Others pick on my husband for Aspergers behaviors what do u do?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Mu partner of 30 yrs is my angel. He has Aspergers. Social skills r a big issue. We have friends but they make fun of how he dresses and talks.

What do u do if this is a issue with UR loved one?

1 like, 58 replies

58 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

They're bad people. They don't know what the word "respect" means.
    • Posted

Agree with you. Even someone with a condition or illness is entitled to respect - more so in a way. And people who do not have it should be thankful they don't.
    • Posted

Yes that could be some of it. They know his issues and truly in their way try to help.

THANKX 

• Posted

So true. There is very little understanding. The stigma society has put on people who r different is very troubling. I find that most don't have to cope with it on a daily basis and no need to change their condescending attitude. They do try to get it. Just don't have it to cope.

i showed on of our friends this string and honestly they r in denial in some ways and learned to accept the differences that they can't change .

that alone has given hope that their hearts r in it and need to think differently for better support . 

Thanks to to all for sharing UR words of support.

CHEERS

HOPE

• Posted

I dont think its about the so called friends being in denia. It is about how they are cruel and hard and do not care if they hurt other peoples feelings and they get a kick out of it. They enjoy it. They know very well what the yare diong and that is why they do it. It is a bit like saying that someone punched you in the face and your teeth flew across the room but you explained to the person that it hrut so now they know not to do it anymore. Why would someone punch you in the face in the first place unless they want you to hurt. Violence or mental cruelty is a deliberate act not done by a\ccident.
  • Posted

I'm actaully embarassed for people who think it is OK to mock others who are different from them. There's something very ignorant about it. It just doesn't sit well with me. Tbh, as most others have said, these people do not seem like 'real' friends. A real friend wouldn't belittle someone in this way.
  • Posted

To Mock the afflicted is shallow.. and childish to say the least.. Sadly we live in a world of bullies and power stricken people. Those people make me angry, why? because they pick on those who cannot very often fight back, or who would not fight back. Its down right cruel and in any place in the country this happens to children, animals, the sick, workplace, the disabled.. which has been in recent years been encouraged by the Government in the UK who set a very poor example in the Community thier  bullying tactics should acted upon be seen as Zero Tolerance.
    • Posted

My friend has aspergers and a lot of people argue with her or take the mickey or simply do not understand her but I try my best and never mock. It can be hard because she gets argumentative and can be selfish and unreliable but she has qualities too and if you choose someone as a friend you should accept them for what and who they are.
    • Posted

This reminds me of something Dawn. I used to know a very superior lady who had no REAL friends. But she would often talk about how she had lots of friends. Her so called friends were lonely old ladies who were living alone and having a struggle with life. This superior lady would say "I am visiting my friend later" and turn up there whenever it suited her. She didnt like teo wait to be invited or ring to check if it was convenient. Then when she got there she would talk downto the old lady and talk more like a teacher than a friend. She would then get a lot of mileage out of telling everyone how kind she was to have gone there. Yet she wanted somewhere to go and it was great for her she could go whenever it suited her and she got a huge kick out of talking down to them. She got far more out of it than they did. So I wonder if sometimes the friends of peiople with sperges or a mental health problem, stammer, shyness or any other "problem" are being "friends" so they can feel more perfect than their friend.
  • Posted

That could be a fact of course.. I guess we all like to think we are helping ..Some of us like myself have a lot of knowledge in the Medical field and try to advise others as I have much experience..but would hate to be seen as supirior.. The sad thing is there is little respect these days, and the care and compassion is not there. People can be very bitchy and unkind ..I have found this in the nursing Profession sadly. I was married to a Man with Aspergers although he was not diagnosed with it but I kne there was something up with him ..he was hard work. Now my daughter has borderline ..she is not a good mixer, wont go out when she has been asked out or chatted up..says she likes to be alone .I worry for her. She is a very attractive young girl. I try to stand up for people who are being mocked and then I usually am the one who gets it in the neck! sad
    • Posted

You sound like a really nice person but not everyone is. Not everyone wants to help. Some people are cruel and sedlfish. You have to be able to tell the kind ones who want to help from the cruel ones who want to hurt. Nothing wrong with standing up for those being mocked but maybe it helps if you can tell who is nasty and who isnt.

• Posted

Well I have learnt over the years and sense the ones who are not that honest.. I never had any problems with my patients ..it was always the self opnionated Power craving staff.. I still have my little momento's and happy memories from my time doing the job I loved ..Now retired I miss it but need the time for me..Things have changed greatly which saddens me. Sometimes Nurses are like Teacher's and can be very condescending to patients..I know I have  heard it! The Nurse was known to me, she  talked down to my Mother like that on a Home Visit!

I soon put her straight and said that is my Mother you are talking to please dont be rude..Power driven...

• Posted

Yes I know what you mean, have heard and seen many similar things. It is great you have your momentos and good memories of before. Hope you are enjoying your new life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.