Over done it.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am in my 7 th week post Tkr. Am 78. I went to the PT yesterday & he seemed quite pleased with me but always makes me feel I don't put enough into my exercising. I'm g My bend is 105 , he asked how much I walked & I had to confess @ 20 minutes he said I needed to do twice that SO this morning I went off for one HOUR ,since I came home my knee has been 'burning hot' even tho I have ice on it. Help !!!! Have I caused a set back & yet another sleepless night to come. It feels hopeless.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh Eileen,

you certainly have overdone it! You need to rest and ice now, and take it easy for a couple of days until you've got over your rush of enthusiasm.

You are doing great for seven weeks, but an hour?!?

Your physio sounds a little too pushy to say the least, I know they try to help and probably have to push some people, but your knee is now complaining to you that it's done way too much.

Listen to your body, it can take a year to get over this op and 7 weeks is pfft!

Please rest over the weekend and just do gentle exercises.x.

• Posted

Thank you Laura, I can't believe I was so stupid, I was getting along fine &'feeling so much better . I'll definitely take it easy for a day or two

• Posted

Don't worry, you haven't done any damage, just caused yourself some more suffering, which you can do without.

We all get there in the end, and you aren't even behind in progress if you can walk for 20 mins at this stage, and your bend is good.

Regardless of how we do it, fast or slow, after a year, I bet we are all in the same boat.

• Posted

The PT persons seem to believe we all heal at the same pace so they treat all in the same way.

This is not true as you can read in the replies in this forum.

I only did some slight exercises in a hot bath in the beginning .

Good healing

• Posted

Eileen,

If you`ve got 105 movement at your stage then you are doing very, very well !   Do what you feel is right for you. By 4 months you will be better still and at 6 months even better .   Don`t get pushed into doing what you are not comfortable with - then you`ll be fine.

• Posted

thanks Tony for your words of encouragement, I really do try with the exercises, as I know that it's down to me if I want the movement back. 

• Posted

Do hope you feel better soon Eileen and that rest and ice will help!
    • Posted

Thanks Chris, yes it was a warning I think to slow me down a bit as I tend to push myself. 
  • Posted

Hi Eileen, if I were you I would split up the time if possible. You are doing fine!  I am 16 weeks and still only at 110. It takes time to get therer and everyone is different and every knee is different. I still have pain too and just back off a little if I over do. Also ice your knee right after you do your waking. If you could possibly get into a pool and do exercises, that would help you so much. I love going in the pool! Good luck and just remember this is a long process. My Dr. told me it will be a year before I even foget I have had a TKR.
    • Posted

Thanks kimmers yes I willl definitely take it slower, I couldn't bear to go back to the early days, not that I get a great deal of sleep now, but the pain is less intense thankfully, I was just afraid I'd made it worse, 

• Posted

I went in for my two week exam and get the bandage off. Dr said everything looked good, Bend was good and straight was good.

He emphasized rest, rest and more rest. Go to pt and work on range of motion for the first six weeks. He's not a fan of walking a lot before then. He said that will come naturally when you have good range of motion.

Sounds like you needed the "rest" part. Take care.

• Posted

Hi Duckfan yes I definitely won't be over doing the walking again, I can't believe I inflicted this extra pain on myself & had such s rough night when I was doing so well. Definitely be more rest now

• Posted

Yeah Eileen,you've gone over & above. Just ramp it back a little.

I'm afraid some physiotherapists do not take into account their clients age, weight & exercise regime BEFORE the op. The good ones get you going without stressing you out & trying to kill you in the process.

As with all exercise regimes you need to work up slowly to where you need to be. eg If you want to be walking for 1 hour, start with say 25 mins & gradually work up to the whole hour. That was just an example you decide what you want to do & by when.

Take care

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Thank you Marilyn, yes I've had a really rough night after my hour walk will not be doing that again for a while. I felt good when I went but will build it up as you say when it calms down. Thanks for your reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.