Ovarian cyst painfull and not liking watch n wait approach

Posted , 22 users are following.

Hi hope someone can help end of November 13 was admitted to hospital for suspected appendicitis with pain in my right side was due for ultrasound but they sent me home cos I was feeling better but pain still in right side then I took my self to a n e as pain still hadn't gone this was start of dec next day sent me for ultrasound discovered a 4 cm hemorrhagic cyst on right ovary still a wait n see approach been spotting on of with brown discharge n red thought it might be my period but only had one a week before suffering with terrible uti at the minute and have a constant ache in my right side and then get sudden attacks of sharp pain like a stabbing pain I'm tired of waiting and been in pain due for ultrasound in few weeks any advice or why they making me suffer much appreciated

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi kay81644,

Could you please share your results? I'm hoping you got some answers and things are looking good..please share. I've been having all the pain described, not horrible, but there almost all the time and very nagging. Now I've got some serious nausea going on and a very upset stomach after anything I eat. I'm wondering if it's related. I'm hoping to put off going to the Dr. because of insurance reasons...I need to wait another month. But if this nausea doesn't go away I may have to go sooner. I wish the best to you all!

Meg

• Posted

I went for ultrasound yesterday as they thought i had kidney stones.However they didnt find any but they found a 7cm cyst.Symptoms are the same as yours and 6 weeks ago was laid up for 3 days as had a job to stand up.like you i was nauseous  but actually sick and dont want to eat.I have to go for another scan in 6 weeks to see if it has grown they will then decide if i needs to be drained.Hopefully it will burst in the meantime as the flare ups are becoming more frequent.Was told it was unusual for someone my age to have them i am 66.

• Posted

hello, ladies.

Thank you for sharing all your stories. I find informative and encouraging. I am 43 y/o, mother of three young ones. I was having dull abdominal pain, and painful period since 09/2013. I had an Ultrsound in Nov 2013 showed 4cm complex cyst in right ovary. My GYN asked to wait and ultrasound in 02/2014 ( three months later), showed same complex cyst , same size in right ovary. Also It looks like my painful period is due to a fiboroid in uterus . So MRI last week again showed same thing. CA 125 is 40. I am premenopausal . So now I am anxiously waiting for GYN to call back for next step. I am also calling a GYN surgeon tomorrow for 2nd opoinin. Thank you all again for sharing. pray for us all.

• Posted

Hi Kay

I was much in the same boat and am currently post op for cystectomy. I had stabbing pains on my right side and irregular bleeding, I in the past I had had cysts which had resolved them selves. We then went for IVF and confirmed cysts on my right side.  The fertility clinic put me back on the pill and the size of the cysts reduced.  

However the pain came back and this time worse so I knew they were back, with intermittant bleeding and added pressure when going to the bathroom, periods were extremely heavy and painful and very bad back pain "Referred Pain" as I was advised. I went to my doctor who referred me for and ultrasound. They confirmed a 10cm cyst on my right side.

I know in Ireland (which is where I am currently living ) that below 5cm they will use the watch and wait, anything over that they will consider surgery.

I had a laparoscopy 3 weeks ago today, and am still out of work.  They have removed the cyst, ovary and falopian tube.  Most of the pain is ironically in the left side where the biggest incision is but I have been advised by my consultant that its where everything has been "Pulled" through the incision, so more muscular and everything settling post op. Stomach also very swollen still and having to try and rock it in leggings!! lol.

I am glad to say that the pain in my right side has gone completely, but I have found that the pain I had following surgery was alot worse than I expected.  I have also found that I am very tearful and tired alot of the time.  And hoping that this will pass when everything has settled down.  My doctor has today signed me off for another week to give everything time to settle down, I find that I have good and bad days where I feel ok and then start doing more and then the next day I am paying for it, so I am going to spend the next week and a half doing nothing as I am desperate to get back to work but I want to ensure that I am ok.

I know that in the past with me, cysts have gone of their own accord and I think that the reason they like to wait is because of this and also they can be controlled by the contraceptive pill.  I must add that I have been off the pill for a number of years as we have been trying for a baby, so this has probably added to the size of mine.

If I had the option of waiting I would take it as surgery is very extreme, as the chances for infection etc, if the cyst gets bigger they will remove it surgically, but if the cyst is starting to get smaller, they will then unfortunately continue to watch and wait.  

I was lucky in the sense I knew what the pain was when it came back and my GP listened to me and referred me for an ultra sound, as she said that I know my body better than anybody and you will know when something is not right.

I do hope that the pain resides for you and the cyst does get smaller as I wish I could of done that myself as I hadnt planned on loosing an ovary and fallopian tube along the way as we are still hoping for children, but I am 38 and chances were very slim before the surgery and now are next to nil now with out IVF but we are just not in a position financially to do another bout, so will just have to leave it in the lap of the gods!! so to speak.

I know that this does not ease youre worrying, but at least it gives you a clearer view as I have been in both positions. Wishing you a speedy recovery, and hope that everything resolves itself ;o)))

• Posted

I am sitting here in unbearable pain and came across your thread. Almost a year a go I went to the Dr with awful pain. They thought I had a blockage and made me drink all this nasty stuff to "cleanse" myself and did a scan on me. No pain meds or anything. I waited five days to get my results back and it was a ruptured cyst. I had no clue what that was. Now it has been a constant in my life. I called my obgyn two days a go because I am 98% sure I have another rupture. She told her nurse to tell me she doesn't think I have a ruptured cyst. Excuse me?? I think I know well enough what it feels like. She wont see me till next Wed. My husband wants me to go to the ER because of the pain and the fact I am taking pain medication, Tylenol, and using a heating pad and nothing is working. And mine also is worse at night. I wish I had a recliner to sleep in. Praying for you ladies. I don't think people who have never had this can truly appreciate how hard this is on us. I know for me it ruins my sleep, my work, and my life. If I wasnt trying to have a child I would take every bit of it out.
  • Posted

Well ladies..

The last 2 years I've had surgeries to remove 10cm cysts. The last one strangled my ovary (very painful) so that had to be removed.

Went to the dr on Monday and he was convinced I was full term pregnant lol... Scan shows that another cyst has grown on my remaining ovary only this time it measures 36cm!!! What a whopper!!

Anyways I'm having a lot of pain this time, anyone recommend the most effect pain reliefs please? X

• Posted

Hello everyone. I had horrible pain on May 17 starting right after sexual intercourse. It was everywhere even shooting up to my shoulder and upper back. Went to he ER they told me.. A CT scan and sono later they told me that I have a 5.5 cm and. 3.7 cm cyst on both ovaries one of which ruptured and a lot of blood in the abdomen. They kept me to make sure I am not bleeding internally and sent me home and told me to see my obgyn soon. I went to the man that delivered both my children and what an imbisil he is. He made me feel scared, uncertain and just uncomfortable. He didn't tell me ANYTHING when I asked him what his take on my situation was he told me he wasn't a mind reader and can't tell the future. Now I am waiting to go to a different doctor who is highly recommended. I was feeling a heck of a lot better when today I started experiencing dull lower back pain on my left side where my I ruptured cyst is. It hurts significantly. What should I do? Should I go back to the ER? It has been exactly 2 weeks since the rupture. Thanks.
  • Posted

Hi ladies I'm stressing out at the moment I'm 28 years old and last year I was diagnosed with cervical cancer. I had to have a historectomy everything was fine until 6 months ago when I started having a pain in the right hand side of my abdominal I went to the doctors on a number of occasions and was told it was a uti,kidney stones,kidney infection to a pulled muscle. I went back to the doctors last week and saw a different doctor who looked at my notes and she felt my belly she said she wanted me to have a blood test and a ultra sound to check my overy. I went for my ultra sound today and she told be I have a 5cm cyst on my right overy there's no blood supply but there's white spots in it??? She didn't say what kind of cyst it was. She said she was going to fax my scan picture on to my gyno and to ring him tomorrow afternoon to get a earlier appointment to see what he want to do about it. Does anyone know what the White spots in the cyst can be??? My bloods have came back ok. As I sahd I am really freaking out over it all I keep thinking is that the cancer has spread xxxx
  • Posted

Hi Kay8644 and all the other ladies,

I've been diagnosed with a 3.6 cm cyst on my left ovary a few weeks ago and I'm also on the wait and see approach.  My next ultrasound is at the end of October. I would like to know a few updates from you if possible?  How did the diagnosis turned out?  I'm getting paranoid that I have ovary cancer. I'm always bloated and need to go to the bathroom often.  They diagnosed a hemorragic cyst and tell me that it will probably resolve on its own in a few weeks/months.  I'm also trying to get pregnant but not sure if the cyst will have an impact on this.  I'm afraid...  Can you please tell me how it turned out for you and if I'm exagerating my fears for cancer? I'm 33 years old.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.