Ovarian Cysts - At What Rate Do They Develop?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello.

I am new here so will try and keep this as short as possible.

Around 2 months ago I, unfortunately suffured a misscarriage which required surgery. I was advised that despite being 10 weeks 'pregnant' there was no 'fetal pole' just a yolk sack. I was told to wait until 12 weeks to see if the 'pregnancy' passed naturally (which it did not) and I had to have what was effectiveley a termination.

During all the above, I was given many ultrasound scans, and I was  advised by the examiner that I have a 5cm cyst on my right ovary. She told me that this is very common, and not to worry.

However... Over the last 2 weeks my stomach has become so bloated that I have had a friend say to me that she was not aware that I was 'expecting'... A neighbour also asked when I was due... It's not suprising as I look around 7 months pregnant.

I am a keep gym goer, and very into health and fitness. I have altered my diet but gained a stone. I have also been urinating around 3 times an hour(!) despite feeling permanantly dehydrated.

Over the last few days I have been experiencing excruiciating pain in my right lower abdomen, mainly when excersising.

To add to this I have also been put under investigation at a cardiology unit, for persistant dizziness and palpitations.

I cannot quite belive that a cyst could have developed from 5cm to a considerable size in just 9 weeks, but would really appreciate any input, information or experience that anyone may have.

Thank you in advance, Regards.

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I had a 14cm Dermoid cyst removed in October. Mine was first recognised when it was 8.9 cm's that was in April then when I had it removed 6 months later it had grown to 14 cm's so mine grew just under a cm a month.

Please don't leave it tho get it checked.

• Posted

The pain and increased urination are common symptoms please go back to Gp or to a&he if pain can't be controlled. Cocodamol helped me but ended up taking codeine as it became severe, ask for another ultrasound to check size, usually when more than 5 cm they will remove. Good luck.
  • Posted

This is very like what happened to me. Was scanned months ago and was told that I had a cyst when pregnant. Mine has grown to nearly 29cm. I had this removed a short time ago but thankfully pregnancy is ok and baby doing fine.

I had previously been informed from scans months ago that I needed to empty my bladder!!!! It is very frightening but worth getting removed. I'm now recovering and feel lot better knowing it's removed. I had ovary removed also.

• Posted

I have a large ovarian cyst on my right ovary, saw consultan who advised removal of both ovaries, i am 66 so she thought it better to remove both.I am really worried as hate hospitals,any advise would be appreciated.
    • Posted

Hi Brenda- same here. I am a very healthy 74 yrs old and until Dec 10th 2014 was fine. Went for an ultrasound because I'd had cystitis 3 months earlier which had completely cleared up so I nearly cancelled the scan ! On 11th Dec doctor phoned to say I had cysts on ovaries. They turned out to be 5cm and 8cm. Was told at 1st appointment it would be a hysterectomy and I go on Jan 27th, but the surgeon said he will do laparoscopy first ,and then maybe a hysterectomy.They can't get a 8cm cyst through the small laparoscopy cut so I'm expecting the full op.The worry and waiting is unbelievable. I am calming down now but over Xmas and New Year it was hard when all around is family get togethers and parties. Just had to pretend felt OK but terrified in private.Have you got a date yet? All I can say is enjoy the 'normal' days you've got now and worry when the time comes. I have 9 nice days left so trying to keep positive.Keep in touch any time xx
    • Posted

Hi Brenda me again. Over 65 they told me they are treating it as possible ovarian cancer but my blood test was normal and CT scan showed nothing in rest of body,so if they mention biopsies and chemotherapy it's only because they have to tell you all the possibilities. Also I have no symptoms at all.Too much information sometimes ! xx
    • Posted

My letter says my cyst is 66 by 76 mm. I think that is wrong as consultant said keyhole surgery,now i dont know what to think
    • Posted

Hi Brenda, one of my cysts was 80mm (or 8cm  same thing) this was removed by keyhole very neatly. Unless there are other difficulties yours should also be ok for keyhole. 
    • Posted

Hi Brenda yours is same size as mine-8cms they've measured yours in mms that's all.dizzylizzie had hers removed by keyhole so that's reassuring- only one day in hospital.xx
    • Posted

Hi dizzylizzie- that's made my day. I've been told all along 8cms is too big to have keyhole. Thanks x
  • Posted

I had an cyst diagnosed in march at 2.2cm. Another scan in november and it was 7cm.  Now I really feel like it has grown more... I read they can grow quite large fast. Im due for keyhole surgery in 3 weeks.
    • Posted

I'm having the ovary and tube removed. I can't wait, I'm so done with the bloating, nausea, hip and back pain! And I hope I'll get a grip on my appetite (gained about 15 pounds) in the last few months!!!).
    • Posted

Hi Chantal- don't worry about your weight at moment-you have enough to put up with. You'll be back on your feet by Spring and can tackle it then. You might lose some straight after op- I've heard that other people have. Good luck keep in touch.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.