Overactive thyroid and thyroidectomy

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all.

I have been diagnosed almost 4 years ago with hyperthyroidism. I start taking 10mg of carbimazole and then 2 years ago been reduced to 5mg. Then after having some family problems had to back to poland for few months where I totally done nothing about my thyroid. Anyway back to uk check blood test and back to carbimazole 25mg...following now 5mg again. Now I have swollen neck aswell. In this 4 years I gain 25kg and this is my nightmare! Look like typical pumpkin with my height of 158cm (5.2) I'm due to thyroidectomy on 27jan 18 and not sure what I can expect... Can I loose some weight? If I gain more I will have to go so some kind of psycho as I can look like that and having more depression. I read all those horror stories how bad it will be after thyroid removal. And yes I had option from my endo about radioactive iodine but during my work at airport I'm working with people so my decision was surgery(please don't judge).

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Everybody is different honey and will react to the surgery in different way. I have a friend who had theirs removed and have never had an issue since, I on the other hand have but I also have other medical conditions. No one should judge honey, I was advised not to have the iodine treatment because I had a 1 year old at the time. I can’t yive you advice but can offer any support you may need xx 
  • Posted

Hi all thank you guys for all support. Had thyroidectomy on Saturday... Already at home Discharge. Feel goos so far, even realise that I can breath better while sleeping than before And I even stop snore.... Still bit sore bit thats normal. Seeing soon my endo and so far I have 125 levothyroxine
    • Posted

I was diagnosed with graves disease in November. The last two months trying to get treatment has been disappointment after disappointment. I was started on 10mg of mithimasol and no change in lab results or symptoms. Then 20mg of mithimasol and no change in lab results or symptoms but change in liver function. I am at a loss of what to do, I know I do not want radioactive iodine and am not going to be able to continue on mithimasol long. My endocrinologist suggests to increase mithimasol and have thyroidectomy. I am looking a for positive out look to being hyopothyroid post surgery. Thank you for your updates marta1980.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.