Osteoporosis diagnosis What to do?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Ive just been diagnosed with osteoporosis. Im not sure the exact numbers but my gp wants me to start with a biphosphonate drug. A little background...Im 56 and have had 2 fall in 2 years. First one, fell on ice and fractured vertebrae at T12 and broke both wrists. Last one, last fall my ankle went off curb covered with leaves and I broke my elbow and my foot, thus a dexascan was ordered. I have done alot of research on the biphosphonates and I dont want to take them. I have alot of dental work that needs to be done and I know that could affect healing. Six years ago when I was diagnosed with osteopenia I was put on Boniva. I took it for 3 months and started having problems with my jaw. Dr told me to stop and my jaw actually locked up and I had to have a surgical procedure on it. I am relatively healthy, 5'9" 165 and I would like to ramp up my weight bearing exercise, along with healthy eating and supplements. Am I naive to think I can improve my bone health naturally without taking what seems to me poison. Thoughts please

Vickie

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Vickie,

After research, I also did not want to take bisphosphonate. Past 12 months, I have been taking a drug called Forteo & 3 x D3 & 1x K2. I have had a 40 percent improvement in 12 months. Please look up K2 and Forteo. Endocrinologist was amazed at improvement and said to keep doing what ever I'm doing. Anhaga is correct, try and find out your t-score. -2 to -2.5 is only osteopenia.

Danni

• Posted

Hi Danni,

Wow, I am definitely gonna look into that. My T scores are -2.9, -2.8 and -2.9. I am also postmenopausal, 6 years. The T scores are based on a 30 year old female. Therefore, personally I dont think my scores are that bad.

• Posted

I don't think it makes any difference knowing what yr scores are. Osteoporosis is osteoporosis! Having taken all the various drugs over last 11 years my advice would be don't take them. Take K2, D3, magnesium and possibly calcium. Exercise with a trainer or at least supervision. Main thing is acceptance. You have to learn what you can and can't do but accept it and go with it. I can't lift bales of hay anymore or buckets of water. Annoying but fact. I don't struggle to make my bed, I can't lift a saucepan full of spaghetti to drain. So I do what I can do . I walk - Nordic walking is supposed to be very good. Swimming for some is very good. Just work out what suits you. Dit and rest when you need to etc. There are worse things to have. It's horrid and spinal fractures are very painful indeed and sometimes can't be avoided (I do them sneezing!). Good luck with whatever you decide to do

• Posted

Hi Faith,

Thank you for your response. Im so sorry that just sneezing can cause a spinal fracture for you! I do take megadose of D3, 50,000 weekly, calcium, but need to check into K2 and Magnesium. My first fall on ice was a brutal thing. I was very carefully salting outside of workplace, accidently stepped on ice encased wheelchair ramp. Both feet went out from under me and I landed right on my tailbone and of course instinctively tried to break my fall with my hands. This was all on video and I have been told the back of my head came within 3 inches of hitting sidewalk. So thankful I didnt get a head injury. I wish I would have put my coat on, maybe that could have cushioned the blow. Everyone thought my wrists would be the worst of it, but my back is what limits me. Im only 56, still want to work but I have to be so selective about what I can do. Im not disabled but somewhat limited. I never want to put myself in a position to hurt myself. As you know its frustratingsad I also have osteoarthritis in my back that causes alot of pain at times. 

• Posted

You are up against it with ice. That is a great fear I have but we do have weather warnings so just have to be very aware. It does become manageable so don't despair. Osteoarthritis is pretty grim. I have a friend who has had 52 operations for arthritis. She was told she can make a choice, lie bed and be miserable for ever, other up and get on with it. A bit brutal but she got up. I often think of her. Last October we went in Safari for two weeks together and it was fabulous!!! Best wishes

• Posted

Faith, thank you for some very good advice. Sorry you have had fractures from sneezing. I thought I had too when sneezing but instead I had ruptured a few discs. 

Do you know your tscores?

When I sneeze now I open my mouth wide and if seated throw my head back to allow the sneeze to come out rather than put pressure on back or anywhere.

I live in Australia yet need vitamin D3. I take vitamin K2 daily and others like magnesium less frequently,

I know my tscores because then I can see if there is any improvement and know not to take lightly my situation.

I have heard of people with osteopenia breaking bones and even people without osteoporosis or osteopenia account for half of all fractures.

• Posted

Hi Vickie just join this forum. I'm glad I found it. I was just told I have osteoporosis based on DEXA scan. E

They did scan after having a fracture in February.

T is -3.6. After reading all the did effects of meds I really don't want to take any. I've been taking calcium and vitamin D for months.

• Posted

Add Vitamin K2 and a lttle extra magnesium, and as much appropriate exercise as you can manage, and you should be on the road to recovery!  If your spine t-score is not great learning a few techniques to protect your spine, and exercises to strengthen supporting muscles would be a good idea.
    • Posted

Hi Anhaga, I'm already taking vitamin K and exercising. I've been researching about osteoporosis about nutrition, exercises and getting sunlight helps. I was surprised to find out my results from the scan. The only thing not sure about is what kind of doctor is educated enough in the field of bone health. I also started taking other supplements and vitamins that contain magnesium.

• Posted

Buy some Epsom salts and put some in yr bath. That is magnesium and a cheaper way of buying it
    • Posted

Hi faith, thank for the advise didn't epsom salt contained magnesium. I will try that. Any advise on how to help lower back pain?

• Posted

Absolutely none sadly. I tend to sit down until it passes. oddly enough sitting in my car helps so I go out for a drive! I do pace myself when I'm bad, so do a bit and then sit down and so on. I try not to take ills but if I really need to I do. Heat helps me so use a wheat bag. None of this is helpful for you. Perhaps someone else had some good ideas. Will be interested to hear of any

• Posted

My back is much better since I started physio exercises - which I have done faithfully twice a day nearly every day for years now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.