Overactive bladder

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've had an overactive bladder for years, along with a prolapse bladder. I've tried everything.....meds, biofeedback, etc, etc. Had my urethra stretched a few years ago and this helped for a while. Just had a 12 week PTNS treatment and I was doing pretty well. After the 12 weeks Dr put me on a maintenance program where I go once a month. Well, I do have some good days, but most days I feel like I have to go constantly. It really gets to me.Dr suggested Botox, which I really don't want to do. Watch my diet, no spicy foods, no caffeine, etc etc.Dr doesn't want to do surgery. Has anyone had any success with other things and can offer me any suggestions. Thank you.

0 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

First, what is IC?  I've told you everything that I have and it's just OAB, for what reason, nobody seems to know.

Measuring quantity of urine is easy.  They give you this plastic hat that fits over the toilet bowl.  When you are finished pee-ing, you look at the # in ounces in the hat which tells you how much urine has been voided.

I did it for 12 hours so far; he asked me to do it on & off.  I'm curious myself.  So I put the time (i.e. 6pm) and quantity (4 oz).  Then maybe 7:30 PM (another 4 oz).  So far it has been that amount each time I go about an 1-3 hours apart.  

This will tell him in some way whether I'm a candidate for Botox.  I don't know if 4 oz is normal.  It may be...but not every hour.  

• Posted

Thats really interesting.   Never heard of it before.   Sounds like this dr. knows what he's doing.   A friend was just suggested that she try Botox, but never was it suggested that she keep track of her urine to see if she was a candidate for Botox.

I.C. is intestional cystitis.   It is a painful bladder condition which consists of pain, pressure and a no of other things.  You can look it up on the internet.    

• Posted

No, I don't have IC.  No pain whatsoever (luckily).

As for the toilet hat, i've known about that from the very beginning and asked to have one of those at my first appointment.  My first Dr. didn't think that was necessary - so passed it by.  It is only now that the PTNS treatment was not successful for me, that we have to evaluate more what's going on and measuring the time/volume of urine is an important issue for diagnosis.

Has anybody here tried the botox?  It's not as simple as I thought it might be.

• Posted

Havent heard from you in a while, wondering how you were doing?   Are you considering botox?
    • Posted

Hi, I'm going to the urologist today in a few hours with my urine record.

I guess we'll talk about that option.  I read about it; but it sounds a little scary.

I will be in touch after I see him!  Thanks...

Trudi

• Posted

Did you try a urogynecologist? I will ask my friend if she's had a reaction to the botox..

Don't give up.

• Posted

I did not try a uro-gynecologist, but I'm sure my Dr. will refer me to one if I ask.

Today has been awful - I've been having to go to the bathroom 3X/hour.  This is ridiculous.  Could it be stress?

I'm going to research the botox as well.....

• Posted

When I get stressed out I have to go a lot. I stress out over many things. When I'm relaxed or when I'm away I go like a normal person. I also have a very mild tranquilizer that i take when under stress. Stress can do a lot of things, so perhaps this is one of your problems.

• Posted

I just asked my friend if she's had a reaction to the botox. She jus emailed and said she decided not to do it as there was a chance the bladder wouldn't function and she would not be able to urinate. This is my friend who has I.C. and is in terrible pain. Don't give up and explore all options.

• Posted

This is why I remain skeptical about Botox.  It could make things much much worse and I would not want to risk that.

I guess we're in the same boat.  Keep me posted, anybody, on what alleviated this underrated problem.

Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Trudilu.   Havent heard from you in a long time.   Thought about you and how you're doing.  Hope you've found something that helped you.

Im doing well.    I was one of the lucky ones who that PTNS worked on.   Still on maintenance.

My friend is having her urologist examine her bladder on Tuesday and then will inject Botox.    She thought long and hard about this and is finally doing it.

Let me know how your doing.

• Posted

What does Botox do? My doc mentioned this yesterday if the meds and acupuncture dont work. He also mentioned some stim implant into bladder kind of like a pacemaker it sounded like. Know anything?
    • Posted

Trudi.....please let me know how your doing?I'm doing so so and just wondering if you found an answer to your problem. We have been going through the same thing.

• Posted

Hi Guys

Could you please help in sharing your insights to overcome this issue on overactive bladder. I am around 41 years old seriously having a problem of frequent pee at night affecting my sleep. My frequency is around  2-3 times and i would spent extra time around 20-30 mts at night to ensure my bladder is empty to avoid  disturbed sleep at night.

I am seriously p****d of with this as this is affecting my health as normally i would always feel tired at work time .

Please suggest a way to overcome this. 

Saurabh

• Posted

I’ve been told 1-3 times a night is normal so you are just above normal. I sympathize since I take ambien for sleep issues and this is one of them!! On Myrbetriq 50mg which helps and now doing acupuncture for 12 wks 1x week then Maintainance after that. Hope you find success!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.