Over Corrected REDO surgery?

Posted , 7 users are following.

My eyes were over corrected from glasses( -5.0 R and -4.25 L; +2.25 for progressive, no astigmatism,) with a single +13.0 single vision standard technis abbott lens. (Seems strange to have same Rx lens despite never being same for past 50 years?) 

Post op - I was over corrected as now I need a +.5 in both eye glasses for distance and a +2.5 for reading.  Overcorrection sucks as it reduced mid range vision as well and forces stronger readers, which distort more.  Also as we age I believe the eye ball can change (smaller) thus making the need for even stronger + scripts for glasses.  Bottom line....surgery was one month ago....should I redo with better lens implants?? I am considering a redo with ORA performed. 

Prior to surgery, I was never told about LACS or ORA by 2 drs.  Found out about ORA and LACS at this site...thanks but wish it has been before. 

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm planning on having my cataract surgery right eye target set slightly nearsighted (maybe -0.25) to help avoid overshooting to farsighted - rather have a little nearsighted than farsighted to try to get a little intermediate distance vision too.

I'm hoping the use of ORA will give the best chance of hitting close to the target.  The last consulation I had ORA has an added out of pocket cost of $480.

• Posted

YES do ORA..wish I had know about it.

I would have it dialed in at 0..  Why know post surgery you will be -.25?  Ask surgeon re Rx tweak.  My guess is they won't 2nd guess ORA optics.

• Posted

I am sorry to learn that you are farsighted after your cataract surgery. As you noted, that is worse than having a small amount of nearsightedness.

Anyway, personally I would not recommend doing a replacement lens implant unless the surgeon is willing to do it for free. It is a little harder surgery to do compared with the original cataract surgery.

My suggestion will be to use LASIK enhancement to correct the vision to -0.25 or so. That will take care of the far-sightedness as well as any astigmatism (even if small) which you may have. However, you should wait for another 1-2 months to allow the vision to stabilize before taking this step.

By the way, I have had LASIK enhancement done in both of my eyes to correct the asitgmatism as well as the spherical prescription to the desired value, and have been very happy with the results.

• Posted

Greetings AT201...thanks for nice reply.  That is encouraging.  When I hold up a  set of +.5d  lenses all gets very sharp...surely 20/20, the +.25d are pretty good too.   IE...so far both eyes are similarly over powered.

I sure would love to have distance at 0.  So I'll be a patient patient and see how it settles in over next 3-5 weeks.  Right eye was done almost 4 weeks ago and isn't changing now.  Left eye about 2 weeks. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm amazed at surgery, but I really want distance right.  Then I can mess with proper progressives for mid and close. 

Curious about more details about your Lasik.  IE what was your vision like after cataract surgery, then what is it now after Lasik?  IE how much correction did you need?

My optomitrist isn't crazy about Lasik due to some aborations.. are you seeing any more stars or glows post lasik?  Also do you expect over 2-5 years you'll need eyeglasses for distance anyway as eyeball changes?

Thanks!

Steve

• Posted

2nd Reply....Also Dr says I have a .25 astigmatism R and maybe .5 left.  Which is pretty minor and when I correct only cyclinder with the +.5 lens I do see what I think is 20/20 distance.  Can the cyclinder sharpen up enough to not need astimatism correction?  IE I don't think correcting both is needed?  But I don't know. 

S

• Posted

For my right eye done about 8 months back, before LASIK enhancement, my vision about 20/25 with a needed spherical correction of -0.25 D and cylinerical correction of -1.00D (much of it due to toric lens rortation). The Lasik enhancement (done at 5 weeks after cataract surgery) corrected it to 20/15. (Lasik enhancement was free in my lens package). The eye did change a little more in the subsequent months and now it is about 20/20.

The left eye cataract surgery was done about 18 years back, had ended up with a spherical corrction of about -1.D and a cylinderical correction of about -1.0D , was wearing a contact lens for reading (have been using monovision), got corrected for reading at about 18 inches, which gave me the targeted spherical correction of about -2.25 D and negligible astigmatism. Thus, the LASIK enhancement provided me the chane which I was lookin for.

In your case, if you are inclined to do any thing, I will suggest waiting until both eyes stabilize, then see if using one eye (preferably the one with the higher farsightedness and astigmatism) fo the intermediate distance with the use of a contact lens and the other one for distance works for you. You will be using mini-monovision and be able to do most of the activities (except reading) without glasses, If that works for you, then you can use LASIK (if desired) to get the same correction with LASIK.

I did not have any vision issues due to LASIK.

• Posted

Update.  Cat replacements were July 2017.  I had Macular Edema and that took 3 months to clear w 4 weeks steroid and nsaid, then 4 more weeks nsaid only then 4 weeks to be sure gone.  Soooo two days ago we started corrections.

I had yag on right eye 12/13.  Eliminated big star (from a "fold" blasted on PCO).  Glare is down about 50% but still has halo around singe point lights at night.  Left eye YAG scheduled for 12/20.

Then Feb 7, scheduled for epi-prk in both eyes.  I plan to go for plano distance and fix minor astigmatism.   I might try some contacts prior for dual vision maybe plano and a -1D???? Ideas??

Surgeon and optometrist both strongly said risk of replacement was not wise.  My z9002 Technis silicon are good lenses.  However I am now far sighted (hate it) I am 20/40 to 20/50 (+.5 and +.75 corrects to 20/20) at distance and everything less than 5' is extremely blurry.  I'll for sure need readers/progressives for close. 

• Posted

I personally prefer LASIK enhancement to PRK because of the shorter recovery time (PRK is better for contact sports), but both will provide equivalent correction so that you should go with what your surgeon is more comfortable with.

I will suggest aiming for -0.25D (instead of plano) for the dominant eye and -1.0 D for the non-dominant eye. Assuming that you may miss the target for the dominant eye by about 0.25D, you will be a lot better off if you end up at -0.5D than at +0.25D.

• Posted

Thanks again...at201.  Dr recommends EPI PRK with new Allegretto Wavefront Ex500 machine.  Says he can dial in Rx correct to 0 on both eyes for distance.  He said recovery is about a week.  3-4 days of temp lens while cornea heals.  So yes recovery stinks.  Anyway.

I did have YAG done in Dec and did help with stars and some of the glare or haze around lights.

However, now very strange that lights far way have very little halo.  Lights 40-100 feet have a large glare, especially those pinkish orange street lights; about 10-20 foot fog around the light!  Also when I am behind a car stopped at night I do notice VERY SMALL concentric rings (makes a halo) around most brake lights.  (Lens Construction?)  Also Florescent lights cause a flicker/glare.   SOOO....

MY opinion is that the silcon Z9002 lens that are wrong Rx are causing the refraction and glare in them some how.  Could that be possible?  I had one comment by Phys Asst, that wrong Rx can cause the glare.  

So Feb 7 I am scheduled for the EPI PRK and hope that helps with less glow around lights...thoughts? 

Since July 2017, this has been a long endurance test for better vision.  

• Posted

Error in prescription can obviously affect the glare. However, my opinion is that because of the Symfony lens design, you will see more concentric circles if you did not have glare or starburst. Those 2 effects essentially overpower the light difference in the lighted and dark bands which make the multiple circles.

The distance does have an effect on my seeing multiple circles. I see them primarily between about 50 feet and 300 feet. Essentially, at closer distances, the lighted and dark bands are too close to each other for one to see them separately (one may just see a glow around the light). At large distances the circles are spread too far away from the light and the lighted portions become too dim to be able to see them  distinctly.

• Posted

Sorry that I interpreted from your mention of seeing small multiple circles around light that you have a Symfony lens. So, my comments related to the Symfony lens don't apply to your situation.

• Posted

Most discussion lately has been Symfony!  Thanks for input.  I have about same glare with or without my Rx progressive glasses, corrected for distance and reading.  So even w corrected sharp vision I still have the halo at night around lights.  Best I can describe is like lights are in a fog and glowing.  Most single point lights do this.  (Temporary until EPI PRK Feb 7.) 

Do the yellow lenses help for real?

• Posted

Why don't you just buy a pair of yellow lens glasses on Amazon and try it for yourself? They cost around $20.

• Posted

Howdy Update is for AT and Lin.  RE updated post PRK.  I am 10 weeks post PRK and am just slightly nearsighted at -0.25D.  I rate 20/20 without glasses, but more like 20/25 ish for road signs and celestial stars.  So yes much better than the over corrected Rx I had before PRK. 

First 5-6 weeks post PRK I was about 20/40, now much better.  Dr says it takes 4-6 months maybe longer for eye to totally heal.  He is expecting 20/20 by end of summer!  I can also read my car instruments without any glasses as well.  I could not do that when I was overcorrected prior to PRK.  Also much of the glare in stores and lights has been cut by about 2/3rds -- so much better..  So yes glad I did it. 

Thanks for all your advice and help.  Mostly very accurate info.

• Posted

So happy to know that you had a successful PRK, which has given you about 20/25 distance vision and better intermediate distance vision.

I would take a slight nearsightedness over farsightedness any day!

I know that your eye is still changing, but am curious about what your cylindrical correction was when your spherical correction was -0.25D. That also can make a big difference in how well you see.

• Posted

Thanks AT...Yes good question.  Right eye has 0 cylinder correction. 

Left has a -0.25 at about 95 degrees..so left is a total of -0.25D and -0.25cylinder.  

Right is a very modest -0.25 or slightly less. So pretty good.  I am left eye dominate so wish it was other way.  But I'll take being nearsighted.  Really hated farsighted.

So not quite done yet, but this simple single vision cat surgery has been almost a year long.

• Posted

That is good! With your eye prescriptions as mentioned by you, you should be able to see 20/20 or even better soon.

Please make sure that your eyes are not dry. Eye dryness will cause some degradation in your vision even if you prescription is plano. You can use eye drops to reduce dryness (different ones work out best for different people, depending on the cause of the dryness). I was also helped by taking fish oil capsules (that helps if the dryness is due to insufficient lipids in the tears).

• Posted

Great learning curve! Thanks at201. Btw, a NIH-funded study found that fish oil supplements, which contain omega-3 fatty acids, are no more effective at treating dry eye symptoms in patients than a placebo. biggrinHowever, I am still taking them for my heart.
    • Posted

I am not familiar with the NIH-funded study which you are referring to,

However, in a recent Q and A from the famous Mayo Clinic, these are the excerpts from the answer:

"Research suggests that taking an omega-3 fatty acid supplement can reduce symptoms of dry eyes. Omega-3 supplements are safe for most healthy adults and generally have few side effects when taken in a standard dose."

"To maintain eye comfort and good vision, the front surface of your eye must be covered with an even layer of tears that contain the right mix of water and oils. If tears are not of sufficient quantity or quality to maintain that layer, dry eye disease (also called ocular surface disease) can develop."

"Research studies looking into the benefits of omega-3 fatty acid supplements have found fewer dry eye symptoms in people who take the supplement. It appears that omega-3 fatty acids can improve the eye’s oil film that’s produced by small glands on the edge of the eyelid, called the meibomian glands. That improves dry eye symptoms and reduces the need for artificial tears.

• Posted

There must be studies containing contradictory results for omega 3 supplements for dry eye.

This is on the mayo clinic site:  “Research studies looking into the benefits of omega-3 fatty acid supplements have found fewer dry eye symptoms in people who take the supplement. It appears that omega-3 fatty acids can improve the eye’s oil film that’s produced by small glands on the edge of the eyelid, called the meibomian glands. That improves dry eye symptoms and reduces the need for artificial tears.”

• Posted

janteje32476

I cannot take Omega 3 due to allergy so my doctor recommended flaxseed oil supplement.  Been taking those for another condition anyways and have continued ever since cataract surgery.

• Posted

LOL - should have read your reply first - I went to Mayo clinic myself.  I had read up on supplements for dry eye early on after surgery and have experienced a benefit from them.  Rarely use the artificial tears anymore.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.