Out of the cast, into the boot!

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm almost 5 weeks post-op, and today, I was taken out of the cast and put into the boot! FWB and everything ! It's super exciting! I no longer have to hop around my apartment or try to cook on 1 foot...

I can go back to work, without my knee scooter right now, just in 4 hour shifts for now as to not strain my ankle too much -- my manager isn't happy that he can't schedule me for over 20 hours, he would like me to be working over 30 hours...but oh well. I would like me to be working over 30 hours as well!! But I'm not going to risk anything and want to heal properly.

It feels strange to walk. It doesn't hurt per say, it just feels weird. I'm starting PT on Monday, so that's in motion, and I go back to my doctor in 3 weeks.

And it's so weird, it seems that this boot is lighter than the last boot I had, even though they're both Aircast boots, and I'm sure the same style -- but the construction is a little different, so maybe it's just updated. No complaints here! I also might just be crazy lol.

1 like, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Are you doing any exercises? I've been doing Pilates and some upper body exercises, just modifying for my ankle. Curious what others are doing. I'm also curious what is involved in your PT when you go.

• Posted

I did some exercises, but not much. Didn't have the motivation.

I went to PT Monday and it was mostly an eval/give me exercises to do at home, but she did do some stretching and massaging. I go again tomorrow and expect I will be doing more.

• Posted

Was in the Gym with walking boot and crutches at 7 weeks. Repeatedly did abs, floors, upper back and arms, ab crunches. The excercise helps the blood circulation to the ankle/foot area for maximum healing. Now at 8 months. My jobs are very time consuming and I am lucky to squeeze in the Gym lately. Shame, shame. I am 59 years old and trying to stay 10 years younger and thus, the excercise is very essential. Good luck to all!
    • Posted

Wow! I can't even get into the gym in a boot! (As in, I'm not allowed). Planet Fitness is dumb like that. If I was allowed in the gym with a boot, I would've worked out A LOT more back in the fall and would be back in the gym now.

• Posted

Finally will go to gym after work today. Yesterday no, worked from 6:00am to 8:30pm. Just knowing that the gym is possible today will make work go quickly. Xperience Fitness and the one that has the best machines! Can't wait!

• Posted

I'm non weight bearing for seven more weeks, so just trying to strengthen everything else so I'm ready and strong when it's time to transition to walking.   At 8 months post-op, how is your ankle? How bad was it broke?

• Posted

About the same as the first. Still not doing much. Got my Achilles stretched which is gonna be a big thing -- it was tight before the surgery, and even tighter now.
    • Posted

Ankle is triple fused and big toe has a plate. 11 pins and a plate. It's good now. Walking okay.

• Posted

Here's a question to anyone reading this post. As I said before I have had surgery just over 3 weeks ago. It will be 4 weeks on Wednesday. I'm trying to ROM exercises. As it is it's pretty difficult. I can move my ankle from side to side and I think I'm just dealing with stiffness. I can somewhat pull my foot up towards me and put it away a little. I'm fully expecting that to come back. What's kinda scared me today is I can move my toes upwards To my head but when I try curl them down the big toe twitches a little and then everything stops. No matter what I do there's no movement past the initial twitch of the toe. Anyone else experience this. I have numbness in my right foot and afraid that there may be nerve damage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.