Overactive bladder

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've had an overactive bladder for years, along with a prolapse bladder. I've tried everything.....meds, biofeedback, etc, etc. Had my urethra stretched a few years ago and this helped for a while. Just had a 12 week PTNS treatment and I was doing pretty well. After the 12 weeks Dr put me on a maintenance program where I go once a month. Well, I do have some good days, but most days I feel like I have to go constantly. It really gets to me.Dr suggested Botox, which I really don't want to do. Watch my diet, no spicy foods, no caffeine, etc etc.Dr doesn't want to do surgery. Has anyone had any success with other things and can offer me any suggestions. Thank you.

0 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Going through same thing. Was on Myrbetriq 25mg which upped to 50mg. I’m doing acupuncture on my 3rd week. 2st one seemed hopeful, 2nd week the tech I believe missed the nerve and left me in pain for 30 min! Today will be #3 with original person. The Nurse Practicioner took me off meds since she felt we wouldn’t know which was working between the two treatments. Had a bladder scan yesterday which was comical since she had me empty bladder and while she was doing test I said I have to go again she said no bladder shows empty . I said machine wrong and when I got dressed went straight to bathroom and sure as I said emptied bladder again. After all this Doc put me back on 50mg Myrbetriq, continue acupuncture and set me up for urodynamics test. After all is said and done he said if all this doesn’t work 2 options are Botox? and stim implant in bladder. Have to research these, that’s why I’m here!! Have you heard if any of these?
    • Posted

If by acupuncture you mean PTNS, I completed the 12week program and now on maintenance. It worked for me. I still have a bad day once in a while but sometimes I take an ibuprofen, which helps to relax my bladder.

By a stin implant I think you mean interslim. My gynecologist doesn't do this but says she's had good success with botox.Did you ever think of going to a gynecologist

I've had this problem for 10 years and the PTNS program has helped. Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you.

• Posted

I’m going to a urogynecoligist that I used 14 yrs ago for a prolapsed bladder. I just did 3rd week of PTNS and am also having a urodynamics test on the 16th of April. Hoping the PTNS works as I’m not sure about Botox or interslim. Thanks for answering, much appreciated!!
    • Posted

I also have  prolapsed bladder.   Have you thought about using a pessiary.  I have one and thinks this also helps.    It took about  7 weeks for the PTNS to start working.  

So hang in there.

• Posted

I had the prolapse surgery 14 yrs ago but thank you for the update on PtNs taking 7 weeks to see a difference!!! Gives me hope👍

• Posted

Hi I'm 23 year old Male and have had a contest feeling of needing to urinate for 2 years I have been on several different medications and tried acupuncture and Chinese medicine to which none of these methods or medications I have helped I'm wondering if anyone else has found a solution to the problem or if anyone has tried or heard of anyone who has had the interstim implant

this is something that has really affected me mentally to the point where I have suicidal thoughts everyday

• Posted

Hi jamie56792

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologies for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

Kindest regards

Patient

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.