Ovarian Cyst Surgery in 2 days! Please help

Posted , 8 users are following.

About 2 months ago i got horrible pain which led to me going to the E.R , i was diagnosed with 2 ovarian cyst one on each side . The left side is about 12cm and im not sure about the right just know its smaller. I'm having surgery in 2 days and im petrified to say the least. Had my pre-op on thurs day but still unsure of the whole process. Removing my left ovary might be the best alternative , but shes unsure about my right or even taken out the cysts since she feels might cause damage to my ovary . Its just been crazy and emotional not knowing the aftermath or how life will be . Will i have different symptoms ? Sex drive ? Fertility ? Thank you in advanced and God Bless you smile

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ah Maria. I really feel for you as I am going through the exact same thing. Same size too. in don't have a date for my op yet :-( are you have keyhole or open surgery.

Hope you are OK

Julie x

• Posted

Thank you for your response Julie!!

Well at the beggining it was suppose to be key hole, thats what i was mentally prepared for these past 2 months , on my pre op this past thur she told me she is going to try and do it key hole,yet since its big in size she will stop key hole if she finds it might not take all the fragments out and jump into open surgery . which of course freaks me out thinking ill be basicly having both. Have they mentioned what your surgery might be ??

Maria smile

• Posted

Hi Maria, I'm not able to give you much answers at this point as I am going through some thing similar right now my pre op was on 04/03 my op is on 04/16 mine is around my left ovary it was last measured on 03/16 at 20.4cmx28.3cmx32.9cm but I can tell it has grown bigger because of weight gain and the size of my abdomen for me they are taking both ovaries and tubes maybe more matters if they find cancer mine is possible malignant. But I have heard if they leave even 1 ovary you shouldn't have to many changes as far as fertility. Everyone is different on how there body reacts to these things but I wish you the best of luck and you will be in my thoughts. Please leave us a fallow up when all is said and done, as I will do the same about me. Ronda
    • Posted

Thank you Ronda and i hope your surgery goes great!! Deff keep me updated , you'll be in my prayers as well. Yes i heard with one ovary your able to get pregnant , however what worries me is if she leaves the smaller cyst on my rihgt ovary so she doesn't damage it will it grow and have to have surgery down the line again. Im blessed that up to now pain has been mild and non existent at times , but just the thought of surgery sure takes a toll on us. I hope everything goes well How did they find out you had a cyst ?? was it severe pain or a check up exam ?
    • Posted

I had a sharp pain and nausea about four months ago made me notice my belly was getting bigger and hard so I changed my diet to see if it was foods I was eating making me blotted didn't help, so I did a gut cleanse didn't help, went to Dr. Sent for ultra sound within a week showed mass in abdomen, sent for contrast CT scan within a week showed multi septated cyst area of left ovary the size I said before, sent to gyn within a week he refers me to gyn/on for surgery, it has all moved some what quickly but the waiting is the worst have had lots of back and rib cage pain for a few months from every thing pushing up. They are opening me all the way up and said I should be in the hospital for 3-7 days depending on how much they have to take and I will go in to menopause right away, over the last 6 month I was already having peri menopause signs I am 49. This forum has been great help in not making me feel I am all alone in this journey ( I do have lots of family and friends here for me
    • Posted

Oops hit something wrong before i finished i ment to say but they have not been through the same thing as this) again good luck to you.Ronda. :-)
    • Posted

This forum is a breath of fresh air, because just like you said eventhough we have great support they havent actually gone through it, so its amazing that were able to communicate with woman that know how it feels. It has moved quickly i deff know what i feels like its been 2 months for me and im like omg , not time to even stop & contimplate the situation. How are you emotionally feeling? It must be hard knowing that they'll be opening you all the way up. I really hope for a speedy recovery girl, you'll be in my prayers. Just stay positive smile
    • Posted

Emotionally scared but also can't wait to have this out of me, feeling and looking 7-8 months pregnant is not fun. My gyn said it was watermelon size. I just know god will not put me through anything I can't handle ( serenity prayer ) helps. My work has been great at letting me take any time off needed, knowing I will have a job when I'm done healing helps alot .
    • Posted

Thats always a plus. That's how my job is , their scavenging around for help but they support me. OMG the size of a watermelon, thats crazy!! Yes indeed God will not make us go through things we cannot handle!! Have faith girl. I think were all scared of surgery especially if we've never gone through one. Have you ever had surgery in the past ?
    • Posted

When I was 15 I had a lump removed from my right breast (benign) that's the only surgery but have been in the hospital a few times 2 baby's in my 20s shot in the foot at 13 and suicide attempt 4 years ago. My first child was born with major birth defect had her for almost 18 years ( way Longer than drs. thought she would live) this is why I figure god will only give me what I can handle its the way I look at life most of the time ( besides the suicide attempt but ask for help for 3 months before but got none as very frustrated and depressed all better now) your in my thought and prayers. Keep in touch. Thanks a lot for listening everyone. Ronda. :-)
  • Posted

I understand your worries Maria. Its the not knowing isn't it?

I am on the waiting list for open surgery as they think they may not be able to collapse the cyst and suck it out via keyhole due to them having some internal septations. I am still waiting confirmation following another MRI last Monday. Time usually flies but the last month has been so slow waiting to hear. I too have been told I am likely to lose my left ovary and depends on the right. I have been told there is a possibility of a hysterectomy but again I won't know till I wake up.

The menopause scare me the most.

What sort of recovery time have they said?

Have you got a good network of support?

How are you feeling in yourself? I am so tired and am having problems sleeping.

Julie x

• Posted

The not knowing is deffinitly whats keeping me up at night and has me constantly crying during the day. Can't believe your still waiting for your MRI results been way to long and I bet your just lingering with doubt and emotions. I'm so sorry, i bet the word hysterectomy freaks you out. Do you have any children?? I have none and I'm 25 , the OBGYN hasn't mentioned that possibility yet but then again were not sure till the actual process. Try and stay calm girl, I know its hard but if menopause came early I know it will be life changing, my mom is going through it at the moment shes 55 and gosh its crazy . But in the positive side will all have to go trough it eventually so your not alone.

Recovery time is from 2-4 weeks depends on the surgery she preforms ... whats your recovery time??

I have been blessed with having alot of people care for me and pray for me im very fortunate . How about you ?? Do you have a good support network girl ?? Im glad these sites are able to bring us together and get to conversate with someone who is going through the same.

I've deff been tired, nauseus, can't sleep , I hardly get hungry at times. For sleep i found thta taking a Nightime Advil i believe really helps me. As well as low dose of zanax to calm me down.

Maria ..

• Posted

I think if I haven't heard by Tuesday I am gonna chase. I just need to know.

I am 40 next week and my family thankfully is complete. I have a great network of support. I am freaking slightly as this is my 2nd MRI. This time they wanted to have a further look around especially my lymph nodes. I am trying to go with the "no news is good news". I am sure they would have called if concerned?

Depending on surgery type I have been told anywhere from 2-8 weeks.

I will be thinking of you over the next few days. Please keep us all posted. These forums are great for supporting each other.

Take care

Julie x

• Posted

Thank you Julie, I will also be thinking of you. yes , thats they key point , no news is good news , if they would have found something you would have known by now so stay positive!! Glad you have a great support system , deff what we all need in these hard times!!!
  • Posted

I had open surgery on the 2nd of April, they did try keyhole but cyst was wrapped around ovary, I had both ovaries and tubes removed but I am 66 so no good to me. I was kept in overnight but recovering well, it is longer recovery for open surgery but all is going OK and getting better everyday, I am not one to sit around doing nothing but you have to be patient. Hope all goes well
    • Posted

Wow Brenda. Only one night stay. That's really good. Hope you continue to feel well.

Take care

• Posted

I'm glad your feeling better Brenda!! I did hear open surgery recovery is longer. Do you how big your cyst was?? How do you feel over all ?
    • Posted

Think it was 8cm, feel tired but I think that is doing nothing, I have to say it is painful for nearly a week and I found the trapped wind where they blow your stomach up worse than anything, as I said I am not a very patient, patient
    • Posted

I did hear that gas is the worst makes it painful when it starts coming out . Do you feel constipated ? Are you able to get any sleep or is it to painful to sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.