Our amazing bodies!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Having googled ABG analysis procedure and reading the nurses protocol I came across the following.... \" Blood is a living tissue and it continues to consume oxygen and produce carbon dioxide whilst in the syringe\" . Isn't that amazing?! It continues with a life of its own independent of the body! It didn't say how long it continued for but it must be quite some time , as the reason this was mentioned was because ....\" The sample must be analyzed within ten minutes. or placed in ice and water and analyzed within thirty minutes to avoid a false result\". Otherwise they must discard the sample and start again as the oxygen / carbon dioxide readings will be too high!

WOW! Having studied Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology I thought I knew all the basic structures , workings and malfunctions of the body, but that one blew me away? Aren't we - and all life for that matter - absolutely miraculous?!

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Vanessa, I didn't know that it is amazing. But when you stop and think about how out bodies work the whole thing is amazing.

How are you today?

Tessa

• Posted

Hi you two, I did not know this about blood either - but it does make sense when you think why they are always needing more blood for transfusions because it does not store for very long.

Vanessa, I hope you are feeling better. Don't worry about the tests - they do not know what they are doing and most of them are not medically qualified - they are given minimal training so that they can just tick boxes so will not be able to deny you the relevant benefit. If they try you can appeal. My friend was initially denied and, on appeal, saw a proper doctor who said that many of them on these boards are poor in knowledge. He was given the benefit immediately once he saw someone qualified.

How is the weather there? Sounds exciting but it must be a bit scary too. I have always loved the sea and do envy people who live on the coast but this does help me see the downside too - not all romance and beauty. Hope everything is well with you.

I have been noticing for some time that we three seem to be \"it\" at the moment. Hopefully someone will feel moved to comment on something soon. You know, when I was first looking a visited several sites before I plucked up the courage to comment - and now you can't shut me up!

Jacee

:D

• Posted

That's true Vanessa, your forms won't be looked at by a doctor. I feel it will go well for you and you can appeal.

I had to appeal for my DLA. So try not to worry.

Your weather does sound a bit scary. We had gale force winds and torrential rain through the night. It is just grey and dismal now. Oh! for Spring.

• Posted

Hello Ladies,

I like your little club, In the past week or so i have found it very helpful being a newbie to copd, thank you Tessa for sorting out my registration disaster!!,

I have a question my husband is looking to escape the rat race so we would be relocating, would i be better healthwise to live by the seaside or inland or does it not make any difference.

Echo

• Posted

Hi echo! How lovely to hear from you again, welcome!

Like you I am wanting to move as part of an overall strategy aimed at making life as easy as possible. I currently live in a really pretty Cornish fishing village just yards from the sea. Idyllic under other circumstances but really not good now that I am not so well. Everything is uphill, the nearest hospital is miles away and as the streets are too narrow to allow cars an ambulance would never make it to my door!

I don't think it's a question of seaside versus countryside, or coast versus inland, so much as finding somewhere relatively flat with any facilities you may need within easy reach. If you are in a position to choose then yes, I would avoid fume filled cities. I would love to chat more about this and other things but I'm close to 'nodding off' just now so will get back to you in the next day or so. I'm sure the other girls will be along soon too! Once again, its so good to hear from you, best wishes to you and your family, Vanessa smile

• Posted

Hi echo, good to hear from you.

This is a question I have been asking myself. Though it is not on the cards at this moment in time, but where would I breathe better?

Have a friend with asthma and she moved to Devon because the sea air would be better for her, but it turned out that it wasn't.

I agree with moving to where the streets a flat with no inclines and you have any facilities that you may need pretty near.

This year I may spend a bit of time in the country and the coast and see for myself where I feel better.

Tessa

• Posted

Hi echo, nice to hear from you. Tessa is good at \"sorting out\" isn't she? In reply to your question - who knows? I think it very much depends on the individual. I find the warmth better for breathing than cold or damp air but there does not seem to be a difference between coast and country for me. My friend finds coast better, but gets asthma like symptoms in the countryside and another friend states that the sea air (\"damp\" air) is much worse for his chest. I think a lot depends on your underlying condition and your individual needs so nobody can really speak for anyone else.Do let us know if you find out differently.

I agree with vanessalee about avoiding traffic fumes though.

Jacee

• Posted

Thanx Tessa and Vanessa, it's a tricky one as although i'm only 46 tho' sometimes feel 96 i plan this to be our last move (i hate moving as my parents were always moving albeit in the same town)plus i have the kids and their education to think of so wasn't sure whether the sea air would be a good or a bad thing, I've just spent a 3rd day at the hospital with my 5 year old so have zzzzzzzzzz calling!!

Echo

• Posted

Hi echo, I just noticed your post, mentioning that you have been at the hospital with your little one, I do hope you are both OK now and that it was nothing too serious. My thoughts go out to you, best wishes Vanessa
  • Posted

Echo, I do hope your little one is recovering ok.

Tessa

• Posted

Thank you Tessa and Vanessa for your kind wishes, my daughter has started limping and walking on the side of her foot , we spend 2.5 days at hospital having xrays,blood tests and seeing numerous doctors only to be told they don't know what it is and to go home and get her to rest (hmm don't think they have a 5 year old) didn't really help that every time she saw a doctor she went mute, hopefully it will rectify itself soon as have had to revert to getting her around in a pushchair not good for me in this town of hills that i live in, roll on summer when we can think of moving!!x

Echo

Sorry i do have a tendancy to ramble on!!

• Posted

Hi echo,

That was not a ramble - it was a chat. I have had some issues recently with the NHS and my nurses comment was that the NHS is fine, it just was not set up to meet the needs of sick people. In your daughter's case she may be right. Hope things improve soon.

Jacee :D

• Posted

Hi echo, I am not surprised they don't know what is wrong. This is happening a lot recently to people I know.

Having to use the pushchair must be taking its toll on you; I do hope things improve soon.

Jacee I love that. The NHS not set up to meet the needs of sick people.

Tessa

• Posted

thanks Jacee that was a lovely thought about my rambling, the pushchair is a struggle but my daughter helps me out a bit by walking a bit when i am out of breath!!x

Echo

• Posted

Hi echo, getting in and out/riding and walking must be a great nuisance to both you and your daughter. I truly hope things improve soon for you. Keep smiling though, you sound like a very positive person and I find that looking on the bright side really helps me to stay positive, which in turn makes me feel better. Hope that makes sense.

Jacee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.