for Vickie, given her past experience. 

Perhaps discovering and then (hopefully) correcting the cause of her OP may  go some way to solve the problem?? But meds. may still be needed.

J

• Posted

I personally would rather crumbleinto dust than risk the meds - I hope I haven't come across as supporting their use?  I just try not to be too dogmatic in my statement - do have a tendency to sound that way so maybe I've bent over backwards a little too far here!

• Posted

No you're not dogmatic Anhaga and your opinions and experience  are just as important as anyone elses. I hope I'm not either.  But, re. the OP meds., (as you know) I'm the other half of your argument  - I believe that with significant OP, when the risk of fracture is greater than the risk of drug side-effects, the choice is obvious. I know I may well be in the minnority but I just thought that Vickie might like another view. . . 

Kind regards, and you sound in great form.  J

• Posted

If you Google doctor goodman, he has written some interesting reports on k2 and magnesium and there benefits
    • Posted

Hi Juno...how are you? Good to hear from you as we need alternative views so people can be fully informed. 

The interesting thing about all the drugs not just for osteoporosis is that some are more necessary than others. I do take some for diabetes and crohns for a start but I baulked at the ones for osteoporosis. 

Swallowing was a deterrent for me. Teeth was another consideration. 

Osteoporosis is not my biggest concern as you suggested there are worse things.

My sister has tried a few of the drugs with awful consequences.

I am glad you are happy with your choice and I always love to hear from you.

Be well.

• Posted

I agree that sometimes there's no choice but to take a medication despite its reputation!  I had self diagnosed polymyalgia months before a doctor did, but when I saw the treatment was with steroids I dismissed the idea, thinking I couldn't possibly have anything needing such serious medication.  Believe me, the day a doctor gave me a prescription for prednisone I stopped at the pharmacy on my way home, and took it the moment I got in the door.  Side effects be damned! 

• Posted

Lovely to hear from you too Kathleen. However, I'm not sure I inform anyone really as I  just talk about my own situation and, because of it, my views are somewhat  different to yours and Anhaga's.. . But maybe not that different. For those just within the OP t-score range, with no fractures I think Anhaga's approach should be given a try.  But for those with moderate OP (with fractures) or severe OP t'-scores (even without fractures)  the Big Decision must be  seriously considered. And, of course, there are those who will 'consider' and decide not to be treated with meds. That's fine also. 

See, in my old age maybe I'm becoming more flexible !!! 

Kind regards, J

• Posted

I watched a you tube video by Dr goodman, he's really quite convincing. I got some magnesium today so will take it with the k2, calcium and vitamin d. Also joined a walking group. Perhaps people think I'm foolish not to take the meds and I am fearful of another fracture but I really want to give it a go

• Posted

You are more flexible and so am I lol. It must be an individual decision. Although my tscores are bad especially for the back I had a gut reaction not to risk the drugs. All the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.