Overactive thyroid and thyroidectomy

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all.

I have been diagnosed almost 4 years ago with hyperthyroidism. I start taking 10mg of carbimazole and then 2 years ago been reduced to 5mg. Then after having some family problems had to back to poland for few months where I totally done nothing about my thyroid. Anyway back to uk check blood test and back to carbimazole 25mg...following now 5mg again. Now I have swollen neck aswell. In this 4 years I gain 25kg and this is my nightmare! Look like typical pumpkin with my height of 158cm (5.2) I'm due to thyroidectomy on 27jan 18 and not sure what I can expect... Can I loose some weight? If I gain more I will have to go so some kind of psycho as I can look like that and having more depression. I read all those horror stories how bad it will be after thyroid removal. And yes I had option from my endo about radioactive iodine but during my work at airport I'm working with people so my decision was surgery(please don't judge).

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Again, in this case, Marta didn't indicate what type of hyperthyroidism she was diagnosed. And according to her recent test results available, her thyroid levels were all in normal. So it's a myth to me as what's going on and up except the troubling weight gain problem and other symptoms like tiredness, hair loss, etc? The only thing I suspect in this case is: why is Marta still taking high to medium dose ATM when test numbers are normal? Isn't that why she has experienced those symptoms (or side effects) like weight gain?

• Posted

What u mean what type of hyperthyroidism? I think I'm missing something here 🤔🤔🤔

• Posted

Hyperthyroidism has many causes such as autoimmune diseases like Graves or Hashimoto's thyroiditis, thyroid nodules and goiters, etc.  So you need to find out what the cause is for your hyperthyroidism.

• Posted

Thanks for answering for me. I guess Marta would need more info (from her doctor or help here) as for how to diagnose these different causes of hyperthyroidism: antibodies, iodine uptake scan, etc.
    • Posted

I found my paper work so here it is:

2014: weight was: 72kg, TSH: 0.005mIU/L (0.440-3.630), T4: 42.8pmol/L (12.4-20.4)

same time I did private blood test (biochemistry) and calcium/urea/uric acid/magnesium/potasium/sodium - was all normal

out of range was:

c-reactive protein(CRP): 7.8 mg/L ( range  <5.0)

gamma-glutamyltransferase (GGT): 88U/L (range 5-36)

creatinine 43umol/L (range 44-80)

then HAEMATOLOGY TESTS: ESR 27mm (range <20) - no idea what's that .....

(january)

seen my endo, I complaint about tiredness ,difficulty to loose weight, palpitations and nrethlessness on exertion, with some mild tremor but no eye symptoms. scan didnt shown any nodular thyroid disease, no palpable goitre or nodule. GREAT.

(march )

on examination I appear clinically euthyroid (dont know whats that?), weigh gone up to 80kg.

TSH 1.71mU/L, T4 13.8pmol. been advised to stay on 5mg carbimazole

**** cant find anything from 2016***

2017:

(january) 

TSH: 0.5mlU/L (0.3-3.94)

red blood cell count/ haemoglobin level/ haematocrit - all above level

(MAY)

cortizol: 341 (130-580 nmol/L)

T3: 4.5 (3.5-6.5 pmol/L)

TSH: 2.4 (0.3-5.5 mlU/L)

T4: 12.8 (9-25 pmol/L)

so basically everything is here... my mood and wellbeing is bad even numbers are in range...

now I have surgery on 27th  and 9th feb I have another appoitment with my endo...

YAY ME rolleyes

P Glucose: 4.6 (3.0-6.0 mmol/L)

• Posted

also... swollen ankles especially in heat, dry mouth and throat, snore, I feel my tongue is massive making me breath heavier..if u know what I mean... I dont know and I dont like this. 3 months ago also had costochondritis neutral I'm completly fed up

• Posted

Hi, Linda.

Just a quick comment about Grave's disease and Hashimoto's disease.

Hyperthyroidism is linked to Grave's, yes, but Hashimoto's disease is linked to hypothyroidism.

Best wishes to you.

• Posted

In my experience, while it is true that many Hashimoto patients treated strictly by the medical profession will wind up hypo, I have also met many on this Board who started out hyper, bounced back and forth from hyper to hypo with thyroid hormone blocking meds and thyroid hormone replacement meds and eventually wind up permanently hypo because Hashimoto's disease is extremely sensitive to these prescribed medications.  However, I have known others on this Board who had Hashimoto's and were able to normalize their results by using natural supplements (one lady by the name of Linnet posted her success story to this Board) and I know another lady on another Board who has both Graves and Hashimoto's (and that is a real challenge) and she was able to get control of her disease as well with natural treatments.  By far though, most people will be treated medically and accept those treatments, while others will do research and try different avenues for recovery.  It is strictly up to the individual to make their own choices about what kind of treatment they want..

• Posted

I'm sorry, Linda.

I must have read the thread incorrectly.

I thought that you were answering these two posts, in which it looked like to me that the posts were saying that there is Grave's/hyperthyroidism and Hashimoto's thyroiditis/hyperthyroidism, when it's actually Grave's/hyperthyroidism and Hashimoto's thyroiditis/ hypothyroidism.

?2 marta1980 Mike61308

3 days ago

What u mean what type of hyperthyroidism? I think I'm missing something here

?6 linda187 marta1980

3 days ago

Hyperthyroidism has many causes such as autoimmune diseases like Graves or Hashimoto's thyroiditis, thyroid nodules and goiters, etc. So you need to find out what the cause is for your hyperthyroidism.

Report this

? 0

Reply to linda187

I thought that you were saying that Hashimoto's was a form of hyperthyroidism, too.

So sorry.

Yes, I also know people who swing back and forth from one extreme to the other. I was swinging back and forth for years before I knew what was happening and before my diagnosis. It is quite a challenge and my heart goes out to them.

I, also, believe that it's a person's choice to choose. I remember the struggle of not knowing which way to go. It's a hopeless feeling.

One of my goals in life is to help others understand what I didn't, if even one person.

I appreciate your efforts here. It takes a kind heart to dedicate your time to those in need.

There's nothing truer than a volunteer's heart. (I read that somewhere.)

Again, so sorry for the confusion.

Best wishes.

• Posted

No apologies needed.  What you brought up was good to clarify.  
  • Posted

According to what Marta has shown as the test and med history, although the latest test result (July, 17) has indicated TSH went to the high end and T4 went to low end (sign of possible inversion), she was in euthyroid. Although there were no antibody tests, her (ultrasound) scan seemed to conclude with no nodular problem and so this could be a case of GD... but I am not so much convinced yet at this point though. First, I doubt most troublesome symptoms Marta mentioned may not be "symptoms" of hyperthyroidism, but the side effects from taking ATM or other health disorders. Second, it sounds like her thyroid is nothing close to a troublemaker now. Hope Marta's coming new test before surgery schedule time continues to show a clear picture of good thyroid and so to avoid the surgery-- at least temparily. GL

• Posted

Hi Marta,

So sorry you are going through so much. I also have Grave's and understand so much! I used to be in the mindset of "keep my thyroid", but I've learned quite a few things and realize it is not always the reasonable option--this is unfortunate, but true. Like you, I much prefer the surgery option (TT or total thyroidectomy) over RAI as RAI is known to have more side effects and sometimes needs repeating.

Both Grave's and Hashimotos are autoimmune diseases triggered by antibodies. They are truly antibody disorders that affect our thyroid. Studies have shown that after TT surgery, the Grave's antibodies usually dramatically decrease. This is one reason it can be a good option. This is also why working on our immune system health isn't always a cure (which is frustrating, I know) because those antibodies are so active and often don't respond.

I didn't see your antibody levels (TSI or Trab) in your bloodwork, but those are often a good indication if you are close to remission. For instance, when I was first diagnosed, my TSI was very high. After being on medication, my TSI came down, but is still high and won't budge. Therefore, TT may be the only option to make it go down into a normal range. I already take care of my immune system (including taking vitamins) and take my Grave's medication, so those things alone are not working. Maybe your situation is similar?

You may want to get your TSI tested. If your TSI is close to being in a normal range, maybe you are close to remission. If your TSI is out of range, surgery may be your best option if medication isn't working.

I know it's a hard decision, but I'm wishing you the best! smile

• Posted

I have Graves disease.  My antibodies are non-detectable now and I got that way by using Acetyl-L-Carnitine along with meds and other supplements.
  • Posted

marta

im not a doctor  .. but once i started on Carbimazole to lower the antibodies i then started on extremely vital vitamins ,  minerals and nutrients

everything then  came together

i'm  now Euthyroid ... i.e.  Normal

.... IT CAN BE DONE ... not always but it can be done.

but in  order  to get you  'fixed '  you must get to a Doctor ... soon 

it may be you actually  have Hashimotos  with is where  you swing from Graves to Hashis   ... and so it's vital you get the correct treatment 

phone your Surgery and  tell them it's an Emergency .. then tell your Doctor just how bad you really are ,

insist youre tested for  Hashimotos and Graves antibodies

TAKE a copy of you bloods .... and if you can afford it ... make a Private appointment with an Endocrinologist 

who you could see as quickly as a WEEK . 

mx🌹

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.