Our amazing bodies!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Having googled ABG analysis procedure and reading the nurses protocol I came across the following.... \" Blood is a living tissue and it continues to consume oxygen and produce carbon dioxide whilst in the syringe\" . Isn't that amazing?! It continues with a life of its own independent of the body! It didn't say how long it continued for but it must be quite some time , as the reason this was mentioned was because ....\" The sample must be analyzed within ten minutes. or placed in ice and water and analyzed within thirty minutes to avoid a false result\". Otherwise they must discard the sample and start again as the oxygen / carbon dioxide readings will be too high!

WOW! Having studied Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology I thought I knew all the basic structures , workings and malfunctions of the body, but that one blew me away? Aren't we - and all life for that matter - absolutely miraculous?!

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I sure does Jacee. What methods do you use to pull up when you get one of those really down days?

Tessa

• Posted

Hi Tessa, when I feel down (which is not often) I do several things.

a) I think of others who are worse off (I am still able to work, though I don't know for how much longer)

b) I come on this site and read a lot of positive messages

c) I come on this site and say how I am feeling and someone cheers me up, offers encouragement, gives me an explanation, etc

d) I talk to my lovely husband (married 39 years) who is a tremendous source of support just because he loves me so much

e) I ring my daughter and talk to her and my grandchildren

f) I ring a friend who has a sense of humour which is totally off the wall (and very unPC)

g) I read a novel - sheer escapism

OR in an emergency, when all else fails, I have a good cry, then look at myself in the mirror and decide the red-eyed look really does not suit me and I would be better off smiling - seriously though, forcing a smile can help as it releases \"feel good\" endorphins which then make us feel better. Let me know what you do to cheer up.

Jacee

• Posted

For most of the time I am fairly positive. I have been housebound for 5 years and get the odd longing to go out, but have made sure I surround myself with music, dvds, novels, puzzle books and the laptop.

I think I mentioned somewhere else I have a condition where I cough up blood, which is why I don't go out. When I have an episode of that it pulls me right down and I may take a little longer to get back up and feel positive again.

Also I have you gals to talk to and understand.

Tessa

• Posted

Hi Tessa, I am so grateful that I can still get out and about - but when I cannot I will also have music, dvds, novels and puzzle books and maybe jigsaws too. We all need to keep the mind active as well as the body. I hope your oxygen use is going well. I have found that if you persevere you do get used to the cannulae, etc. And remember - regular use of 15 hours minimum a day has been proven to prolong life - so it's worth it.

Jacee

:wink:

• Posted

Hi Jacee, thank you the oxygen is going well. Only problem I can forsee is that I will be ordering a new tank every few days. They don't last long. But it is helping.

Tessa

• Posted

Hi Tessa, Is there a particular reason why you use an oxygen tank? I only ask because I understood that they preferred to hand out concentrators (cheaper oxygen and do not have to be continuously replaced). Whatever, if oxygen tanks is best for you they will just have to deliver them more often. The important thing is that you are now using it regularly. Wait until Vanessa gets hers, we will then be triplets and will need a group name - The Airheads perhaps??? Maybe not.

Jacee XX

• Posted

Hi girls, I can't wait to join the 'airheads', though must admit I tend to think of myself as 'jelly baby' at the moment as that is what my shape truly resembles--- cute at 5 but not so cute at 55!

You may have gathered from my obsessive foraging amongst oxygen and cannula related sites that my excitement and anticipation is almost unbearable! I definitely think the family truly are finding my constant chatter on the subject a bit repetitive to put it mildly. I will try to resist my impulses in that direction for a while as it has been pointed out to me that I might \"come down to earth with a bump\" once I have it. And then I'll be a bit red faced!

Glad everyone is fine and hope you are getting some of the lovely sunshine and blue skies that we are having here --- blooming nippy though! Van

• Posted

Hi Vanessa, lovely to hear from you. I know what you mean about watching your tongue as I found it surprising that not everyone in my family was as excited as me about portable oxygen concentrators. Anyway, WE are interested so that's all that matters. I think I now take the oxygen for granted though - once you get used to it it is just one more thing that you do without thinking; into the car and connect to the portable tank; into the house and connect to the concentrator - I don't even notice now and truly have to feel to see whether the cannula is up my nose or not (and my nose is not THAT big!). However, I must admit I am also a jelly baby (or as my family affectionately refer to me, a \"jelly belly\"wink as I have now put on nearly 5 stone. I took more antibiotics in January when they queried blood clots on my lungs, but tore up my prescription for steroids, though I know that was not a good idea. :oops: Oh well, there is more of me to love I suppose.

We are also experiencing clear blue skies and sunshine but the forecast for tonight is that it will drop below freezing. Okay, we acknowledge that we have had winter, roll on spring and summer. I am looking at holiday brochures again.

Jacee

xx

• Posted

We have had some lovely sunny, but cold days here. I thing Spring is finally on the way.

When I came out of hospital 4 years ago the prescribed the oxygen tanks. My oxygen provider did mention concentrators, but I don't know quite where I would put it. He delivered a new tank today and I asked him about taking them out in the sun and he said perfectly ok as all theirs are stored out in the yard.

Another question. Can you drive while using oxygen? Not that I think I will ever drive again, but just wondered.

Tessa

• Posted

Hi Tessa, I shouldn't really be here at the moment, but I was so fed up as I managed ---- for the second time mind you ---- to lose all the info from my almost completed on-line council housing application form! That's it - I'm going back to good old fashioned paper!

I guess you can drive using 02, I think Jacee does, though don't take my word for it! But I do remember reading somewhere on the net about a lady who kept removing her cannula just before traffic lights etc because she didn't want to be 'seen' with it!

So does it make a real difference in your opinion? I mean I know it's important and makes a difference medically speaking , but are you continuing to notice a difference in how you feel? I hope it is making things a bit better for you Tessa. Also it's good to know you can sit out in the sun with it too - get some of that vitamin D - its amazing what a bit of sunshine can do for our spirits! Ta Ta for now, Vanesa

• Posted

Hi Tessa, Firstly the concentrator - You can put it almost anywhere as it is smaller than most tanks, being about the size of a mobile calor gas heater. Secondly, driving is easy. I have a portable cylinder in the footwell of the passenger seat and just turn it on and slip on the cannula. I think it is really funny what Vanessa said about the lady who took it off at traffic lights - I am not that sensitive and couldn't care less who sees me. Anyway, I think it quite suits me! When I first returned to work after going on to oxygen, I had to have a health and safety assessment. The woman who did this was worried about me driving, had obviously never seen a cannula used and did not seem aware that masks were fitted with straps because she was really worried about what the Police might say if they saw me driving along one-handed whilst holding on my mask with the other! Keep smiling

Jacee

xx

• Posted

Hi All,

thank you for your kind thoughts Jacee,

My daughter is on the mend now seems she had a severe sprained ankle must be all that dancing and spinning around she does (she is going to be a ballet dancing veterinary princess so she informs me)!!

feeling the need to join in on your conversation about what we do when down i telephone my big sister(she's actually quite little) for a rant which makes me feel alot better, she does the same to me!!, speak to one of my friends who think i am quite mad, get a big hug from my daughter who tells me i am the best mum ever!!, oh and my husband who i sometimes forget is quite marvellous!!

I now have one of my questions for you as i have only known about my copd for a short while my most recent fev1 was 81% is that good (age 46)

as am incredibly breathless most of the time.

thanks ladies

Echo x

• Posted

Hi Echo, FEV1 81% is not bad at all. Vanessa understands this much better than me, but roughly what this means is that your breathing is 81% of what it would be expected to be for a woman of your age. I think you have to be under 30% to be classed as severe and mine is 22%. As long as you are not smoking and are avoiding smoky atmospheres you should do okay.

I'm glad your daughter is on the mend. The world definitely needs more ballet dancing veterinary princesses. Good luck.

Jacee xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.