other forms of B12 and how to increase frequency of injections

Posted , 8 users are following.

Will using sublingual or transdermal B12 help if someone is diagnosed with pernicious anaemia?  I thought the body couldn't absorb B12 because of the lack of intrinsic factor - that's why taking B12 tablets is pointless.

My daughter has 12 weekly injections and the effects only last about 4 weeks but her GP won't increase the frequency.

Can anyone give us some advice please??

Thank you in advance.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lesley, i too have PA and like your daughter used to have injections every 12 weeks but in the last few months have managed to get them increased to every 8 weeks as has you say effects from injections wear off long before  next injection is due.GPs appear to have little knowledge off b12 / pa defiency and follow the guidelines for injections ie every 12 weeks rather than listening to the patient and treating symtoms with more frequent injections. I take a sublinqual every day if i remember and although as you say b12 can only be absorbed by injection for those with PA  it appears that you absorb.  about 1% of the sublinqual so key is to take a high strengh one.I have got this advice plus more from a support group on the internet which gives you all the information you need to know on PA.You could also try taking your daughter back to GP and really stressing that she needs more frequent injections as feel better for so long then goes downhill until next injection.Every 12 weeks is not frequently enough for most with PA.If you need any more advice feel free to get in touch.Good luck
  • Posted

Lesley there is an amazing group on the web called, New Beginnings B12  defiency information and support group.Would really recommend taking a look 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.